Another map wish list

Celestiale

I think in terms of realism, plausibility of war zones,and pure potential all the new maps are a pretty bad choice:

NTTR - training map over the US. No war zone - civil map. Beside the city of Las Vegas nothing interesting to watch. They could at least have included the grand canyon, to make it more interesting, and airfields further away from the center, to make it suitable for a desert war scenario. The way it is right now, the only interesting thing i can see is taking the Huey out over the city, but that doesn't justify 50 bucks for me.

Hormuz - some 700km to the west, and it would have been the perfect spot. With planes like the Mig21, 29, the confirmed Mirage F1, AI Migs and Su's, we would pretty much cover the whole Iraqi air force for both gulf wars, and the same goes for Iran with the F5 Tiger, Tomcat, F4. We could use the US stuff for Operation desert storm. The biggest aerial battle after second world war (1. gulf war) All of this on a small 300x300km map including Iran, Iraq, and Quwait..but no...we got straight of Hormuz..where probably never happenend anything. Pretty much carbon copy of the NTTR, civil map with one nice city to fly around....so much potential wasted

Normandy - why? just why? The area around Normandy was one of the least significant in terms of air war in the whole second world war. The German planes we have like the Dora and the 109K never fought there..why not go 500km east, include Belgium and the Ruhr district, and have a map for both the Ardennenoffensive and the perfect spot for Reichsverteidigung, because till the end the Ruhr district was the main target of US bomber raids..109 K4 and Dora also have both been used in the Ardennes attack, and in Reichsverteidigung. Perfectly historical, plausible, and also a more interesting map with the Ardennes itself, and the huge urban area around the Ruhr.

On top of that now Leatherneck apparently makes a map for Iwo Jima. Iwo Jima, where pretty much no aerial battle what so ever happened. There are so many really significant aerial battles in WW2 PTO. Battle of Coral sea. Midway. Truk. Also more then enough battles where the Corsair would fit in perfectly like Guadalcanal, New Guinea, or the Philippines. But in Iwo Jima only thing the Corsairs did was bombing rocks..

Really disappointed with the set of maps coming, a lot of potential wasted.

• Like 1

-NTTR: Promise map to A-10C Beta purchasers, and future ED Red Flag Campaign map incoming, and test bed of DCS: W map engine.

-Hormuz: F/A-18C carrier operations test bed and first real "combat map" to DCS: W. Come with propel AI units. The 300x300 are only a "plan", remember NTTR start with 300x300 map display and has grown to 850x850 km long. On a year past from the official announcement, the map can be "extended".

-Normandy WW2: Promise map of RRG Studios WW2 Kickstarter Bakers now under ED responsibility (with all others modules promise on the KS). Come with propel AI units, size unkonow by now.

The LN Iwo Jima map has your first 3rd party map to test the new SDK map get to ED and get experience to build more expense maps in the future. We not know the extension of proper map. The map can coming with propel AI units.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

We're only just getting 2.0, so now is the time that more maps will get introduced. ED have just spent the last few years remaking and delivering someone else's failed promise, so that's will have no doubt held things back.

I'm certain that there are a few different maps in the works that have not been officially announced, by ED and their third party companies.

These are definitely exciting times.

-Hormuz: F/A-18C carrier operations test bed and first real "combat map" to DCS: W. Come with propel AI units.

First real combat map? I think a war between Georgia/Abkhazia/Chechnya/Dagestan/Russia is way more plausible and realistic then between Iran and the Emirates

• ED Team

I moved the thread as the personal opinion threads tend to escalate quickly into chit chat.

We will see how we get on with this one.

If you are unsure about the forum rules you can check them out here

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

First real combat map? I think a war between Georgia/Abkhazia/Chechnya/Dagestan/Russia is way more plausible and realistic then between Iran and the Emirates

A war between Iran and the Emirates became more likely since last week ;)

@Celestiale

I hope that the Gotland map which is presumably in development by LNS makes you more happy :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I moved the thread as the personal opinion threads tend to escalate quickly into chit chat.

We will see how we get on with this one.

If you are unsure about the forum rules you can check them out here

Apart from very few lines -

(L1) all the new maps are a pretty bad choice

(L6) the only interesting thing i can see is taking the Huey out over the city, but that doesn't justify 50 bucks for me.

(L13) ...so much potential wasted

(L26)Really disappointed with the set of maps coming, a lot of potential wasted -

i did only present facts, and not a personal opinion. But ok, if that is enough to move it into chit-chat, so be it. You are the moderator

That countries has outside of the actual proper "Caucasus" map limits, and you not have the appropriate country or army units necessary to recreate a war scenery properly (Chechenya war), except the Russian Georgian war of 2008. Other point the Caucasus map dont represent the actual map, only a "fictitious conflict" with Russia and Georgia.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

That countries has outside of the actual proper "Caucasus" map limits, and you not have the appropriate country or army units necessary to recreate a war scenery properly (Chechenya war), except the Russian Georgian war of 2008. Other point the Caucasus map dont represent the actual map, only a "fictitious conflict" with Russia and Georgia.

Not Abkhazia. That one is very much within the map ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

A war between Iran and the Emirates became more likely since last week ;)

Let's rather say a war between Saudis and Iran ;) but they are not on the map, and don't come as faction apparently...

Abkhazia, Chechnya and Dagestan are all on the map. I can draw you the areas right into the DCS map if you want me to.

I know it's fiction, but it's plausible, it's something that could have happened, or could still happen.

Edited by Celestiale

+1 for Ardennes

+1 for Deseert Storm Iraq/Kuwait/Iran map

+1 for Normandy, there was lots of action in preparation of D-Day, so why not. A german fighterplane feels very much at home in France :lol:

-1 for "unluky" Airfield choices of NTTR

-100 for Humuz. Pointless and first ED product I will not buy

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

Let's rather say a war between Saudis and Iran ;) but they are not on the map, and don't come as faction apparently...

But the emirates are their allies and some of them (if not all) have also closed their embassies in Iran. So they would probably be part of such a war.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think in terms of realism, plausibility of war zones,and pure potential all the new maps are a pretty bad choice:

NTTR - training map over the US. No war zone - civil map. Beside the city of Las Vegas nothing interesting to watch. They could at least have included the grand canyon, to make it more interesting, and airfields further away from the center, to make it suitable for a desert war scenario. The way it is right now, the only interesting thing i can see is taking the Huey out over the city, but that doesn't justify 50 bucks for me.

Hormuz - some 700km to the west, and it would have been the perfect spot. With planes like the Mig21, 29, the confirmed Mirage F1, AI Migs and Su's, we would pretty much cover the whole Iraqi air force for both gulf wars, and the same goes for Iran with the F5 Tiger, Tomcat, F4. We could use the US stuff for Operation desert storm. The biggest aerial battle after second world war (1. gulf war) All of this on a small 300x300km map including Iran, Iraq, and Quwait..but no...we got straight of Hormuz..where probably never happenend anything. Pretty much carbon copy of the NTTR, civil map with one nice city to fly around....so much potential wasted

Normandy - why? just why? The area around Normandy was one of the least significant in terms of air war in the whole second world war. The German planes we have like the Dora and the 109K never fought there..why not go 500km east, include Belgium and the Ruhr district, and have a map for both the Ardennenoffensive and the perfect spot for Reichsverteidigung, because till the end the Ruhr district was the main target of US bomber raids..109 K4 and Dora also have both been used in the Ardennes attack, and in Reichsverteidigung. Perfectly historical, plausible, and also a more interesting map with the Ardennes itself, and the huge urban area around the Ruhr.

On top of that now Leatherneck apparently makes a map for Iwo Jima. Iwo Jima, where pretty much no aerial battle what so ever happened. There are so many really significant aerial battles in WW2 PTO. Battle of Coral sea. Midway. Truk. Also more then enough battles where the Corsair would fit in perfectly like Guadalcanal, New Guinea, or the Philippines. But in Iwo Jima only thing the Corsairs did was bombing rocks..

Really disappointed with the set of maps coming, a lot of potential wasted.

+1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Abkhazia, Chechnya and Dagestan are all on the map. I can draw you the areas right into the DCS map if you want me to.

I know it's fiction, but it's plausible, it's something that could have happened, or could still happen.

Sorry , I mismatch Abkhazia with Azerbaijan. What part of Chechnya and Dagestan are on the actual proper map if the map finish on the west of Georgia Capital Tbilisi?, Only relieve map without roads, villages or cities (grozny) and only a small part of a frointier with dagestan with NDBs with point to nothing?.

Sorry , I mismatch Abkhazia with Azerbaijan. What part of Chechnya and Dagestan are on the actual proper map if the map finish on the west of Georgia Capital Tbilisi?, Only relieve map without roads, villages or cities (grozny) and only a small part of a frointier with dagestan with NDBs with point to nothing?.

Chechnya_and_Caucasus.png

Only small parts of Dagestan are on the "proper" DCS map, a little more from Chechnya. Still. I didn't even mention Ossetia and Cherkessia before, which are completely included in the DCS map, and also "war/crisis regions"

But the emirates are their allies and some of them (if not all) have also closed their embassies in Iran. So they would probably be part of such a war.

True that. I didn't say that i can't live with it, i actually could live with a "greater Arab against Iran" war, i am just sad that the quite close region around Quwait, Basrah and Mashahr wasn't made instead. I think in terms of modern era jet fighting, it can't get better then Vietnam (where we have most of the aircraft missing yet) or Iran-Irak (were we will have pretty much any aircraft within the next 2 years). I am just sad, that we missed out on that opportunity

I presume NTTR was (still is?) a side-project from some military contract (just like the A-10C was), so PC player's preferences didn't matter much.

Normandy project is a leftover from RRG (although one might ask if it wouldn't be better to drop it and start something from scratch, Ardennes?).

Straight of Hormuz choice might be a bit puzzling indeed, I agree. However...

...Your observations were repeated so many times on these forums, by so many posters in so many threads, that I'm not surprised this thread ended up in chit-chat section.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Normandy project is a leftover from RRG (although one might ask if it wouldn't be better to drop it and start something from scratch, Ardennes?).

The RRG KS bakers surely dont like see a promise break only for move them to other "map" (ardenes and other map was part of KS, but not reach the proper milestone)

The RRG KS bakers surely dont like see a promise break only for move them to other "map" (ardenes and other map was part of KS, but not reach the proper milestone)

I think every reasonable backer(!) would prefer a Ardennes-Ruhr map over Normandy due to above mentioned reasons

I agree with OP.

And the maps are mostly explained with being old promises, but I find it to be some wierd promises to make in the first place. :)

I personally love to create maps for Arma, but with A3, I lost pretty much all interest in the game, so I have a hard time getting them done. I wish there where a better way to get into map making for DCS, because right now all the DCS content seems so... random... And I love to create stuff, but I hate it when I dont want to use it my self.

As an example, an afghan or Iraq map would really make me enjoy the A-10c or SU-25 for a very long time because of the scenario/history posibilities. I would love to start on an afghan map myself -but unless Im mistaken, right now there really is no way to create stuff like that unless you are some kind of approved pro-developer team.

My personal wish for DCS, is the ability to get into map-making and more consistent "realism-themed" developing instead of random this and that. (Yes I know, different developers..)