Can't land straight once brakes applied on landing

bunraku

Hi

I am using the Saitek Pro Flight Pedals and am having the issue that when I land and apply both toe brakes that the plane starts to weave to one side. It can be to one side or the other and am not sure whats causing it. I've posted a video below and you can see everytime I straighten up and then I start to slew to one side and that's caused by the toe brakes.

Any idea or cause?

Thanks again.

https://youtu.be/Aaz6Sq8hPSk

Cant see video, use Ctrl+Enter to open the controls info and watch your toe brakes if they apply the same force.

Also remember to disconnect the Nose Wheel Steering with "INS" during take off roll at 70 knots.

So when you land you have the NWS off. Turn it on once you are slow enough.

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

Hi,

You made need to bring the sensitivity down a bit in your pedals. I had to introduce a dead zone and change my curves so they were not so touchy.

If you do an outside view on the tarmac and engage nose wheel steering you can move the pedals and see how much travel you get both ways.

i also had a habit of overcompensating one way then the other oscillating over the runway.

Try using the W key.... See if you veer off. If you do you'll know it's not your pedals. If not, check the pedal settings. Maybe recalibrate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I also found the rudder extremely touchy in the hawg. I played with rudder axis settings a lot to compensate which felt better at first but later while ruddering n the air It caused more similar trouble. In the end I reverted to default settings and just learned to touch them very gently

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Did you enable the anti-skid function? It is the switch directly above the landing gear indicators.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

Cant see video, use Ctrl+Enter to open the controls info and watch your toe brakes if they apply the same force.

Hi

Sorry Ctrl+Enter in Windows or in Sim?

Certainly in windows configuration the pedals push equally. I also had to invert them in Sim to work.

I also recommend a bit of dead zone and a curve using those same pedals.

And yes, you need to get used to precisely moving the toe brakes with your feet. If you have a office chair that can rotate you might not apply pressure equally strong.

Either way, pressing the mentioned combo Rcntrl+Enter during flight will show you whether everything is working as intended. :)

Beware of pilot-induced oscillations on the runway!

Ok. Did the ctrl+enter thing and they are working fine. I believe it may just be to the fact that I am not pressing them together evenly, even though we are talking probably a half second of time for full pressure on both. This is causing the turning. So i assume I need a large deadzone so there is a smaller livezone(Or whatever you call it) for the difference in both pedals to cause a turn.So can anyone tell me the kind of deadzone and curvature I should be looking for?

Yup, curves and deadzones are something you'll be messing with a lot now to find what works for you. I had the same issue as you, the deadzone and curves have helped but I try to be gentle with the toe brakes which also helps you be able to correct any left/right over pressure.

Hmmm, I've never messed with curves on mine. I had to invert or un-invert the curves of course. However, I've never set any deadzones and they are a charm in the Hog. In the MiG-21 and F-86 it's a different story but I think that has more to do with my bad landings than the brakes or steering (steering stinks in both thought). Anyway, good luck to everyone struggling with it. I guess I've been lucky on this one for once.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had same issues but it was totaly my fault.

i now land and brake down with the speedbrakes to 70-80knots and then use the brakes very gentle, im holding the plane in line just with the brakes no wheelsteering, works better for me then brake and steer with the pedals at the same time

Edited by whaaw

SFMBE