HUD graphics at low res

OK, here's the deal - I have a 15" TFT monitor with a native resolution of 1024x768.

Zoomed in to the HUD it's all crisp and clean - but when you zoom out it doesn't just get further away, the text and lines begin to break up and vanish.

I'm assuming this is the lines getting thinner than one of my big pixels and hence not being displayed properly - anything else it could be? Overzealous AA or AF, perhaps?

Short of buying a higher resolution monitor, is there any way around this?

The lines thicken artificially at a certain zoom distance to allow some respite from this problem - but zoomed right out it's not enough.

Suggestions gratefully welcomed . . . .

It's not so much the HUD for me (I play @ 1920x1200, 8xTSAA 16x AF) and the heads down display (particularly in the SU's) always looks like crap. It has quite a bit of aliasing, and the lines break up.

Normally I'd say TSAA (transparent AA) would cure this as it seems to be a transparent texture on top of a background, but it doesn't. Everything else looks clean and clear, but for the HDD (heads down display)

I also agree that the HUD even with high res mode gets crappier sometimes. I wish you could choose your font type or BOLD it, etc.. For now though, my biggest issue is the HDD/MDF's looking all aliased. :) (I'll posta shot later to show you exactly what I'm talking about)

:pilotfly:

sig-YF19a.jpg

The thing is anti aliasing only applies only to polygons, it does not anti alias textures (this would be called super sampling and is very slow). This is true of every game.

The hud and the cockpit will suffer because of this. Higher reolutions are the only way to correct this.

Nate

I have a Samsung 32 TFT TV/Monitor combo that is really quite awsome. I did a lot of research before I purchased it and found that this was actually the best at that time, about 1 month ago. The reality is that Samsung and 2 other companys in China are the only ones makeing screens for the whole industry and thats Sony,Toshiba, ect. This set has a 4000:1 contrast ratio with 8 Ms responce time. it's picture is actually better then your typical monitor. I really don't have any problems with the HUD of any aircraft. I'm useing the HD mod as well as Teca Teca's lime green mod and things look good from all the way back to zoomed in all the way... and the picture is large... IMG_0065.jpg

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I have a Samsung 32 TFT TV/Monitor combo that is really quite awsome.

What model is it, exactly, and what's it's native resolution? Tnx.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Switch your monitor to 1152x864 resolution, it's just a bit highter then 1024x768 but it seems HUD loads some higher texture or something and is much more read-able.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

The thing is anti aliasing only applies only to polygons, it does not anti alias textures (this would be called super sampling and is very slow). This is true of every game.

The hud and the cockpit will suffer because of this. Higher reolutions are the only way to correct this.

Nate

8x TSAA = 8x Super Sampling + transparent Anti-Aliasing which does indeed do transparent textures :D

framerate is a non-issue for me, and @ 1920x1200 it still does NOT correct it :)

PS: main issue being that MDF/HDD on ruski birds.. (not the HUD)

sig-YF19a.jpg

I have a Samsung 32 TFT TV/Monitor combo that is really quite awsome. I did a lot of research before I purchased it and found that this was actually the best at that time, about 1 month ago. The reality is that Samsung and 2 other companys in China are the only ones makeing screens for the whole industry and thats Sony,Toshiba, ect. This set has a 4000:1 contrast ratio with 8 Ms responce time. it's picture is actually better then your typical monitor. I really don't have any problems with the HUD of any aircraft. I'm useing the HD mod as well as Teca Teca's lime green mod and things look good from all the way back to zoomed in all the way... and the picture is large...

Blaze, why is your aspect set to 4:3? I just got 42" LVM42W2 (Westinghouse) and with 16:9 aspect and 1920x1080p, it looks great.

Lockon cockpit is zoomed in a little by default at this aspect - I just

zoom it out every time I start. No probs with HUD and MFD fonts.

(16xAniso & 4xAA)

Blaze, why is your aspect set to 4:3? I just got 42" LVM42W2 (Westinghouse) and with 16:9 aspect and 1920x1080p, it looks great.

Lockon cockpit is zoomed in a little by default at this aspect - I just

zoom it out every time I start. No probs with HUD and MFD fonts.

(16xAniso & 4xAA)

Aspect ratio set at 4:3? No, where did you get that from (LOL)...

Its actually set at 16:9 Bro, and that screen shot doesn't do the real picture justice, but you can get a good idea from it... Arisotropic - 16X Antialiasing - 8xS... (ROFLM)

ijozic, the model is Samsung LN-S3251D, and was developed by Microsoft and Samsung to pair up with the X-box 360, which I was trying out in EB games when I was researching. This set really cranks when hooked up to a more powerful PC, the 4000:1 contrast ratio is outstanding here as most LCD's are 3000:1...

With my TrackIR 4 I can sit allthe way back in my seat and still read the HUD and see all of the data......

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Maybe because all supposedly round shapes like knobs and "clocks" on your screenshot are actually oval ....

You might want to check this thread:

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=13573&highlight=widescreen

for information how to correct LockOn's aspect ratio on 16:9 monitor.

Roman: thanks I think I remember seeing this one, but really didn't take any interest in it because I had some FPS issues at that time that I was more concerned with (LOL)...

I'm going apply it, see how it works and maybe post a screen shot...

Sorry Crusty I didn't mean any harm my man ....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR