burning cliffs´s starforce - oh what have i done ?

First of all, Good Hello to all of you,

i´m a newcomer in this forum and i have to give my respect to it.

i have to tell that i have been involved in flightsim since amiga 500 (im 47 years old) and i have almost bought every flight sim that have come to market since.

but what have happened to me with the hateful protection of flamming cliffs has no name.

i was not awared of the danger/harm that protection could do to my computer.

i have an antivirus (panda) and after i installed the flaming/burning cliffs in the computer i receive a message from the antivirus that sameone was traying to connect throught the net to my computer to modify flamming cliffs files - the antivirus asked me if i did allow that connection or not. - WELL i to be cautionous and i said no. - MY BIGGEST MISTAKE ever done.

i played with the sim and after a while i turn off the computer and went to bed.

next day i tried to turn on the computer but something was happening, something was not allowing to start the system. i tried for hours, until i friend told me that the starforce protection could do this.

I HAVE TO REINSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM XP (new instalation with a formating hard disc involved ) So i lost all the info i have in the computer, almost 100 gigas of info.

I HATE - FLAMMING CLIFF - (i was so angry that i promise not to buy any soft with that ****ING (sorry for the ugly word) protection. IT CRASHED MY COMPUTER AS NO VIRUS HAVE EVER DONE.

If any of the developers of the new addon BLACK SHARK is reading this, pls do not put this horrible protection. i believe that many of us prefer to validate on line or any other hard way to protect your investiment. But no a so harmfull protection that can crash ones computer if right steps are not followed as i has happened to me.

i have the original disc of flaming cliff and if i am asked for i can prove it.

and once again, sorry that this very first contact with mates that love what i do love most (flying) is a regret.

kind regards

car

cn rotor blades manufacturer.

• Like 1

i agree with you man. get rid of starforce. It sucks and im really sorry to hear about your computer. I have never had this prob myself but i would most likely have a shit fit if ALL my info on my hard drive was lost (not to mention that my dad would prolly kill me). But yes, if any devs are reading this, i would like to ask you not to put starforce on blackshark due to the fact that it can really mess up some peoples comps even when they bought the game. I would rather call into Russia (or where ever ED is located) and verify my purchase by phone if need be. maybe if enough people post this same request, ED will consider a change. Thanks.

angelbannerfinal9th1vb.jpg

Virtual 9th Airforce

Why would someone have 100gigs of stuff on the same drive as the OS? And since you were the one that told Panda to not allow SF to do what it does, why do you blame SF? Don't you deserve some of the blame?

Sorry to hear you had these problems, but this happens all the time with many programs. It's called user error and it's not only SF that can force you to reinstall your OS.

User error? LOL. So you disallow some unknown process from modifying your files forgotting that it might be the Starforce and then you cannot boot up your system anymore and you call it a user error? I call it faulty and potentially dangerous software. If all software behaved like this, you would need special experts just for updating drivers on your computer.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

i receive a message from the antivirus that sameone was traying to connect throught the net to my computer to modify flamming cliffs files - the antivirus asked me if i did allow that connection or not. - WELL i to be cautionous and i said no. - MY BIGGEST MISTAKE ever done.

Give him some credit he does say

MY BIGGEST MISTAKE
:doh:

If you new something was trying to conn to starforce "after" u installed..i'd have thought u would have let it conn..i'd have thought it obviously was something to do with the installation..mind u..that said it could have been nice for the installer to let u know that it was going to attempt to connect to a server of some sort..IMO.

Regard's.Sleek.

Be Good..Be Strong..:drink: ;)

There are lots of games on the market now that try to communicate to a server of some sort before executing.

Its the way of the future.

Give it time and music will have code hidden in it that will authenticate to a server.

Yeah right, SF way of the future... That will be the day...

car: Here's what you do - don't format your disk !!! First do a Safe Boot and remove SF.

If that doesn't help, get your hard-drive out of your PC and take it to your friend. Mount it in and designate your HD as a slave in Boot. Start his PC and your HD will appear as a second HD in Explorer. Now you can at least make a back-up of all your data. Then you can reformat and make a double partition, one for all the data and one for programs, or if you have a large HD, make a third one just for games, so that you will still have an option to access the other partition, when something goes wrong with either of them.

mt-2003-sun-corona.jpg

Car,

Although such problems are aggravating, you have chosen all the wrong ways of dealing with it.

Instead of rushing to reformat your PC based on the comment of a friend and then post an angry complaint here afterwards, you should have contacted Eagle Dynamics or/and Starforce and described the problem you experienced to begin with. Re-formatting your system should be the very last resort - not the first.

No one is out to cause you problems and, if you had taken the time to contact us, I am sure we could have solved the problem with much less drastic meassures. But by taking the approach you did, you denied us the opportunity to try and help you.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

ijozic and pyro,

User error? LOL. So you disallow some unknown process from modifying your files forgotting that it might be the Starforce and then you cannot boot up your system anymore and you call it a user error? I call it faulty and potentially dangerous software. If all software behaved like this, you would need special experts just for updating drivers on your computer.

i agree with you man. get rid of starforce. It sucks and im really sorry to hear about your computer. I have never had this prob myself but i would most likely have a shit fit if ALL my info on my hard drive was lost (not to mention that my dad would prolly kill me). But yes, if any devs are reading this, i would like to ask you not to put starforce on blackshark due to the fact that it can really mess up some peoples comps even when they bought the game. I would rather call into Russia (or where ever ED is located) and verify my purchase by phone if need be. maybe if enough people post this same request, ED will consider a change. Thanks.

I am warning you - this forum has a zero-tollerance policy against starforce ranting and I can guarantee that if you continiue along these lines you can start looking for another forum to post on(!).

- JJ.

JJ

Well, I guess I can say I had experiences with Starforce when the western market was't even interested in their tech (some years ago). Every "old" (more than 4 years or so) disc with SF didn't only give SF problems (the game would not run with the original, legal disc in the drive) but the software itself had terrible slowdowns, I expect due to SF, because when I bought the same software here (it didn't have SF back then). It worked perfectly, and I could even apply updates without my whole installation getting messed up and getting random crashes.

BUT, I'm a retard, and I live flying way too much to not buy Flaming Cliffs, so I did it anyway.

I think ED is keeping SF because it's a Russian company, as well as ED, so they're trying to support their "brothers" (note, in a free market system, such things are impossible, only posible in Russia and CIS countries) in need.

It's like getting a job in Moscow/other CIS capital, you don't write an application letter, but you do have an uncle that will give you that job, same applies to corruption, which is widespread on all financial levels, and not only on the lowest and highest as in Europe (the middle man has too much to loose when he gets caught here, the lower classes don't care, the higher classes can pay to cover their a**es as much as possible), in the CIS it's just noraml to pay off cops, pay off the "IRS", and pay off anyone who will take a bribe ;) (they all do, hence the ;)).

So the inclusion of SF is well, a culture difference. A difference that hampers development since the fall of the Soviet fairytale and everybody is content with (or, that's what the media there say).

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Game makers need a way to keep folks from pirating , Starforce.... as much as I dislike it has yet to be hacked in Lockon. This to me seems like a good thing.

The only issue I have is it prevents me from burning stuff on my samsung CDR, but this isn't really a problem since all I do is fly on this PC, I am fortunate that I have a gaggle of PC's to do with what I want.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Zuki" Resident mud mover

CH HOTAS untill it breaks(for life)!

Not affiliated with any "squad":thumbup:

There are lots of games on the market now that try to communicate to a server of some sort before executing.

Its the way of the future.

Give it time and music will have code hidden in it that will authenticate to a server.

But his point was not that, was rather while doing it, it prevented him from using his PC and he wasnt knowelegeble enough (nor should he have the obligation to be such) to go arround the problem without formating. I would have transferred the hard drive to another PC for saving all the info in one directory and wipe everything else to reinstall the OS in it.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Well, I guess I can say I had experiences with Starforce when the western market was't even interested in their tech (some years ago). Every "old" (more than 4 years or so) disc with SF didn't only give SF problems (the game would not run with the original, legal disc in the drive) but the software itself had terrible slowdowns, I expect due to SF, because when I bought the same software here (it didn't have SF back then). It worked perfectly, and I could even apply updates without my whole installation getting messed up and getting random crashes.

BUT, I'm a retard, and I live flying way too much to not buy Flaming Cliffs, so I did it anyway.

I think ED is keeping SF because it's a Russian company, as well as ED, so they're trying to support their "brothers" (note, in a free market system, such things are impossible, only posible in Russia and CIS countries) in need.

It's like getting a job in Moscow/other CIS capital, you don't write an application letter, but you do have an uncle that will give you that job, same applies to corruption, which is widespread on all financial levels, and not only on the lowest and highest as in Europe (the middle man has too much to loose when he gets caught here, the lower classes don't care, the higher classes can pay to cover their a**es as much as possible), in the CIS it's just noraml to pay off cops, pay off the "IRS", and pay off anyone who will take a bribe ;) (they all do, hence the ;)).

So the inclusion of SF is well, a culture difference. A difference that hampers development since the fall of the Soviet fairytale and everybody is content with (or, that's what the media there say).

You just earned yourself a week's vacation from this forum. I suggest you spend the time thinking of a way to apologize to the owners of this board and the majority of its members for insulting them and their nation in such a despicable manor :mad:

- JJ.

JJ

My personal take is that the conbination of Panda and Starforce might be a problem, depending on the version of Panda. Have worked extensively with all versions of Panda over the last 2 years (yay for being a full-time geek), and have seen that it has it's share of bugs/features.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost data, Car. That always sucks badly.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Alfa - funny thing that customers cant talk about this Copy Protection...

ED and SF are some kind of family or what ?

Sorry but that seems to me a little bit like stalin would be still alive...

Customers are encouraged to contact Starforce and ED with encountered problems or/and post these in the "Bugs" section of the forum, so that we can get a chance to solve them.

But the Starforce copy protection system remains in Black Shark and I have said on numerous occasions that taking every possible opportunity to rant about this is unwelcome on this board and won't be tolerated.

As mentioned earlier, "Car" should have contacted ED or SF to begin with and have them help him solve the problem instead rushing to the most drastic of meassures and then take an irrational swing at them here afterwards.

Thread locked.

- JJ.

JJ