Introducing EWRS - Early Warning Radar Script

Steggles

The only dumb question is one that's not asked in my books.

All this script does is provide a text based BRA reference to friendly clients for any hostile aircraft detected by radar. It doesn't have the functionality you're after. Sorry mate.

Thanks for your reply Steggles, do you know if what I'm looking for exists ? :cry:

Gerat.

You can do it via script... i can try to help you in a few days. Can you script lua?.

Using moose also will help you.

Hi Matador,

Resuming.. NPI :D about lua scripting... I'm new on the mission editor, but my willing is to learn how to build complex missions, so I'm open to all the help. Also I'm reading a lot these days and improving my knowledge on this.

Thanks for your offering mate :thumbup:

Hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of taking your script and modifying it a bit to work as a WWII early warning radar. Basically dumbed down the report to only give a generic group size(singular a/c are not reported), only range, bearing and a rough altitude (low / med / high) will be reported. Recommend turning off the ability for bogey dope. The current report will direct you to which ever group you wish.

I did this to fit into my WWII campaign that I run. I was using Fog of War before and this will allow me to turn that off. Full credit to you is in the code with just a mention of me having made the WWII modification.

Thank you for the great code!

WWII EWRS.lua

Maybe Steggles could add a variable to the script that controlled the detail of the returned info to be similar to what you describe. You might be able to keep bogey dope then as it was possible I believe to get vector to target info from sector ops plotting stations even as early as 1940 so I imagine capability increased as the war progressed.

Just thinking from my own experience that it is better for the community to have one script that covers multiple situations than multiple scripts.

Well, the bogey dope would allow it to track to the nearest singular target. The info returned is already basically just that, but towards a group instead of singular target.

Regarding a singular script, I think the WWII need is so small at this point, no need to clutter up the script to try and do it all, but if he wants to, that's up to him of course.

• 1 month later...

I get an error message when I try to load this script. It says there is an unexpected symbol near <, which is pretty unhelpful.

Maybe my version of mist is outdated?

Other ideas?

Thanks.

-------------------

Edit: I tried with the latest version of Mist, and the error message still pops up at the 5 second mark where the EWRS script should be loading.

Tried the WWII version and it works very well, but it's not what I need for the mission I'm building.

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I'll take a look this arvo after work. I haven't changed anything for a while. Did it spit a line number out at all?

• Like 1

-16AGR- 16th Air Guards Regiment is always looking for pilots - http://www.16agr.com

EWRS - Early Warning Radar Script

Specs:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S

Intel i5-4670k 3.4GHz OC'd 3.9GHz w/ Thermaltake 120mm Water 3.0 Pro Liquid CPU Cooler

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080

TM Hotas Warthog: SN: 06976

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

TrackIR5 with TrackClipPro & Oculus Rift

2x 28" 4k UHD Monitors (3840x2160 each) + 1280x1024

I'll take a look this arvo after work. I haven't changed anything for a while. Did it spit a line number out at all?

Thank you for your quick reply, but I just figured out what was wrong. Just to be sure I copied and pasted the "raw" lua into notepad++ and that did the trick.

P.S. This is an amazing piece of work. This is just what we've needed for the Russian fighters for a very long time now.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 1 month later...

Steggles, I installed your EWRS script yesterday, but never managed to get the automated BRA messages to show any information. It would show up, but be empty. I could call for a bogey dope, and there it would show the information.

DCS 1.5.4.57288 release branch, using Mist 4.373

And very great script, thank you.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I'll take a look when I get some time, hopefully in the next few days. Any chance I can get the mission you're using?

-16AGR- 16th Air Guards Regiment is always looking for pilots - http://www.16agr.com

Specs:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S

Intel i5-4670k 3.4GHz OC'd 3.9GHz w/ Thermaltake 120mm Water 3.0 Pro Liquid CPU Cooler

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080

Any chance I can get the mission you're using?

Sure, Thx. Ongoing thing, so dont judge :)

Ive basically switched the automated report off for now, set to something like 2 hours. So you have to edit in the .miz to get it back on.

Edit: P.s. Just jump in any of the figthers, and head inland, like 040. After a few minutes, a hostile CAP will spawn, matching your plane choice.

The Shooting Gallery.miz

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Just solved the puzzle. I had 'ewrs.maxThreatDisplay = 0' and just changed to 6, and now it displays the info. Dunno why it gets swamped or what ever, when I have it set to 0 (all). A gazillion late activation's maybe?

Another question though. Is there anywhere I can change the font size, to make it all a little smaller?

Unfortunately the function for outputting text to screen doesn't allow font size adjustment, so it's just the one size for everything. I looked for that when I first wrote it.

I'll take a look at maxThreatDisplay and if I haven't set 0 as display all, I'll add that in. Again, when I find the time.

Specs:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080

New Version

New Version

Fix for maxThreatDisplay being set at 0 showing no threats instead of all threats. - Thanks Knock-Knock for bringing this to my attention.

Added Mistral Gazelle and C101CC.

https://github.com/Bob7heBuilder/EWRS

• Like 1

Specs:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the latest update to 1.5 the F10 menu options are no longer available.

That should be fixed with the update released on Friday the 23rd.

Specs:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080

Can this script use a defined package radio frequency to display messages ? ( Should be more realistic to be able to disable it by switching radio frequency

My current workload is super high ATM and I've get next to no time to work on this script. That's a cool idea and I will look into it when I can. No promises on timeframe (expect it to be months).

Specs:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080

Great work Steggles!

I found a small bug by coincidence today. In the validSearchRadars table the BUK SR designation is wrong.

In the script it says: "SA-11 Buk SR 9518M1" while the GT.Name in the Database is "SA-11 Buk SR 9S18M1" (95 vs 9S), essentially leaving out the BUK-SR.

cheers!

Beef

• 7 months later...

How exactly does the detection work? When I put EWR in ME, the one that can mimic AWACS, and include this scirpt, when EWR at F7 (AWACS) request bogey dope reports an aircraft, then F10 reqest bogey dope sais picture clear. It will detect the aircraft only when it comes really close (like for 25 nm). Only one enemy aircraft, one friendly radar and one player in the mission.

And great work as I still rather talk to your script than to F7 AWACS. Its sometimes really difficult with this guy. I just wish they will give me the same results :)

The Ancient Fox

The script actually pulls information from the radar units on what units it has 'detected'. As to why the F7 picture knows it's there and the script doesn't I couldn't tell you. Theoretically it should be using the same information.

I haven't touched or even looked at this script in a long time, so it's possible it might be slightly broken with all the updates since I last looked at it. If I can find time, I'll try sit down and double check everything again sometime this month.

Specs:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...