Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update

Cobra847

Excellent update.

Anyone else noticed this? As far as I am aware, the Viggen does not have a TFR.

A bit of a misnomer.

The mode is called ground avoidance and is basically TFR without the automated steering.

Basically, just a submode of the ground radar which shows any terrain extending beyond a specified altitude.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent update.

Anyone else noticed this? As far as I am aware, the Viggen does not have a TFR.

The terrain avoidance mode (swe. hinderindikering) of the AJ(s) is a submode of the radar that sets a very thin and wide radar beam along the horizon. This results in the radar only displaying contacts that are on the same altitude as the aircraft. What the radar scope will show is a maze-like display where the clear parts is open air and the radar return areas being terrain that is the same elevation or higher (since normally the ground does not float in the air).

Terrainavoidanceswe.thumb.PNG.dc288d0c6b56001cc62b435a7ac29ca6.PNG

So in theory, the aircraft can fly at low altitudes or through mountain passes by using the radar alone. Simply fly through the open areas of the radar display and you should avoid hitting the ground. This is not allowed in real life as it does not always display weak very small objects such as radio masts and such, but the daring among you should'nt have too much of a problem.

Very neat feature. Not as advanced as a terrain following radar which is largely automatic, but very useful.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

attachment.php?attachmentid=131931&thumb=1&d=1451747010

The small picture "a" - how can the radar know that there is just a mountain peak with nothing behind it? Shouldn't that area, the radar shadow, not also be displayed as "terrain"?

In that case I would even better understand that relying solely on this radar mode is prohibited: you would have onyl a limited picture and could easily maneuver yourself into a dead end.

Precisely. You only see the "front" part of the terrain. If you see a wall of radar returns quickly moving towards the bottom of the scope, you may to climb...

A good map on your knee and the radar should work however. Not recommended, but it does work.

Edited by Jediteo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So the part about "Advanced RWR including recording and recon features" sounds really cool. Im assuming it pertains to the Viggen.. does anyone have information on where the RWR is located in the cockpit and how it operates? Also kinda curious what information the recon features can provide.

[..]

Website News Section

A long overdue update to our website in the form of a new News section is now available.

If you find it difficult or time consuming to follow the forums or hunt down updates from us; we'll be cross posting anything relevant to this page.

This includes smaller announcements such as notices and warnings.

We've been fairly quiet over the course of 2015; with a mere half a dozen major updates scattered across the year, but this is of course has only been a temporary period that is soon coming to a close.

Thus, heavy use and far denser updates on this page are to be expected.

EDIT: Will go live on the 1st. I broke it.

So it is live?

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Fantastic read, LN really cares about its projects. I find LN Bug Tracker exemplary, I wish ED would use bug tracker too.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I so can't wait for this to come out. If it was coupled with a DCS Naval Battle Group for Carrier Operations that would just be the icing on the already great cake to come

IR

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

A bit of a misnomer.

The mode is called ground avoidance and is basically TFR without the automated steering.

Basically, just a submode of the ground radar which shows any terrain extending beyond a specified altitude.

Cobra i got a question or two for you.

When you do plan on doing the proper announcement of the F4U-1D Corsair and AJS 37 Viggen will you also include details on supporting AI units that comes with the planes? Secondly, are these AI units planned upon initial release or later down the line?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Skjold

So the part about "Advanced RWR including recording and recon features" sounds really cool. Im assuming it pertains to the Viggen.. does anyone have information on where the RWR is located in the cockpit and how it operates? Also kinda curious what information the recon features can provide.

There is a series of six lights arranged around the radar scope (just within the course ring) that will flash in the direction of the signal (and heading can be seen due to the course ring). The RWR will play a certain tone in the headphones based on the radar frequency (type) that is received.

instrumentpanel.jpg

As for reconnaissance, the AJS is primarily for maritime / naval recce, with a number of modes for determining the position, course and speed of ships.

Edited by Jediteo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a series of six lights arranged around the radar scope (just within the course ring) that will flash in the direction of the signal (and heading can be seen due to the course ring). The RWR will play a certain tone in the headphones based on the radar frequency (type) that is received.

As for reconnaissance, the AJS is primarily for maritime / naval recce, with a number of modes for determining the position, course and speed of ships.

Oh thanks! That sounds like it'll be really interesting to get used to, and a ton of fun trying to remember which tones mean what haha.

I'd really like to see recce missions available for DCS World. I used to enjoy flying them in Strike Fighters 2 (didn't come across any others that had such missions that I can remember).

Get to the location - overfly the subject (sometimes at uncomfortably low altitude) and get the intel safely home, dealing with any threats along the way.

I don't much like AA combat, but in this kind of mission I'm happy to have a go.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I'd really like to see recce missions available for DCS World. I used to enjoy flying them in Strike Fighters 2 (didn't come across any others that had such missions that I can remember).

Get to the location - overfly the subject (sometimes at uncomfortably low altitude) and get the intel safely home, dealing with any threats along the way.

I don't much like AA combat, but in this kind of mission I'm happy to have a go.

I'd commit various illegal activities if I could get SF2's Mercenary campaign mode for DCS, amongst other things such as the recce operations.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I'd commit various illegal activities if I could get SF2's Mercenary campaign mode for DCS, amongst other things such as the recce operations.

Dream bigger. Imagine if you will, a mercenary campaign where you got to select your starting country and aircraft and select from several different wars going on at any one time. Home base management to upkeep your fleet. Contracts and bidding for when you purchase new aircraft or enter a war. A detailed contract system to help influence offers and bonuses depending on which faction you aligned with.

Someone needs to make that , i would spend more than a full module's worth on a detailed merc mode like that...

Edited by BIGNEWY
1.1 profanity

Thank you for the update, I suggest you don't have to work all the bugs off the F-14, The USN never fully sorted them out, just have a Form700 filled out and the pilot can sign them off pre-flight

(The RAF still use the F700 which the polit signs out the aircraft, accepting, or not...generally the former. During a flying da if crews swopped over there could br update, as seen on knee pad notes and unofficially passed crew to crew, much to the annoyance of the ground techs)

It should be snagged, but the crews just want to fly.

There was at least one Swedish pilot killed in service doing just that, when his wing tip hit the water in a turn (when identifying a Soviet vessel*). So yes, flying uncomfortably low was something that they did on a daily basis.

Besides flying low you also had the stress put on you as a pilot with more or less constant radar illumination and lock on. Flying this low you also had problems with the radio communication to your home base. That was however usually solved by having a pair of interceptors flying high as overwatch and relaying radio traffic.

* I'm at work now, but I can provide the exact details about this incident later.

Dream bigger. Imagine if you will, a mercenary campaign where you got to select your starting country and aircraft and select from several different wars going on at any one time. Home base management to upkeep your fleet. Contracts and bidding for when you purchase new aircraft or enter a war. A detailed contract system to help influence offers and bonuses depending on which faction you aligned with.

Someone needs to make that , i would spend more than a full module's worth on a detailed merc mode like that...

TakeMyMoney.gif

Edited by BIGNEWY
1.1 profanity

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Thanks for the update!

To be honest, I wasn't expecting the 2 remaining aircrafts to be announced...

But seeing this update leaves me thinking that the announcement could have been done before. I say this because some months ago you said that you wanted to make a proper announcement, with some art in it or something like that...

That said, of the three announced modules, only the F4 suits my taste.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB