Getting frustrated

Getting a little bit frustrated with this campaign..

After many tries, I finally got the first one done (Bridgehead) and then promptly DCS forgot I did it and is making me do it again.

Other missions - the enemy is too well hidden and too deadly.

e.g. in the "find the convoy" mission - i'm flying low and looking around - get over a ridge and before I know it - shot down!

in another mission, where you go into the center of the city - again flying low and as hinted fly along the roads - didn't see a single enemy vehicle but shot down nonetheless.

another mission where the enemy is in a relativly open area - got all of them but cannot find the last vehicle. but every time i pop up a little bit - get a attack warning...but still cannot find this guy.

some missions don't give you too much time - if you're too careful - mission is over.

I'm flying low (around 100m or less) and relatively fast - have completed another campaign - so not a complete noob. but getting frustrated...

Maybe it's trees!

Vehicles can see us through the trees, unfortunately. So, it's not fair to fight against the enemy in most missions.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Yeah, I had to enable invincibility in order for me to have some fun with the campaign and actually finish it. Otherwise, it's rather frustrating and doesn't allow the user to take advantage of a low flying attack helo like you think it should.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Yeah, I had to enable invincibility in order for me to have some fun with the campaign and actually finish it. Otherwise, it's rather frustrating and doesn't allow the user to take advantage of a low flying attack helo like you think it should.

I never thought about that...but I would prefer not to go there?

The campaign should have been designed slightly easier at the beginning few missions - how about the enemy doesn't shoot until they're shot at first..or aim is not super good.

And of course they should try to fix the "see thru trees/buildings" issue.

Had my issues with the campaign as well. Without the time limits, I'd have enjoyed it much more.

I think one previous DCS update log said that "Air Rain" had seen some fixes - that's the mission I got stuck on after 5 or so attempts. Maybe I'll give it another try and see if I can't beat it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

this is a huge problem in general with the combat environment in DCS, and the ka-50 feels it the worst because you are the lowest and slowest.

the iron-sighted ZU-23s shoot like john wayne at their maximum range against a fast-moving beaming target painted jet black in inclement weather, it's ridiculous.

i could see a shilka actually seeing me, let alone shooting me, but a ZU-23 crewed by a scruffy-faced insurgent? i haven't actually played through this campaign yet but in the default KA-50 campaigns (and especially in some, which i won't name) the enemy are ludicrously dense, ludicrously good shots (in defiance of the fact that many of them probably don't even have an AA gunsight for goodness' sake) and ridiculously well hidden.

all of this is complicated by the fact that the SHKVAL isn't exactly a great pod, plus it probably got worse in 1.5.

that and most briefings scarcely actually brief you as to what you should expect and where they are.

this whole environment conspires to make 'easy' missions deathtraps, and hard missions completely impossible.

Edited by Cik

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe it's trees!

Vehicles can see us through the trees, unfortunately. So, it's not fair to fight against the enemy in most missions.

I thought this would be fixed with EDGE. Maybe im wrong but i see no reason why the enemy should still be able to see through trees with the latest engine :huh:

g8PjVMw.png

I thought this would be fixed with EDGE. Maybe im wrong but i see no reason why the enemy should still be able to see through trees with the latest engine :huh:

EDGE was a prerequisite for collidable trees. But they are only realized in the new Nevada map. I believe ED's position on backporting this to the Caucasus map was "possibly sometime in the future" with a lot of question marks attached.

Besides, are trees in Nevada now blocking LOS, or are they "just" collidable?

I thought this would be fixed with EDGE.
EDGE is a new graphic engine, but nothing to do with trees at first, as far as I know.

Trees in Caucasus map are still the same, but I don't believe enemy units see us through buildings. I remember some time ago I tested it (or experienced in a mission). If I wait enough behind a building, enemy unit gives up following me and turns the turret at default(?) heading. It's weird tho, if you were enemy in real life, I think you would always stay in alert until make sure the enemy has left the battlefield...

Anyway... Today we can play/run DCS World v1.5.x in anyway, but tree problem is the first row bug that have to be fixed immediately - in my honest opinion of course.

:)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068