flight path ladder problem in the A-10C HUD

memorg

Hi,

I have a problem in my DCS A-10C HUD. This is newly problem. I did not before. I think it appears after I upgrade to 1.5.

Espacially in mission mode (only when fliying, not in the ground), flight path ladder goes left or right side. Not centralized.

I don't have more problem. Only this.

How can i fix it? Please help me

Thank you

Resim1.thumb.jpg.29aaac0b162632dd118043743a8d9668.jpg

This is a result of a crosswind, and it is totally normal behaviour for the HUD in the A-10C.

To eliminate the problem simply turn into the wind. Once you see how it works, you'll find it a useful aid to flying and delivering weaponry, as it shows you have a crosswind to deal with.

Sometimes I miss the F-16 HUD Feature where you can actually disable that Ladder-Drift. :)

But the Drift is totaly normal behavior in Crosswinds.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

This is a result of a crosswind, and it is totally normal behaviour for the HUD in the A-10C.

To eliminate the problem simply turn into the wind. Once you see how it works, you'll find it a useful aid to flying and delivering weaponry, as it shows you have a crosswind to deal with.

So, if I am flying a course over the ground with a crosswind, I am stuck with this offset pitch ladder?? That can't possibly be the way it is in the real thing, is it?? I mean, in order to make good a course over the ground with a crosswind, you would be crabbing somewhat (as a function of your airspeed) but you can't just "turn into the wind" every time you want to straighten out the display in the HUD. I could see the Flight Path indicator offset in the direction of the crab, but the whole Pitch ladder moving over with it seems like something got missed in translation somewhere along the way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

I had been flying the A10c since it came out. I took a break for almost a year, I hopped back in the pit after updates and this problem was consistent with 1.5 & 2.0,,,, if it's normal, how come I never had this issue for ll the other years I have been flying? If this is recently implemented and intended to stay,,, it's more than just a little annoying, it's more than enough to keep me out of the seat.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Fakum,

Sorry you feel that way, but it is intended normal behavior for the HUD to act that way.

Is hard to see, but this video shows the drift on the HUD

This is on the F-16

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

If this is recently implemented and intended to stay,,, it's more than just a little annoying, it's more than enough to keep me out of the seat.

This feature has been there for a very long time.

In recent flights, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and some of the missions (The Enemy Within campaign, for example) include some pretty decent winds.

There is 60 knots of crosswind for ya in an F-16:

Note wind information right bellow steerpoint 8 "Fuz".

So you see, it's a completely normal thing, even though the F-16 guy could have cutout the drift but he didn't cause it's a personal preference. But when it comes to the A-10 we're pretty much stuck with the drift afaik.

It pretty much depends on the wind conditions on your mission plus your heading in relation to the wind.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

I will hop in tonight and check again, and post a track, something is out of sorts, at least last night it was? If this feature has been out for a long time, we may be talking about 2 different things because I have been flying this for many years and never experienced what I did last night.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Ok, I attached a track. I realize that it would seem that the consensus in this thread would take the position that this is normal, or has been the case for a long time. Now I stepped out of the A-10C less than a year ago to fiddle with the F-15, and I am absolutely certain I did not experience this in all the hours I put into the HOG seat, I would remember ,because I find it very annoying. Ok, so it might be realistic, and I might have to live with it,, but I'm tellin ya, I never had this result before for what its worth.

I flew over the target area twice and you can tell by my controls indicator, I attempted to keep the ladder centered on a couple occasions for testing purposes, then I simple went about making 90 deg turns,,,

DCS Open Beta 1.5

Edited by Fakum

There is a chance that you never had a flight/mission where there were winds strong enough to render a noticeable ladder drift, then when you came back you played one with a strong wind and thought this was a new thing.

I'm relatively new to DCS so I could be wrong and the drift was recently implemented, but judging by the other posts it seems it was there since the beginning & you just didn't play in the conditions to make you notice it.

Edit - try flying a mission with calm winds (max 2 m/s or so).

Edited by SCU

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

Well, I cant argue the points made for sure! I appreciate the feedback. Just to satisfy this matter for myself, I am going to do a restore back to an image file before 1.5 came out and see if I'm just going mental..... Thanks for the feedback guys,, I will likely report back tomorrow or so,,,

• 4 years later...

well, i've been experiencing this drifting all the time while flying with wind speeds of 5 m/s to 10 m/s.

i tried to input the wind data into the CDU, but it doesn't change anything for me.

it's no problem while flying but landing can get a bit tricky because the TVV just doesn't want to help me at all sometimes and i just go by feel.

i also don't think it's a problem of uncoordinated flight, because the ball is centered all the time, as you can see on this video.

maybe someone can look at this and give me some pointers as to what i could do differently next time?

thanks in advance for any tips!

Edited by aledmb

7 hours ago, aledmb said:

i tried to input the wind data into the CDU, but it doesn't change anything for me.

What do you think inputting wind data into the CDU would change?

i also don't think it's a problem of uncoordinated flight, because the ball is centered all the time, as you can see on this video.

Sure. The wind drags you off course and influences your ground track, but a steady wind doesn't induce any alpha or beta nor does it pitch or yaw the plane around, so the ball stays centered (rapidly changing winds and/or gusts might do that, though, for a moment).

If you haven't read it yet, I can't recommend "Stick And Rudder" enough. After 76 years, Langewiesche's book is still one of the best works to explain how aircraft fly and how wind affects them (that I know of, but I can't say I've read any other aerodynamic books TBH 😉).

maybe someone can look at this and give me some pointers as to what i could do differently next time?

Nothing you can do, that's just the way it is. In the F-16 and F/A-18, the pitch ladder can be centered, but in the A-10, it will always be off center in a crosswind. It's a little annoying when the TVV is out of the HUD, but generally this is a good feature to let you, the pilot, know that the aircraft is drifting with the wind. You just have to fly your wind correction angle to account for the drift and keep your ground track where you want it, and on landing it'll be mostly visual and seat-of-the-pants corrections to crab along the runway centerline, and then de-crab just before touchdown, at around 20 or 30 feet AGL.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yurgon said:

What do you think inputting wind data into the CDU would change?

well, since wind seemed to be the problem and that's the only thing i found in the manual, i figured it could be a way to tell the HUD "hey, this is what you need to compensate". 😄

3 hours ago, Yurgon said:

If you haven't read it yet, I can't recommend "Stick And Rudder" enough.

i'll try to grab that one, thanks for the pointers!

30 minutes ago, aledmb said:

well, since wind seemed to be the problem and that's the only thing i found in the manual, i figured it could be a way to tell the HUD "hey, this is what you need to compensate". 😄

I see. 😉

As far as I know, the CDU wind data is mostly used for weapon release calculations, and should be fine when left on its own in most circumstances anyway. It doesn't have any effect on the HUD offset.

• Like 2