Autopilot

spiddx

After the latest 1.5 update I get some strange behaviour of the autopilot.

Take Instant actions for example: AP works in some of them (Free Flight, Intercept, Ground Attack) and not on others (Dogfight, Landing). ME generated missions are a no go too.

When it works: AP master switches to active (green) immediatly, all other modes are available.

When it doesn't work: AP master just toggles between standby (amber) and off. No other modes selectable.

I haven't figured out yet why it works in some missions and not in others.

Can somebody confirm?

Edited by spiddx

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Same thing happening to me after latest update. I created a mission too and the A/P only switches from STBY to OFF. After a couple minutes it works again, then it doesnt. I tried many things but beginning to think it has to do with some limitation.

Confirm, didn't check mission editor but instant action missions it doesn't work at some. Not when clicking in the cockpit, nor with the keys (no double keybinding, just checked, not even hidden one ... I cleared A and H, set it to different actions and got no message saying it is/was already set to a different action, even resetting them to A and H works, no red lines).

Also cross-checked in 2.0, still works in intant action mission runway start and landing mission, didn't try ME.

After flying straight for two hours mashing the AP master button like a madman I think I've narrowed the problem down quite a bit:

The AP seems to have a problem with the terrain elevation below the aircraft.

It works in hilly or mountainous terrain.

It doesn't work over the sea or near-sealevel flat terrain.

To reproduce:

- Start in the air over the sea

- Turn on Autopilot Master (it goes to yellow/standby, no other modes functional)

- leave it on standby and fly over the coastline (for example near Batumi, you have nice mountains there)

- as soon as you come over the hills AP will turn on by itself (green), all other modes functional

- fly back out over the sea => AP flips back to standby...

Hope this helps.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

The same issue exists in 2.0 Nevada by the way. It isn't a big problem there because most of the terrain is quite high above sea level, but if you fly for example over the Death Valley area, you get exactly the same behaviour from the AP.

Specs:

Same thing happening to me after latest update. I created a mission too and the A/P only switches from STBY to OFF. After a couple minutes it works again, then it doesnt. I tried many things but beginning to think it has to do with some limitation.

Experienced same behaving of auto pilot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Almost sounds like it's tied to the ground radar 5000' limit. If you are at 10,000' it's off but when you fly over hills the altitude AGL changes and when it's 5000" or less the radar is activated.

Just a thought, I haven't been able to fly the last few days.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Same for me, V2.0 and V1.5 :

In V2 ou V1.5 over mountain, start in flight, press Autopilot (mouse click), directly on "A", stdby ('P'') ok when pressing HOTAS key to disengage shortly, then go back to 'A'. A second click on Autopilot bouton (mouse click) disengage the Auto pilot. So never see letter 'P' lightening.

In V1.5 over sea, start in flight, press Autopilot bouton (mouse click), ok, letter "P" is lightening, a second press stop the autopilot (non more light A or P). So never see letter 'A' lightening.

So there's defintitly more to it...

AP also automatically switched to standby over mountains when you are at very high altitudes (above ~48.000ft).

Specs:

• 2 weeks later...

Is the function still working that holding the fire button allows you to make changes and on release the autopilot will hold those changes, ie bank and heading?

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

• 7 months later...

Does Selected Altitude Hold work for you guys? Here it only goes to standby (yellow) and does nothing.

Tested in latest version release an OB.

Specs:

Does Selected Altitude Hold work for you guys? Here it only goes to standby (yellow) and does nothing.

Tested in latest version release an OB.

There has been an update. You must start the climb or descent and set the angle. The AP will do the "flare" to stop at selected altitude.

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

There has been an update. You must start the climb or descent and set the angle. The AP will do the "flare" to stop at selected altitude.

I see, thank you. Works fine that way!

Specs: