Low frame rate

Galm1

Hold on a second mate... I don't think I need to look at how DirectX works. Common sense would dictate that software (which DirectX is) in order to get full capability and instruction set to work on the hardware... need hardware fully supporting this instruction set.

Like I said, everything that happens on your system, must go through the CPU.

I think I will leave it now as I think I am right and have given the reasons for that. If you think otherwise and that motherboard chipset and CPU type does not matter (in this case) then so be it... I will only agree to disagree.

I don't know how to explain this in plain english. But I try. If you have DX11 graphics card, your system is _FULLY_ DX11 compatible. Only directX compatibility thingies in you MB or CPU are their Integrated Graphics Adapters.

Even your CPU has not compatibility with dx11, but its IGA has (but it doesn't play a factor since nobody uses his/her IGA to play this). So its not a thing CPU does.

Of course a PC uses CPU to process orders and calculations. Your PC wouldn't work without it. In DirectX case it offloads DX calculations to your GPU through API.

Once again. If your system has DX11 graphics card (in a pci-e x16 slot...) then your system is fully dx11 compatible. DirectX is a thing for sound cards and graphic adapters. Not a thing your CPU does (not including it's integrated graphics adapter).

Here's a few easy to read explanations;

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/319621-28-directx

http://steamcommunity.com/app/261760/discussions/2/540736965900645494/

Core i7-2600K @ 4.7Ghz, Asus GTX 980 strix 4Gb VRAM, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Samsung 1 TB SSD, Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD, MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just run "dxdiag" and look at the output for your display. Shows the DirectX version.

:doh: But of course. It's funny how one always overlooks the obvious. FWIW & as expected, it says DX11, so this system at least is fully DX11 compliant. Which then closes this particular line of inquiry I think...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Hold on a second mate... I don't think I need to look at how DirectX works. Common sense would dictate that software (which DirectX is) in order to get full capability and instruction set to work on the hardware... need hardware fully supporting this instruction set.

Like I said, everything that happens on your system, must go through the CPU.

I think I will leave it now as I think I am right and have given the reasons for that. If you think otherwise and that motherboard chipset and CPU type does not matter (in this case) then so be it... I will only agree to disagree.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it isn't how it works, sorry. Your common sense is failing here.

Before the last update my frame rate was 40-60 ,

now it 20-25 with failures and to 2-5 , with frequent jams graphics . It does not matter if i'm off line or on the server. I'm not an expert in programming, i do not know how to correct that anomaly, but I'm sure that something is not good after the last update. All settings are constant and have not changed anything. I hope in the next update be corrected reason why is bad fps .

Sorry for bad english , salute to those who work hard to make me enjoy.

Before the last update my frame rate was 40-60 ,

now it 20-25 with failures and to 2-5 , with frequent jams graphics . It does not matter if i'm off line or on the server. I'm not an expert in programming, i do not know how to correct that anomaly, but I'm sure that something is not good after the last update. All settings are constant and have not changed anything. I hope in the next update be corrected reason why is bad fps .

Sorry for bad english , salute to those who work hard to make me enjoy.

+1

You can lower visibility distance to low. You can lower shadows to flat only. Just to name a few. If your pc cant run it on high settings then common sense would be to use lower settings... whuch you haven't done but you complain anyway.

Not when having the same settings means having worse performance. And I still have to see a huge graphical enhancement...

Still, the doubled RAM usage is not explained.

The 8 GB RAM minimum amount in the specs is not enough.

Now, I do understand that v 1.5.3 has a BIG FPS drop (I had 60 fps before now I have 30 fps...), but I keep asking about the RAM amount, because my game and PC keeps FREEZING. The game takes up all the RAM and just starts slowing down everything. It's not rare that the game just gets stuck for 10-30 seconds. When I have to quit I need to use task manager because otherwise it'd take 10 years... and still it takes like 5 minutes before all the RAM has been cleared from the DCS application. I don't see how a graphical enhancement should cause such trouble to the RAM and everything. I see things as I were seeing them before EDGE but it only lags more and has less FPS.

You can't call us complainers if you don't explain this to us.

Please justify the RAM usage (and fix 1.5.3 fps in the next update seriously)

Edited by secret1962

­­­­­­

Not when having the same settings means having worse performance. And I still have to see a huge graphical enhancement...

Still, the doubled RAM usage is not explained.

The 8 GB RAM minimum amount in the specs is not enough.

Now, I do understand that v 1.5.3 has a BIG FPS drop (I had 60 fps before now I have 30 fps...), but I keep asking about the RAM amount, because my game and PC keeps FREEZING. The game takes up all the RAM and just starts slowing down everything. It's not rare that the game just gets stuck for 10-30 seconds. When I have to quit I need to use task manager because otherwise it'd take 10 years... and still it takes like 5 minutes before all the RAM has been cleared from the DCS application. I don't see how a graphical enhancement should cause such trouble to the RAM and everything. I see things as I were seeing them before EDGE but it only lags more and has less FPS.

