Su-27 controls in DCS vs RL

rami80

I was watching this video

where a pilot performs a cobra. He first pulls the stick and then when maximum aoa is reached he forces it down all the way until the nose starts going down and then pulls the stick slightly backwards. When attempting this in DCS the plane's nose falls to rapidly. Should this be reported as a bug? It feels like one of the reasons the aircraft has troubles pointing its nose in game.

No, it seems to take the same 3 or 4 seconds for the nose to come down:

It might have something to do with the airspeed at which the maneuver is initiated, too. I haven't paid too much attention to the time it takes at various airspeeds.

Nice link by the way. It shows what's happening in the cockpit well.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

No, it seems to take the same 3 or 4 seconds for the nose to come down:

It might have something to do with the airspeed at which the maneuver is initiated, too. I haven't paid too much attention to the time it takes at various airspeeds.

This isn't exactly what I was pointing at. If the stick is pushed forward as in the video, after the nose levels it will continue moving downward.

Glad you like it :D

This isn't exactly what I was pointing at. If the stick is pushed forward as in the video, after the nose levels it will continue moving downward...

And what you see starting, just as that clip ends, is the quick, snap of the stick back to stop the downward movement. :)

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

You don't know the Wings of Russia Studios docus? :O

They've made docus about most Soviet/Russian planes, even detailed docus about MiG-25/31, Su-27, MiG-29, Tu-160, Mi-8 and Mi-24. Fantastic watching. In the general series about the planes (sorted on type of planes) the narrator is a bit hard on the ears, but he actually grew on me quickly and I like hearing him now. :D

They're THE best docus on Russian hardware out there. Western crap is just that, crap. Too full of propaganda (bashing Soviets and grandizing their own) that I stopped watching them years ago. Russians, on the other hand, stay on topic and deal mostly with facts not myths. :D

This isn't exactly what I was pointing at. If the stick is pushed forward as in the video, after the nose levels it will continue moving downward.

I fly my cobra just like that; however, for the nose to not fall down, the cobra has to be initiated from about 600 km/h (and not much faster nor slower). Also, I sometimes enable the auto-leveling AP right after the maneuver to prevent the nose from falling as well. Works decently well for me.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I fly my cobra just like that; however, for the nose to not fall down, the cobra has to be initiated from about 600 km/h (and not much faster nor slower). Also, I sometimes enable the auto-leveling AP right after the maneuver to prevent the nose from falling as well. Works decently well for me.

Any reason why not slower than 600? I've done them successfully at 300-350 and no problem.

And for some reason autopilot doesn't work for me, in no FC3 plane that I fly nor in Su-25T.

Any reason why not slower than 600? I've done them successfully at 300-350 and no problem.

For me, slower speeds made it harder to prevent the nose from falling down - but that could be just my overall poor technique... :music_whistling:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

600kmh is way fast for cobra, AFAIK that manoeuvre's optimum performans is between 300-350kmh.

I noticed that over 400kmh, aircraft gains too much altitude for cobra manoeuvre and I guess 600kmh is near limit for wing stress and possible damage which we'll see on dcs flanker with future updates

correct me if I am wrong:)

Edited by archer86

600kmh is way fast for cobra, AFAIK that manoeuvre's optimum performans is between 300-350kmh.

I noticed that over 400kmh, aircraft gains too much altitude for cobra manoeuvre and I guess 600kmh is near limit for wing stress and possible damage which we'll see on dcs flanker with future updates

correct me if I am wrong:)

A quick run through Wolfram Alpha estimates that at 90-degree angle of attack (used a Cd of 1) a 62 square meter surface moving at 600 kph at sea level on a standard day produces 10,076,000 kilogram-force of drag. Su-27 at 50% fuel is ~23,000 kilograms. 10M / 23k = 434 times the force of gravity on the plane.

So, yeah, no cobras at 600 kph.

So, yeah, no cobras at 600 kph.

DCS certainly lets you perform cobras at that speed, however, I tested archer86's suggestion of doing the cobra at ~350km/h, and I agree - the handling is much more controllable, and there's hardly any altitude gained. So, I stand corrected! Thanks! :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com