2016 Hardware Benchmark - DCS World 1.5.x

I would be interested to hear more about the performance gains from different RAM speeds since mine is currently set at 1333.

So at the moment, DCS is not optimised for VR at high presets? I hope this is fixed as VR is the future of DCS IMHO and I struggle to believe that a 960 should be able to run high preset VR as well as a 980Ti!

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested to hear more about the performance gains from different RAM speeds since mine is currently set at 1333.

So at the moment, DCS is not optimised for VR at high presets? I hope this is fixed as VR is the future of DCS IMHO and I struggle to believe that a 960 should be able to run high preset VR as well as a 980Ti!

You can make assumptions of what will happen when and at what speed that will happen and if that matters or not - based on what we think we know :)

If your VRAM is not big enough it will start to offload into System RAM, to make this happen you need lots of Protocols and chips on your mobo and vga card to make this happen. Keeping it all in VRAM makes this so much easier.

From the VRAM back to GPU into PCI-E through the Integrated Controller Hub into Memory..DONE wow what a ride :( and now back to GPU cause now you need that data back to process another frame....here we come BABY..

you see how quickly not enough RAM of any form causes the system to start playing with itself...and this story is as old as computing on silicon is, period.

Faster RAM helps to speed that bottleneck, but it is far better to avoid that bropken neck at all and rather have more decicated RAM, in this case called VRAM.

So the answer is yes, it would help you speed it up, but only at 1 specific step on this high ladder. Still, anyway, I would try to find the reason why in your case it runs only at 1333 but should at 1600 ?!

Swapping any data due to lack of memory is BAAAAD :D

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

4K on anything smaller than 27 inch is wasted pixels. Not to mention all of the problems you get with unreadable text.

But at tje same time 27 inch is too big for a desktop monitor. For gaming too close unless you are sitting with a keyboard on your lap while sitting further away. I have a 28 inch TV in my own room and I don't sit right in front of it like you would do with a pc monitor. For moving images sitting too close to a larger screen isn't good for you and you can feel it in your eyes. Imo it's just too in your face for a 27 inch monitor on a desk.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Awesome thread, subscribe. Now Its really exciting to see how NTTR benchmark performance with these cards. Particularly GTX 960. Thanks a lot.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

But at tje same time 27 inch is too big for a desktop monitor. For gaming Unless you are sitting with keyboard on your lap so your sitting further away. I have a 28 inch TV in my own room and I don't sit right in front of it like you would do with a pc monitor. For moving images sitting to close to a larger screen isn't good for you and you can feel it in your eyes. Imo it's just too in your face for a 27 inch monitor on a desk.

Honestly, I think european guys tend to have smaller screens and US guys tend to have them LARGER.

4k on a 50" screen is like 640x480 on a 14"....

---> that's my personal approach: Pixel density over diameter

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

math: 50" screen 60Hz ( if lucky ) and ONE DOT moving diagonal across your 50"

1 step about every inch....and now people complain about stutter, back to math 1st grade elem. school :)

you cant fool math and you cant fool your eyes

Honestly, I think european guys tend to have smaller screens and US guys tend to have them LARGER.

I don't know what that pixel density you speak of is but surely it doesn't matter because it's not on the stickers at the mall. :music_whistling:

Edited by Bucic

I don't what that pixel density you speak of is but surely it doesn't matter because it's not on the stickers at the mall. :music_whistling:

Think of it as a grid, the further you pull the edged apart the more coars it gets.

To have the same pixel density on a 50" screen compared to example my macbookpro retina you would need about 16k or even more. It goes x 4,

15"vs50" that technique is nowhere heard of yet.

Even 4k on a 50" looks lousy compared to 4k on a 27".

That, is pixel density, and its got a sticker

you have never looked for.

;)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Think of it as a grid, the further you pull the edged apart the more coars it gets.

To have the same pixel density on a 50" screen compared to example my macbookpro retina you would need about 16k or even more. It goes x 4,

15"vs50" that technique is nowhere heard of yet.

Even 4k on a 50" looks lousy compared to 4k on a 27".

That, is pixel density, and its got a sticker

you have never looked for.

;)

Wasn't the sarcasm obvious? :) I had to learn everything about it when I got a 130 ppi laptop. Also sentences like "high ppi is not good because fonts are too small" is not something we should blame the author of the sentence for. It's the direct effect of how backward the computer software industry is.

As for the subject of ppi, resolution and human capabilities, everything has been covered in the visibility/smart scaling threads. This of course doesn't stop new 'I can see targets just fine on my <states only the screen size> display' posts.

Thank you for your input in this thread.

I will take 55 inch 4K over a tiny PC monitor any day of the week. You don't get big immersive screens and worry to much about ppi. 4K at 55 inch in a pit is perfect match right now until tech catches up. It's interesting to see that overall wether we are multi screen or 4K screen. That performance is still limited by a bottle neck at a certain point.

