How DCS World 2: Red Flag makes me cry….

Wags

Thanks about the info on Steve Davies! That only goes to show that ED means business with DCS 2.0 and NTTR! Awesome!

Bought his book - Kindle Edition. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks for the comments. I won't say anything else specifically since I don't want to give away any additional details on the missions...but you can see from the Tacview replay that there is a lot going on and it is structured realistically. And yeah, it's gorgeous.

Thanks to Matt and ED for allowing me the opportunity to share some of the awesomeness.

As well, I can't wait to see what the talented user created mission designers come up with for NTTR. I don't care if you run a mission under the auspices of a training scenario..because it's just as heart pounding. Going to be some interesting "warfare" in NTTR..sign me up!

BeachAV8R

• Like 1

Thanks for the write up, Beach.

It's probably worth explaining a little more about the genesis for the Red Flag campaigns and the way in which they were created.

It was Matt's idea to create the campaigns (there are two: F-15C and A-10C). We thought that I could write a fictional narrative and associated mission briefings centered around attending RF, while Matt could employ his fiendishly good mission building skills to make the narrative come alive in the air.

Before we started, we went to an expert who had attended multiple RFs, including as overall mission commander. He gave us the insight that was required to create something that is as close to the real thing as you can get.

At an unclassified level, the expert gave us a typical plan for the overall two-week exercise, described all the 'evolutions' that take place during an RF, outlined the typical learning outcomes, and showed us the way in which they are administratively and tactically run. He talked us through the range space, showed us where and how the 'war' is 'fought', and gave us scenario outlines that we could use to create an RF in DCS.

It's this insider knowledge that, in my mind, makes these two campaigns so unique and exciting.

From there, Matt and I sketched out the broad plan for the 12 or so missions, defining objectives, components and mission flow, before Matt set about actually creating the sorties in his usual 'balls to the wall' style. I test flew the missions and then wrote the narrative and put together the mission planning materials.

After that, we created the custom radio scripts and Matt put in the triggers, ensuring that the missions fly and feel authentic. And we test flew again to ensure that they were not too difficult... but, as Beach says, there is no quarter given for buffoonery.

Beach hasn't really discussed the supporting documents that come with the campaigns, but suffice you say that for the F-15C campaign, we ended up with

• 26 Pages of tactical briefings

These are short summaries that you can read before each mission if you don't want to spend too much time going through the narrative.

These briefings are presented on the mission summary page before each mission, so you don't have to have anything open other than DCS.

• 100 pages of narrative and briefings

This amounts to about 22,000 words and was designed to really draw you into the campaign, help you suspend disbelief, and give you all of the details you'll need to successfully complete each mission.

It contains the fictional narrative, tactical summaries of what happened 'the day before' and what is expected to happen 'today', as well as very detailed briefings for the forthcoming evolution: mission flow, timings, players, goals, radio call signs, tactical plans, threat assessments, motherhood briefings, mission administration and so on.

It is also illustrated, with lineup cards for each mission that you can print and use, and maps of the NTTR airspace.

The use of the tactical briefings means that if you just want to fly and have fun, you can do that.

But, if you're like me (and like the real life guys flying RF), the 100-page version will ensure that you'll spend as much time (if not more) reading the briefings and planning in the mission editor than you will actually flying... :joystick::smartass:

What I believe we ended up with the is the most rounded, most authentic, and most engaging of any of the campaigns I have flown in the DCS suite. Of course, you could accuse me of bias, but you can make up your own minds...

For me, the most satisfying thing about the missions Matt crafted is that they really do push home the importance of operating as part of a large force, which is one of the fundamental objectives of Red Flag. If you go out to the range space as a singleton, you'll die quickly and you will fail the mission. If you lose SA early, you will die and fail the mission. If you violate your range space, you will fail the mission. But if you work with the other players, hit your ToTs, stay on station for your vul times, fly the CAPs properly, maintain SA and do what the mission plan asks of you, you'll likely succeed.

I don't care that this is a simulation of, er, a simulation - as Beach says, flying back down the Sally Corridor having completed a mission gives you a real sense of accomplishment.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure that you guys have a complete picture of what's coming your way.

• Like 1

Nice to have that additional info. Thanks for that and taking out the time to give us a feel for the thorough way Ed and partners go that extra mile:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thats awesome, thanks for taking the time to add that info, really cant wait for these to all be available, they sound amazing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Steve Davies - thank you for posting here and describing what went into building Red Flag for DCS 2.0 NTTR... I am more than excited to sink my teeth into all of this once we get our hands on it.

Really seems as if 2.0 is kicking flight simulation up a notch. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Nice post, enjoyed reading that and really look forward to the new map. Missed it when they removed it from the early betas. DCS helped me get my real world pilots licence and as a mediocre combat pilot it looks like I'll really enjoy the coming months!

This write-up convinced me to pre-order the NTTR.

