How to navigate in the Mirage

DarkFib3r

I am wondering how you navigate in the Mirage without using the F10 map?

For example, let's say there is a thick cloud deck and you are wanting to fly from Batumi to Gudauta. Since Gudauta does not have a TACAN, you can use Batumi's TACAN (16X) and fly a radial for a set distance. But if the Batumi TACAN has a limited range, how else would you use the instruments in the Mirage to find that specific air base?

Continuing, let's say you want to fly to Nalchik. This air base does not have a TACAN, but it does have an ILS (110.50). Is there any way you can pick up a bearing and range to this ILS in the Mirage without intercepting the localizer?

I am thinking that the INS system may have a way of pointing you in the right direction. There may be other navigation options, like nav radios, that can be used in the Mirage. Setting waypoints to the air base(s) in question is an easy answer, but assume that this is not an option, for whatever reason. Any hints on how to to perform navigation to airbases on-the-fly without TACAN in low visibility situations would be greatly appreciated!

NBDs? Also dead reckoning. I would look at the map prior to the flight and use the distance-measuring tool to plan vague waypoints. For example fly heading xxx until established on Batumi TACAN.

The other problem is that I don't think you can intercept a radial in the Mirage yet because the heading knob on the HSI isn't functional. It will move but the heading will not change.

For example, let's say there is a thick cloud deck and you are wanting to fly from Batumi to Gudauta. Since Gudauta does not have a TACAN, you can use Batumi's TACAN (16X) and fly a radial for a set distance. But if the Batumi TACAN has a limited range, how else would you use the instruments in the Mirage to find that specific air base?

Yes, you can use the TACAN to fly radials from it when it's fully implemented. Yes, there's range limits and line of sight issues with it, so you can't go anywhere from one point. If there's no other navaids to use and INS is out, then you effectively cannot fly many places during IMC conditions. It's the same way IRL; no usable approach to the airport, no landing at it in IMC.

Continuing, let's say you want to fly to Nalchik. This air base does not have a TACAN, but it does have an ILS (110.50). Is there any way you can pick up a bearing and range to this ILS in the Mirage without intercepting the localizer?

IRL if you're off an airway and not flying RNAV, GPS, or vectors from ATC then you will not be arbitrarily flying a heading you give yourself from your own flight planning to intercept a localizer. You also cannot pick up bearing or range from an ILS because it shoots only one radial out in a very narrow direction and is a weak signal, meaning that you'd have to be very close. You do not want to guess headings or even rely on flight planning because 95% of the time the winds are not as reported exactly when you're in the air. For DCS's sake you could probably get away with it if you're at 0 wind and stay on top of your game.

I am thinking that the INS system may have a way of pointing you in the right direction. There may be other navigation options, like nav radios, that can be used in the Mirage. Setting waypoints to the air base(s) in question is an easy answer, but assume that this is not an option, for whatever reason. Any hints on how to to perform navigation to airbases on-the-fly without TACAN in low visibility situations would be greatly appreciated!

There really is no other option when there's no nav aids to use and INS is out. Your best bet would be to fly a radial off a TACAN and hope you're in range of the ATC facility to obtain vectors before you run out of TACAN range, but even then you have no way to descend IMC into the airport. IRL military bases have PAR (precision approach radar) approaches that talk you down (left, stop, descend faster, descend slower, etc).

The first time i flew with the included Su25 and i wanted to find an AFB to try some touch and go's i simply opened comms and asked for directions for the nearest AFB. I realise this is far from perfect and in a full blown IFR needed situation it helps very little but it got me near an AFB within minutes.

I know this is not the answer you seek but at times you have to think out of the box.

What i plan to do is print map sections of my operations area with the AFB i will be needing. Given i know my current posit by a relative approximate i can navigate with little aid needed. This is ofc only works if you got a good sense of orientation.

Also keep in mind that during hostilities there is a good chance that airport localizers wil most probably be off so asking the AFB or AWACS for directions is actually the way to go.

Served me for ages.

Fly safe.

Greek/German origin.

Flying sims since 1984.

Using computers since 1977.

Favored FS's:F/A18 Interceptor, F19 Stealth Fighter, Gunnship, F16 Combat Pilot, Flight of the Intruder, A320, Falcon 4.0, MSFS 2004-X, DCS

I'm kinda wondering why everyone talks about TACAN and radio navigation, but almost no one talks about the INS, which should be the primary navigation system in the M2000. Am I missing something here?

The INS provides you with all the information you need (distance, heading, time, coordinates) to navigate somewhere.

Edit: Nvm, I just read the last paragraph of the OP again and now I see what I miss.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Primary system is INS.

When completed, it will allow you to edit any WP in the air.

You want to go somewhere ? Choose WP number, edit lat/ long...here you go.

In case of INS failure, for instrument approach or to find tanker you have VOR & TACAN.

No INS, no TACAN, no VOR...things start to get interesting :music_whistling:

Map and compass !

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

how do you change waaypoints in the mirage , is there a button for it on the INS panel instead of ( Ctrl+` )

DEST

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Real nice INS navigation video from Jack Flash.

Very good approach and a text book landing.

:thumbup:

Greek/German origin.

Flying sims since 1984.

Using computers since 1977.

Favored FS's:F/A18 Interceptor, F19 Stealth Fighter, Gunnship, F16 Combat Pilot, Flight of the Intruder, A320, Falcon 4.0, MSFS 2004-X, DCS

Great landing enigma6584, i'll be trying to duplicate it this evening !

I've been trying to follow the glide slope indicator (hud) all the way in but just before the runway at Creech it drops suddenly and then climbs rapidly which troughs me off.

When my speed goes below 140 knts the bird just drops out of the sky ! Possibly because I have set 0 wind ?

I've also been having major problems with the brakes although, last evening I put the anti-skid on and it was much better.

Does anyone have a video of a landing at Creech airforce base ?

Good video. :)

@ work, can't listen to it so can't comment on the explanations, but view & flying is OK.

Perhaps a few remarks?

- you should raise your seat, it makes it easier to read the PFM & guidance brackets on the HUD

- placing the FPM on the threshold instead of the touch-down = goind under the glide slope on short final

- AoA a bit high when touching down: 18.3° that's too much, tailstrike risk (probably a consequence of 2nd point).

Regards

Az'

spacer.png