Impossiblile to destroy runways

Pelmo

I tried with all possible weapons to destroy runways, but it was impossible. The ED plans to implement this feature? If so, it would be nice that the Tornado aircraft were equipped with this weapon specifically designed for this purpose.

JP233

or the Luftwaffe MW-1..

Who remembers this function in the DID Tornado simulator back in 1993? What beautiful memories ..

Intel i9-13900K, @5.8GHz, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master, 32GB DDR5 6200 DomPlatinum, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24G, LG 48GQ900-B, 4x 2TB Crucial P5plus M2 SSD NVME, 1x 500GB WD SN850 SSD NVME ,Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1650W ATX 3.0 , Windows 11 Pro, Corsair AiO H170i LCD RGB, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, VPC Mongoos T-50CM3 Base, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar, MFG CROSSWIND, Corsair K95 Platinum, Sennheiser G 600, Roccat Kone Mouse.

i beleive there used to be anti runway weapons betap 500shp

never tried in dcs

[ame]

[/ame]

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Now you cant do that with any bomb in DCS I tryed All of them and soesnt work. seems some people in old times were complaining about that because with 2 A-10 fully loaded with Maverics and MK-20 Rockeyes or other Cluster bombs only you destroy the runway and the taxiway with one pass. I tried A-10 with MK-84 and the hole on the runway was just a diametre of a basketball.

Hope DCS will correct this.

http://104thphoenix.com/ "Failure Is Not An Option" - Online Combat Simulation Since 1997

www.youtube.com/user/AntonioGR201 www.twitch.tv/104th_Tiger www.facebook.com/TIGER.GR.Tiger/

Discord: 104th_Tiger#1883

i complain that i am hit very easily with an amraam, so they should remove it :D

if you can not protect your air base then suffer from it imo

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Now it does affect the AI but not the MP players. And I agree that we should be able to take out the runways. and in the past it was possible to do it. But the problem was that a single bullet was able to take out a runway, but you would never see it to avoid it.

• Like 1

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

seems some people in old times were complaining about that because with 2 A-10 fully loaded with Maverics and MK-20 Rockeyes or other Cluster bombs only you destroy the runway and the taxiway with one pass. I tried A-10 with MK-84 and the hole on the runway was just a diametre of a basketball.

Hope DCS will correct this.

Seriously? This needs to come back. A single plane could take out a 10,000 foot runway with 4 well placed Mk-84's. Instead of removing this how about add a engineer script who could fix the craters after a certain amount of time.

The script would require more of an ongoing based war/campaign like you see on some CloD servers but either way runways should show cratering and if someone wants to attempt to take off still then they could try.

seems some people in old times were complaining about that because with 2 A-10 fully loaded with Maverics and MK-20 Rockeyes or other Cluster bombs only you destroy the runway and the taxiway with one pass

It's Digital Combat Simulator, not coffee with in-laws simulator. War is by design unfair and unbalanced, unless both sides do it wrong. MP gameplay balance is not a consideration here. In a simulator, real-world data and capabilities are what makes a feature, and after that available (read: funded) dev time. If the simulator sucks you'll have to ask God for a universe reboot (or not play the game, ahem, simulator).

It seems like either the A-10 cannot carry those munitions, or there is not enough time on EDs end to properly implement the feature. Alas, it is not there.

I agree.

The true fix should be in the hands of mission designers, to add more defensive coverage to airbases.

It'd be nice if the resupply interface in the ME let you dial in a runway repair time too, and give it a cost. Maybe you have to airdrop supplies via helo or C-130 airlift to repair a broken runway, etc.

• Like 1

If you crash enough times on the runway you want to destroy it will make the runway unuseable.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 2 years later...

Recently I have bombed a runway with a Su-33. Afterwards I tried to land on it and my airplane exploded. The crater is only displayed as a small 2d-texture on the runway, but when I rolled on the bombcrater my plane merged with the ground just before it exploded. This is a screenshot I have made in a slow-motion-replay right before my crash:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199885&stc=1&d=1544925741

I know that some bombs only create a small bump on runways which does not destroy them, but in this case my bomb had a big blast. I just do not remember its name any more.

20181215231940_1.thumb.jpg.6778b66078dd74c8f65c9b9baa8bce42.jpg

You can, and always have been able to, destroy runways.

What is missed is the damage visually. The event fires when a bomb hits. Ai no longer taxi.

The issue is dcs doesnt handle the visuals or provide a repair mechanism other than ... restart the mission.

For many years i would like to see some simulation of scenery repair, runway damage. The issue is ed modelled the sim around a single sortie mission rather than consecutive missions. Ai are useless after they rtb. No tasks for take off again. Damage remains forever. Airbases cannot be dynamically created. No envineers or bridge repair or creation.

It wont change. Too much effort under the hood and affect on their terrain structure. The underlying platform is ok enough to sell new modules and that is it. Ed will gain nothing in their opinion, to restructure the core game.

Until then, catch the runway dead event and time a mission restart after however many hours you think is acceptable.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Pikey you can quite effectively crater a runway with a bunch of snakeyes but the biggest issue is that the craters are not synced well online. If people are in the server with you when you do it they will see/experience the craters, if they join after you made your run then they won’t see them and the runway will be perfectly usable. So the runway needs to somehow sync the damage to new players that join.

I tested this, absolutly obliterated a runway with 2 F-18s and 10 snakeyes each with about 4 passes, to the point where it was impossibly to land or takeoff on. And then I had a friend join the server and they didn’t see anything :/

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 3 months later...
Seriously? This needs to come back. A single plane could take out a 10,000 foot runway with 4 well placed Mk-84's. Instead of removing this how about add a engineer script who could fix the craters after a certain amount of time.

The script would require more of an ongoing based war/campaign like you see on some CloD servers but either way runways should show cratering and if someone wants to attempt to take off still then they could try.

I would write the script so CBUs could delay the process- since in real life they will bomb a runway then drop cluster bombs to mine it

I would write the script so CBUs could delay the process- since in real life they will bomb a runway then drop cluster bombs to mine it

DGyRcUfXYAAwDSh.jpg

Two words : runway redundancy, Mr President. The russkies are building runways everywhere! In the hills, on the roads, side by side.... Why, I've even heard they are building them in star patterns like a giant asterisk and some of those new fangled circular runways. We can't afford to fall behind, Mr President, we must close the runway gap! Gaps are bad!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

@Kocrachon

I couldn't disagree with you more. Not only is it the Air Units responsibility to carry out concise planned missions, it is equally mandated to protect the fleet, and/ or defend the air base. I was personally involved in numerous NATO exercises that involved both: carrying out the mission while defending you origin of departure.

You are not only a target in the air but on the ground. That is the reality. This combat simulation ought to reflect that as such.

It’s great that you have your own server, and I imagine that being a server admin has its own thankless responsibilities and headaches. Even better that you want to see a lot of people in it and make it fun, and the incentives it creates. That endeavor upon itself is to be applauded. I think everyone in this world of simulation appreciates that and respects what goes into good mission design, and being a server admin.

No one is telling you how to run your server.

The point was as someone else posted on this thread: “Runway denial is a part of war”.

Yes, there are many things in DCS World that are unrealistic.

In your role then, it’s your responsibility in part to teach others proper take-off procedures, the advantages as flying with other members instead of lone-wolfing it for example…to teach realistic elements of flight and combat maneuvering. That is the difference between the realism of a simulation vs some arcade game scenario.

As a designer, I’m sure you know of all the tools at your disposal and how to deal with various elements such as moose, scripting, etc…So if for example, Red forces have an unfair dis-advantage as Blue Forces try to knock out its opposing airbase, can you not put in an appropriate AI counter for example, or have adequately planned ground defenses and foreseen natural human behavior? There are hundreds of things you could do counter the constraints you face.

In the end, I would venture to guess that 98.% us want DCS and you to make the simulation and its missions as realistic as possible by designing with the restrictions at hand, in lieu of outright ham-fisted approaches, and complete lack of imagination.

If you’re going to be a designer, and a good one at that, you should be able to process and think through a critique(s), of a different viewpoint(s), and be able to respond more intelligently than in uncouth manner you have written here.

That is a realistic expectation.

I'm probably talking out of my rear, but I have an idea and now I'm going to fail to explain it in a way people can understand.

Why don't you turn the roof of a very long cuboid building into a runway...

So, if you cut out the terrain from under the runways and whatever, replace it with this cuboid runway "building" and whatever but with a depth that fits into the terrain, then the "building's" roof (if you will) is the runway - then you can have 3D craters without developing deformable terrain. We already have buildings with limited damage modelling, and we have the Stennis, which has 3D damage modelling...

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I bombed a runway on the Persian Gulf map. The AI Stopped to land in that base, but after a few minutes they start to land again. Is the repair runway modeled? Is that possible to keep it destroyed for at least an hour?

This may have changed but, in SP, the length of time a runway remained damaged depended on the munition used. IIRC, the BetAB-500 left the runway unusable for hours.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Wise Words

Oi, right on =)

''As a server admin, my goal is to maintain a server population. Our server has some emphasis on PVP. If a bunch of players manage to organize enough to destroy redfor airfields, that removes the desire for players to be redfor''

This is called losing. It's what one team does. If a few players organising is all it takes, either their opponents suck and lost fairly, or your mission is poorly designed. Full stop. Too many of 'you people' get an epeen stroke from your pop numbers. Quality or quantity, you don't always get both.

''So now I am restarting the server''

Yep, that's what has to happen when one side gets completely f'd over, i.e. has lost. Of course, I'm 99% certain there are alternatives to this as well... but it boils down to how YOUR mission is designed.

''People get annoyed and log off''

Yep, this a common phenomenom at the end of a match, too. If the players are annlyed that a reset happened because they won, then they're stupid.

''Stupid people behaving stupidly''

It sounds like you created a (probably poorly designed) eternal moshpit scenario (aka AirQuake) that caters to casual players dropping in and out, then are blaming ED because YOUR server caters to the lowest common denominator and you see exactly what anyone would expect. Scatter shit and you draw flies. Based on your overall ''throwdown'' attitude over something like deformable runways and terrain ruining ''your server'', I'm inclined to think my interpretation valid.

I'd suggest putting a little thought into how YOU and YOUR choices/design work contributed to YOUR problems.

Edited by zhukov032186

Nothing's ''wrong'' with how anybody plays the game or how your server works, except it yields predictable results that you're complaining about.

Inadequate planning/defenses for things like players attacking the airfields results in runways getting bombed and/or spawn camping. Hell, you could set a proximity trigger to blow up anybody who gets too close to the opposing airfield, enforcing the 'gentlemen's rules' you seem to want without even needing AI defenders as far as that goes.

You complain about inexperienced/downright stupid behavior oc the casual pilots your server is geared toward even lol

Btw, your earlier insinuation that servers shutting down would kill DCS is grossly hyperbolic, to say the least ;) Total up all the online players, multiply it by ten to account for timezones, people not playing every day, varying activity, etc, note the extremely small number. This game is not supported by its online community ;)

And no, being a ''perfectionist elitist'' as you say doesn't hold this game back. It's virtually the only show in town catering to hardcore enthusiasts, while there are a multitude of casual options. Besides, deriding poorly designed scenarios, or you throwing a fit about destructible environs isn't elitist anyway.

Edited by zhukov032186

This may have changed but, in SP, the length of time a runway remained damaged depended on the munition used. IIRC, the BetAB-500 left the runway unusable for hours.

I did the test. After bombing with the MK family take 1 hour to fix the runway