As for above whatever floats your boat for immersion I have done them all VR best my number one and large screen in pit second. 3 screens where cool when I used small screens.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Well, I do see your point, no doubt but le tme point out another fact one cannot put aside as it is pure math and geometry.

Say you have a large, 55-60" 4k, bound to 60Hz. lets say 60" and 60Hz that makes it easy math wise.

Now you have an object travelling diagonal through your screen with the speed of 1sec/pass.

Result is, you will get an update every INCH of your screen, there are no frames for anything inbetween and this starts to look very stuttery ( in fact, I think, some stutter in here is misinterpreted due to that understanding--or not ) the bigger your screen gets.

This wisdom is as old as computergames and for decades the recommendation is to play on the smallest screen you like and not the largest if resolution is the same.

4k at 50-60" would be ok at real 100 to 200Hz real refresh rate and a GPU capable of delivering.

When I switch my monitor to a standard LCD it all goes south, that is how much high fps, stutter free Gsync and high Refresh Rate make it more enjoyable ( at least for me ) compared to coars pixel salad.

For 50-60" I want at least 8k to get motivated to pay for that, until now they still lack Full HD support on many or most channels. Youtube and Netflix ( AppleTV ) are the actual only real

apps where I can utilze my 1080p TV. Most broadcasters only send 720p if they send it for free ( Satellite ) at all.

I could live with 60" 60Hz for a game like Wargames, C&C..etc.... but no F1 game, no Collin McRae and for sure not DCS in low level flight at Mach 1+, that is where the real 120+ fps shine and the others fade away.

Still won't convince me as I have no perceivable stuttering due to by Sony 4K at 60 hz. Good info but having a pit almost 1:1 size on screen is much better experience then I ever had with 3 27 inch monitors in Nvidia surround

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

um im not European im Canadian.

math: 50" screen 60Hz ( if lucky ) and ONE DOT moving diagonal across your 50"

1 step about every inch....and now people complain about stutter, back to math 1st grade elem. school :)

you cant fool math and you cant fool your eyes

There are monitors with better refresh rates, . even though my monitor is just a 24 inch 1080p, it is certainly higher end since it is capable of being set up to a 144hz refresh rate and it has 1ms response time as well as being 3d capable.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

better pixel density only matters up to a point, too high of pixel density you'd need very good vision, or to sit really really close to the screen to really make use of it, though a big screen with the same pixel density as a small screen is always better, so long as there's a gpu powerful enough to drive it... I use 1440p in DCS, and my gtx 780 barely cuts it, i doubt a 980ti could run 4k at a solid 60+ on decent graphics settings, though I'm sure if you turned a lot of stuff down it might.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

better pixel density only matters up to a point, too high of pixel density you'd need very good vision, or to sit really really close to the screen to really make use of it, though a big screen with the same pixel density as a small screen is always better, so long as there's a gpu powerful enough to drive it... I use 1440p in DCS, and my gtx 780 barely cuts it, i doubt a 980ti could run 4k at a solid 60+ on decent graphics settings, though I'm sure if you turned a lot of stuff down it might.

The high end Fury X amd with HBM memory is 4k Capable with a single card.

second Generation HBM with amd 400 series will only get better.

Next generation Nvidia pascal carcds will have HBM, and overall have much more potential.

The most importrtant thing is they finally shrinking the die again. We are looking at 14-16nm cards. For the past few generation we have been stuck with 28nm graphics cards.

SO i guess with the next gen highest end cards we should be capable of doing 4k gaming without having to resort to crossfire/SLI to get smooth performance in 4k.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!

Sorry I hadn't had any time to follow the debate. In the mean time I did some wrapping up on the CPU architecture tests before I proceed to DCS 2.0 testing. For sure I will not do the CPU arch testing ever again, it's way too time consuming.

5.3 CPU architecture impact on the FPS:

The purpose of this test is to test out the impact of the different CPU architecture on the general FPS performance. I have selected the FHD resolution as a starting point, which is in my books considered a 'low' resolution. CPU tests are always done on 'low' resolutions to exclude the possible GPU bottleneck.

This was one of the most time consuming tests which I don't want to repeat ever again.

I hadn't had the chance to test FX 8350 yet, but hopefully I will be able to do so in the upcoming weeks. I guess it will do around ~ 65FPS on average.

Test systems:

- CPU: (as listed before)

- MB:

• Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
  • Gigabyte F2A88XN Wifi
  • ASUS ROG Maximus IV Gene-Z
  • ASRock Z77-Extreme4
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Gene
  • MSI B150 Gaming Night Elf
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Extreme

- RAM:

• 4x4GB DDR3-2133 C10 12-12-28 1T @ 1.35V
  • 2x8GB DDR4-2800 CL15 16-16-34 1T
  • 2x8GB DDR4-2133 CL15 15-15-31 2T

- GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G

- Drive: 128GB Crucial BX100

- Cooling: factory cooling on CPU; factory cooling on GPUs

- Monitor: Dell 2713HM

- Drivers: Nvidia 361.43

Game settings (expect for the resolution which is 1920x1080 FHD):

Y81qQHr.jpg

Final results are as following:

S61ObAj.png

imHqwAa.png

GPU Architecture Impact result analysis:

- Please allow for +/- 2% result accuracy. The overlapping graphs peak/dips are always a good sign of a reliable data aquisition.

- Please note that Core i5 6600 setup was running on a non-overclockable B150 motherboard, thus memory ran at DDR4-2133 CL15 15-15-31 2T. Just by running it on a Z170 motherboard and cranking up the memory speed we would see up to 10FPS boost.

- Please note that Core i7 6700K setup was running using DDR4-2800 CL15 16-16-34 1T memory settings.

- Core i7 6700K stock clock is 4GHz, hence the same results for non-OC and OC test

- Broadwell with it's 128MB L4 seem to offer nice boost compared to Haswell. When set to 4GHz (which this sample did with factory voltage) it even surpases Skylake.

Also updated TL;DR :pilotfly:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

200_s.gif

smartass.gif What have we learned so far (tl;dr):

Compiled list of lessions learned:

1. If budget allows - get a fast (overclockable) quad-core CPU! Yes, DCS scales great up to 4 cores!

2. Overclock your CPU: Frequency is the king! Most of the GPU performance will be CPU frequency bound.

3. Skylake rocks this game, the 6700K or alternatively 6600K is the best choice at the moment. Get the lowest bin Core i5 CPU and overclock it via BCLK on a supported Z170 motherboard if budget it tight!

4. Faster memory yields noticable performance gains, especially in the minimum FPS range

5. Flying in 4K on PC: On AMD R9 series - make sure to use DisplayPort (DP) 1.2 for 4K@60Hz - do not use HDMI as HDMI 1.4 isn't cutting it (only 30Hz refresh rate). On NVIDIA GTX 9xx series use either DP1.2 or HDMI (supports HDMI 2.0).

6. Flying in 4K on TV: AMD is currently not a good choice for 'cheap' TV 4K. The problem is that these R9 200/300/Fury/Nano cards can only put out 4K@30Hz over HDMI 1.4. The only way to get 4K@60Hz on current gen AMD is to use DisplayPort (DP) video outputs, which works great - 4K PC monitors with DP video inputs are readily available, however DP 4K TVs are not. If your 4K TV only supports HDMI it's better if you get NVIDIA. Alternatively you can purchase DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter which bypasses all of the aforementioned issues. At the time of writing (Jan 2016) the cheapest 55" 4K@60Hz TVs with DP video inputs are still 8-10x more expensive than their HDMI 2.0 counterparts.

7. Overclocking of the GPUs tested yield noticable gains starting with WQHD resolution. Lower performance GPUs than the ones tested (e.g. GTX 750) will benefit from GPU overclocking even in low resolutions.

8. It is safe to say GTX 960 is currently the price/performance king for playing DCS at WQHD (2560x1440) while GTX 970 is the P/P king for playing FCS in 4K. For playing DCS at FHD resolution an AMD Radeon R7 370 (basically only about 10-15% slower than R9 270X) or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 will be great. If money is tight consider higher-end last gen GPUs.

9. CrossFireX work and scales nicely but seem to cause micro-stuttering. The latter can be remedied by setting MODEL VISIBILITY to off (however I haven't found that function in settings as of version 1.5.2).

10. Multi-monitor WALL setup - with 'regular' FOV (field-of-view, e.g. "1 Monitor" preset within the game settings) - performs equally good as the single-monitor setup at comparable (total) resolution. Therefore it's possible to build a cheap large, high-resolution screen out of smaller panels.

11. Multi-monitor BOX setup - with high FOV (field-of-view, e.g. "3 Monitor" preset within the game settings) - heavily taxes the FPS, regardless of your graphics card, most likely because of the DCS 1.5 engine limitation. A workaround is to set the MEDIUM graphics preset to enjoy high FPS.

12. VR setup (2160x120 - "Stereo" mode) is - despite the low resolution - very demanding on this game and one needs to resort to lowering quality settings in order to achieve 75FPS+. A high end and a low end GPU perform pretty exactly the same, a sign of engine bottleneck.

Edited by tiborrr

This thread definitely should be a STICKY!

Excellent work Tiborrr.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Took you by the word witv #1 and kicked a gear higher ;)

Stable at 5GHz thanks to Asus OC Extreme Phase control.

Been on 104th for a few hours in the Ka and i have to say.... Yes...another few fps more.

Orher thing. Needrd to DDU my NV and install an older driver that didnt lock VRAM at 3005MHz

When it loves 4001MHz for DCS.

The Ka is the most taxing module I use and any fps on top of given 50-60steady fps is more joy.

Loving EDGE