You can't call us complainers if you don't explain this to us.

Please justify the RAM usage (and fix 1.5.3 fps in the next update seriously)

I am aware that I have under the specs PC, but I had a lot of symptoms described here. And still do, although I did some pretty drastic things to make game playable, ie. to use less RAM.

For instance, this evening's online session showed usage of video memory of only 3700-3900 MB, and I had big stutters and freezes. Before, it would manifest such problems only when video memory usage was above say 6000-8000 MB. Will try reduced visibility settings.

BTW, game still draws invisible/distant objects, which is a big performance killer, at least for my PC. I sincerely hoped that new engine, EDGE, would deal with that.

their is nothing wrong with 1.5.3. are you sure you dont have adaptive vsync on thats limiting you down to 30fps

All this has been stated before, but let's reiterate once more:

1) If the stutters cannot be gotten rid of even after reducing all visibility and quality settings to almost nothing, then yeah, there most likely is something wrong with it.

2) If yours runs great, fine. Alas, PC hardware is wildly heterogeneous, and this wouldn't be the first time a program just refused to run flawlessly across the board.

3) If nothing was changed in the target system apart from a new DCS version that was installed, and said sim then suddendly started to run like crap, then yeah again, there most likely is something wrong with it.

So yep, you guessed it. I'm still thinking there's something wrong with it.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

1) If the stutters cannot be gotten rid of even after reducing all visibility and quality settings to almost nothing, then yeah, there most likely is something wrong with it.

2) If yours runs great, fine. Alas, PC hardware is wildly heterogeneous, and this wouldn't be the first time a program just refused to run flawlessly across the board.

3) If nothing was changed in the target system apart from a new DCS version that was installed, and said sim then suddendly started to run like crap, then yeah again, there most likely is something wrong with it.

Let's put aside 1.5.3 bad fps performance for now...

The strangest thing of everything is: why should a graphical enhancement cause such big trouble to the RAM ? Why do we need to double our RAM to run it fine without stutters ? After all with 1.5 (and until before 1.5.3) the FPS were not bad. But why the RAM ? This is something that everybody refuses to talk about. How can a game run stable 40-60 fps (from lots of units to almost no units) but just won't work because of the RAM ? And why this after EDGE update ? In the beginning I thought it was just a memory leak (has it really been fixed ?) but now... what ? 6.5 gb with EDGE (since 1.5) compared to 3 gb in 1.2 is not justified in my opinion. Something is wrong. The textures I see are the same as in 1.2. The only thing that merely changed for me is the new lighting effects (and the cockpit shadows which are now forced)... but 3.5 gb more on the RAM ? This is what I've been trying to ask and explain since 1.5 update.

I swear go on google and search DCS 1.2 vs 1.5 comparison. You'll see that 1.5 looks prettier... why ? Cockpit shadows are now forced (which creates a lot of the illusion), the terrain textures are greener, the clouds look better, and the lighting looks overall better... does this really justify 3.5 (or more) gb more than 1.2 ? The models are overall the same, same for the cockpit textures... I just don't get this (shouldn't graphical enhancements lower the fps ? The fps stayed overall the same but we got a RAM shortage now..). Enlighten me up please...

Edited by secret1962

­­­­­­

I dunno, I think there may have been a slight slip in performance on the latest build of 2.0.1 Update 1. I have a powerful PC (i7 4790K with 980ti) and I am noticing lower frames and even a stutter here and there, but I can't say the same about 1.5.3

I have the issue that my view panning is jerky using trackir under 60FPS and so the game becomes unplayable for me as it just unenjoyable.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Same issue here as others are reporting. I'm having much poorer performance in 1.5.3 and the alpha. Can't use the rift anymore as it can't hold 75hz.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Same issue here as others are reporting. I'm having much poorer performance in 1.5.3 and the alpha. Can't use the rift anymore as it can't hold 75hz.

Ohh don't panic man, they will just tell you to add 8Go of ram and that your 980ti can't handle DCS...

No joke, many people are experiencing this issue and all comes from the 1.5.3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Youtube Channel

Ryzen 2600 -- GTX980 4Go -- 16Go RAM 3200Mhz -- TM Warthog + Rudder Pedals -- HomeMade trackIR

#3 cannot happen. As explained, ED *changed* the meaning of High and Ultra. There is more headroom meaning there's more detail with 1.5.3 High as compared to previous version. So the *word* is the same, the *content* behind it has changed.

ED should have handled this better by adding new categories or *CLEARLY* warning people that the definition has changed. But given that *NO ONE* sells used cars anymore, just Pre-Owned cars, I'm thinking people will feel cheated if they ran HIGH setting just fine, and now the "HIGH" setting doesn't run fine.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

#3 cannot happen. As explained, ED *changed* the meaning of High and Ultra. There is more headroom meaning there's more detail with 1.5.3 High as compared to previous version. So the *word* is the same, the *content* behind it has changed.

ED should have handled this better by adding new categories or *CLEARLY* warning people that the definition has changed. But given that *NO ONE* sells used cars anymore, just Pre-Owned cars, I'm thinking people will feel cheated if they ran HIGH setting just fine, and now the "HIGH" setting doesn't run fine.

Something is wrong since the textures look like just the same ! Is that the visibility you're talking about ? That's only one thing... and still doesn't explain the high amount of RAM used since 1.5. And by the way I used to run (talking about visibility) extreme 50-60 fps with no fps drop in 1.5.2 but I get some crappy 30-35 (down to 25 sometimes...) fps now with high on 1.5.3... nope, not totally justified.

Edited by secret1962

­­­­­­

Okay, just back from testing !

I tried msalama tip on disabling shader cache in the nvidia panel but nothing changed much... (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=161800)

here are my results...

I joined VA and 104th servers twice in this order (VA (1) -> 104th (2) -> restarted game trying with shader cache on this time, nothing changed much though -> VA (3) -> 104th (4) )

v1.5.3

Virtual Aerobatics server:

1) 4 people, 25 fps, 3.5 gb on the ram

3) 5 people, 24-25 fps, 4 gb on the RAM

RAM kept growing as I was playing reaching 4.5 gb, when I left to lobby there were still 4.8 gb used on the ram...

104th server:

2) about 13 people, 20 fps, 5.5 gb on the ram (ram usage did not clear after going back to lobby... memory leak is seriously fixed ? Mate please...)

4) 9 people, 21-22 fps, 5 gb 760 mb on the ram

You can clearly tell how players are affecting heavily the FPS and RAM usage. The question is: why ? The models and textures of units and players jets/helis didn't change since 1.2. Why does DCS occupy double the amount of RAM now ?!?!

The game has micro stutters every second (30 fps... 1 second after the game freezes then again 30 fps... 1 second after again micro stutters... this keeps going FOREVER... you can clearly tell since you can see the FPS going down to 4 fps for a second then going back to normal... this is not how a game should run especially if you are doing NOTHING)

Now imagine a normal gameplay on VA or 104th with 50 people... as you can imagine it's not possible anymore since the RAM reaches 6.5 gb and keeps growing until the game has to switch to HDD cache and starts freezing everything.

All of this was possible without issues on 1.2

Why does DCS uses so much more RAM than before ? Why does it do so when the new engine was meant to bring enhanced graphics and performance ? Why is it not possible anymore to play decently ?

On the FPS matter (v 1.5.3), as you can see the FPS are seriously damn lower than on 1.5.2. Before I could get atleast 40-60 FPS, even though the RAM problem was still there and it keeps being here on 1.5.3.

Edited by secret1962
  • Like 1

­­­­­­

We would have adjusted the options and go on flying. But even lowest settings aren't running smooth like before.

Okay, just back from testing !

I tried msalama tip on disabling shader cache in the nvidia panel but nothing changed much... (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=161800)

here are my results...

I joined VA and 104th servers twice in this order (VA (1) -> 104th (2) -> restarted game trying with shader cache on this time, nothing changed much though -> VA (3) -> 104th (4) )

v1.5.3

Virtual Aerobatics server:

1) 4 people, 25 fps, 3.5 gb on the ram

3) 5 people, 24-25 fps, 4 gb on the RAM

RAM kept growing as I was playing reaching 4.5 gb, when I left to lobby there were still 4.8 gb used on the ram...

104th server:

2) about 13 people, 20 fps, 5.5 gb on the ram (ram usage did not clear after going back to lobby... memory leak is seriously fixed ? Mate please...)

4) 9 people, 21-22 fps, 5 gb 760 mb on the ram

You can clearly tell how players are affecting heavily the FPS and RAM usage. The question is: why ? The models and textures of units and players jets/helis didn't change since 1.2. Why does DCS occupy double the amount of RAM now ?!?!

The game has micro stutters every second (30 fps... 1 second after the game freezes then again 30 fps... 1 second after again micro stutters... this keeps going FOREVER... you can clearly tell since you can see the FPS going down to 4 fps for a second then going back to normal... this is not how a game should run especially if you are doing NOTHING)

Now imagine a normal gameplay on VA or 104th with 50 people... as you can imagine it's not possible anymore since the RAM reaches 6.5 gb and keeps growing until the game has to switch to HDD cache and starts freezing everything.

All of this was possible without issues on 1.2

Why does DCS uses so much more RAM than before ? Why does it do so when the new engine was meant to bring enhanced graphics and performance ? Why is it not possible anymore to play decently ?

On the FPS matter (v 1.5.3), as you can see the FPS are seriously damn lower than on 1.5.2. Before I could get atleast 40-60 FPS, even though the RAM problem was still there and it keeps being here on 1.5.3.

Does this happen on standalone missions? It could be the network code that's causing it to stutter. Or it could be the interaction with TrackIR that's causing the stutter. Also, if it's *that* deterministic, it's not a random ram/cpu issue, right?

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1