DCS: F-86F Official Interactive Training Missions

derelor

In the real world, if a ground crewman is standing beside the aircraft, and there is no engine noise, would you need to switch on a radio to talk to him?

You wouldn't use a radio anyway. Imagine the jabber and confusion when a dozen planes get prepped for flight at the same time. It would be either hand signs or a headset plugged into the plane.

OK, include no jabber as well as no engine noise.

In reality, a wink, a thumbs up, rotating your finger tip, or saying "OK Chief I'm ready for some of that magic juice you guys know about". Or of course, your crew chief might have some kind of idea that you might actually need ground power to start the engine. It's all replicated with a menu entry. I have tried talking to the ground crew, but Comms menu/F8/F2/F1 is what you actually have to do. It also means the missus doesn't look at me as if I've lost my marbles.

To cut a long story short, keep your cockpit open, and you don't need to use the intercom. The menu works as if you are either making a gesture, or saying "OI! power on now slave!"

One thing in the sim I would like is for the F-86 pilot to say "Turn on the ground power please". I'm sure the crew chief has feelings even if he is just a bunch of code, so saying please is a good way of showing you care.

Sure, the comms options might as well be hand signs. Even if they're voice, they probably won't need a radio powered. At least in the A-10C, you have to correctly set a dial (if you're not on easy comms) so that mic goes to ground intercom instead of radio. I don't know right now if the Sabre needs a similar setting.

• 2 weeks later...
Sure, the comms options might as well be hand signs. Even if they're voice, they probably won't need a radio powered. At least in the A-10C, you have to correctly set a dial (if you're not on easy comms) so that mic goes to ground intercom instead of radio. I don't know right now if the Sabre needs a similar setting.

Yup - I was just wondering what all this "speaking to ground crew" was about, when starting up.

After leaving the forces, I worked as ground crew at very busy international airport (but only worked on twin-propped aircraft and the BAe-146). My specific job was ground power and the 146 was the only aircraft we used intercom for - all the rest were hand signals, but you could use hand signals for every plane on the planet - that's why they are there.

Radio? Pffft! :P

and...

Look at 4:10 in that vid.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Well made again, thanks. I only wish they'd be voiced one day so I wouldn't need to pause all the time to read the instructions.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

I'm not getting the instructors voice in any of the training missions, just a "chirp" at the beginning and then only aircraft and exterior noise.

No problem in other aircraft training missions.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

There is no instructor voice atm. That's what I meant above. ;)

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Just a few notes about the landing tutorial...

- It says max descent rate of 1500 ft/s instead of ft/min

- It says retract flaps after leaving the runway. I thought it was standard practice to retract flaps after touchdown to help slow you down

- It says retract airbrakes after leaving the runway. I thought airbrakes were supposed to be kept open to allow maintenance crew access.

- After parking, is there a way to de-pressurize the cockpit before opening the canopy to avoid the ear ringing? If so, that would be nice to add to the tutorial.

Thanks.

About the landing tutorial would be fine to have as well the same mission without all the text, with just a briefing at the beginning then we are on our own. To practice the approach and landing again and again without those pause and speech :)

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a few notes about the landing tutorial...

- It says max descent rate of 1500 ft/s instead of ft/min

- It says retract flaps after leaving the runway. I thought it was standard practice to retract flaps after touchdown to help slow you down

- It says retract airbrakes after leaving the runway. I thought airbrakes were supposed to be kept open to allow maintenance crew access.

- After parking, is there a way to de-pressurize the cockpit before opening the canopy to avoid the ear ringing? If so, that would be nice to add to the tutorial.

Thanks.

Thank you! Landing training mission updated - please try again ;)

EDIT: Takeoff mission updated, too.

Edited by derelor

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

Added updated takeoff training mission with voice-over.

Please tell us what you think.

Very nice. Nice clear voice. My only comment is about the timing. He instructs me to retract the gear and flaps well after I've done so. Like when I'm already at 140 or 150 kts and have been airborne for several seconds. So, maybe that instruction could come a little bit sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

Uploaded navigation training mission - please give feedback.

Note there can be a little issue due to a recent bugfix with AN/ARN-6 frequency band selection logic. If you encounter this problem, simply select the band position 180° from the correct one.

Next will be "A2A Guns".

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

voice overs?

are they all going to have English voice overs? so far only the takeoff mission has it.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

are they all going to have English voice overs? so far only the takeoff mission has it.

Yes, that is the plan.

If you have the time, please tell us what you think of the training missions. Feedback is very important to us.

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU