Want to chat with a recently retired A-10 combat and instructor pilot?

dabomb

Yes

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to hear a recording of it too, has he flown in DCS World at all?

I'm pretty sure he is aware of DCS World, however I'm not sure he's flown in it, A-10 or otherwise. I will confirm tonight when I talk to him.

Okay, so it looks like we have about 20 people interested so far. Trying to have that many people in TS asking questions is going to be like herding cats, so I propose we do a "standard" Q&A where you can submit your questions in this thread, and I will forward them on to Pete who can answer them for you on TS.

I'm thinking if this format looks to be working out and people behave, maybe we can open it up for some interactive Q&A. Thoughts?

Also, it looks like this get together will take place on Saturday, Jan. 9 at 3:00PM PST, GMT-8. TS address to follow Saturday AM PST.

-dabomb

Question: Which of these DCS A-10C screenshots looks more "real"?

(The latest version changed how the terrain looks in the TGP. Both show the same targets from the same general position, altitude, and distance, but in different versions).

TGP_1.2.16_Zoomed.jpg

TGP_1.5.2_Zoomed.jpg

• ED Team
Question: Which of these DCS A-10C screenshots looks more "real"?

(The latest version changed how the terrain looks in the TGP. Both show the same targets from the same general position, altitude, and distance, but in different versions).

Why waste your question on something that is already being looked into by ED as an issue with the older map and better textures for it?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Let me just fire off a set of questions that come to my mind right now (but the one above, about TGP contrast, is the most important one for me!). ;)

Question: After flying DCS A-10C for almost 5 years, I still sometimes press the wrong HOTAS switches and mix everything up in the heat of my virtual battle.

How long did it take you to get really confident in the jet?

Question: Which evolutionary steps of the A-10 did you experience in your career (LASTE, TGP, A to C, Suite 1 to ? etc.)? Were newer versions always better?

Question: Have you flown other fighter or attack aircraft? Which one is your favorite?

Question: As an instructor, what is the first thing you teach your students?

Question: As an instructor, what is the most important thing you teach your students?

Question: Have you ever been shot at in battle? Have you suffered battle damage?

Question: What was your most dangerous situation (inside or outside of battle)?

Question: What was your best/funniest/most memorable situation?

Question: Will the F-35 be able to take over the A-10's CAS duties?

Question: Should the A-10 be retired soon or kept alive as long as possible?

Question: Now that you're retired: What's the worst violation of regulations you ever got away with? ;)

Why waste your question on something that is already being looked into by ED as an issue with the older map and better textures for it?

a) The point has been made (or hinted) several times across different threads that what we have in 1.5 might not be as unrealistic as many people think. By far the best chance to get an expert's opinion yet.

b) My time/question to waste

c) Who said everyone only gets one question to ask?

d) See c) :D

SiThSpAwN,

Recently, a drone operator stated that, in fact, the "new' views are more realistic. And that DCS made A10's views "too clear" Some of the posted footage would refute that, so I too, am curious. My thinking was that technology would be different on a cheap (relative) drone compared to an actual aircraft. But one could also argue that the latest drones have newer technology.

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'd like to join in as well. I don't even have Teamspeak, but I'll install it to listen in.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm thinking if this format looks to be working out and people behave, maybe we can open it up for some interactive Q&A. Thoughts?

Sounds good!

I guess you'll have to be the host and moderator. :)

Just a suggestion: How about everyone on TS set their mic to "Muted". First, this would get rid of all the unintentional voice activations ([Clears throat], "[Ding dong] Honey, you gonna answer that door?!", "[bark bark bark] Shut up, wuffie!").

When someone wants to say something (ask a question, get clarification on an answer) they set the status back to normal, but no one talks unless you say "User XYZ, you have the word".

Basically, whoever has the status set to normal indicates he/she would like to say something, and everyone who remains muted is fine with just listening for the time being.

In any case, I think it really makes sense to have him answer whatever questions you pick/he'd like to answer, and if time permits, do an interactive Q&A afterwards.

What do you think?

Edited by Yurgon

In any case, I think it really makes sense to have him answer whatever questions you pick/he'd like to answer, and if time permits, do an interactive Q&A afterwards.

What do you think?

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I am going to send him the link to this thread on Saturday morning and let him read over the questions. Then he can answer them as he sees fit. And yes, time permitting, I'd like to see if we can do an open Q&A at the end.

-dabomb

Assuming it wouldn't be too much trouble... I wonder if this might be willing to stream this on twitch or something? You could play DCS while teamspeak is going in the background.

Unless you are going to be too busy moderating the chat to focus on DCS?

Just a thought, btw thank you for setting this up, looking forward to the recording.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Questions:

- How stressful is a combat sortie?

- How do you prepare physically and mentally for missions? (Pilot rest n stuff)

- I've read that sorties in the OAF could have at times 3 vul periods and about 4 to 5 AARs, what was your longest combat sortie?

- And this is my fanboy question: what was the most badass weapon delivery you've ever done?