• Like 1

Skylake 6600K(4.5GHz) | EVGA GTX970 FTW | 16GB 2666 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance | MSI Z170A Krait | Windows 10 (64bit) | X52 Pro | TrackIR 5

Hawk T.1A | F-15C | F-86F | UH-1H | A-10C | P-51D | F-5E | M-2000C

USAF Pilot w/ T-6/T-38 Time

It's probably worth explaining a little more about...

Steve Davies in the forum :thumbsup:

Great, but where are your other 1100 posts Steve ? I would like to read those all :D

• Like 1

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

cant wait to stream the Redflag campaign ..... will be the first time that i really give the SP a try :music_whistling:

Really enjoyed the article... i like your honest approach to it :thumbup:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

For those planning to embark on a Red Flag campaign you must read the welcome pack

http://www.nellis.af.mil/newcomerinfo.asp

U.S. Air Force Fact Sheet

414TH COMBAT TRAINING SQUADRON "RED FLAG"

RED FLAG, a realistic combat training exercise involving the air forces of the United States and its allies, is coordinated at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., and conducted on the vast bombing and gunnery ranges of the Nevada Test and Training Range. It is one of a series of advanced training programs administered by the United States Air Force Warfare Center and Nellis and executed through the 414th Combat Training Squadron.

RED FLAG was established in 1975 as one of the initiatives directed by General Robert J. Dixon, then commander of Tactical Air Command, to better prepare our forces for combat. Tasked to plan and control this training, the 414th Combat Training Squadron's mission is to maximize the combat readiness, capability and survivability of participating units by providing realistic training in a combined air, ground, space and electronic threat environment while providing for a free exchange of ideas between forces.

Aircraft and personnel deploy to Nellis for RED FLAG under the Air Expeditionary Force concept and make up the exercise's "Blue" forces. By working together, these Blue forces are able to utilize the diverse capabilities of their aircraft to execute specific missions, such as air interdiction, combat search and rescue, close air support, dynamic targeting and defensive counter air. These forces use various tactics to attack NTTR targets such as mock airfields, vehicle convoys, tanks, parked aircraft, bunkered defensive positions and missile sites. These targets are defended by a variety of simulated "Red" force ground and air threats to give participant aircrews the most realistic combat training possible.

The Red force threats are aligned under the 57th Adversary Tactics Group, which controls seven squadrons of USAF Aggressors, including fighter, space, information operations and air defense units. The Aggressors are specially trained to replicate the tactics and techniques of potential adversaries and provide a scalable threat presentation to Blue forces which aids in achieving the desired learning outcomes for each mission.

A typical RED FLAG exercise involves a variety of attack, fighter and bomber aircraft (F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, A-10, B-1, B-2, etc.), reconnaissance aircraft (Predator, Global Hawk, RC-135, U-2), electronic warfare aircraft (EC-130s, EA-6Bs and F-16CJs), air superiority aircraft (F-22, F-15C, etc), airlift support (C-130, C-17), search and rescue aircraft (HH-60, HC-130, CH-47), aerial refueling aircraft (KC-130, KC-135, KC-10, etc), Command and Control aircraft (E-3, E-8C, E-2C, etc) as well as ground based Command and Control, Space, and Cyber Forces.

A "White" force in RED FLAG uses the Nellis Air Combat Training System (NACTS) monitor this mock combat between Red and Blue. NACTS is the world's most sophisticated tracking system for combat training exercises and allows commanders, safety observers and exercise directors to monitor the mission and keep score of simulated 'kills' while viewing the simulated air battle as it occurs.

As RED FLAG expanded to include all spectrums of warfare (command, control, intelligence, electronic warfare) and added night missions to each exercise period, the combination of NACTS, improved tactics, and increased aircraft/aircrew capabilities improved flying safety.

All four U.S. military services, their Guard/Reserve components and the air forces of other countries participate in each RED FLAG exercise. Since 1975, 28 countries have joined the U.S. in these exercises. Several other countries have participated as observers. RED FLAG has provided training for more than 440,000 military personnel, including more than 145,000 aircrew members flying more than 385,000 sorties and logging more than 660,000 hours of flying time.

This mock battle in the skies over the Nevada Test and Training Range has yielded results that will increase the combat capability of our armed forces for any future combat situation.

(Current as of February 2012)

Also can I ask whether there are plans to do a Green Flag campaign

Green Flag - West aircraft and crews fly from Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, in support of ground combat training at Fort Irwin (Barstow), California.

With CA this would be fun:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great, but where are your other 1100 posts Steve ? I would like to read those all :D

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you :helpsmilie:.

I spent a few years beta testing for ED, so they're all buried the other side of whatever permissions structure the forum has. As a mere mortal now, not even I can access them!

Video doesn't seem to work....

EDIT: Fixed; Thanks Steve!

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Cool video! Really sets the mood for the upcoming DCS 2.0 with NTTR.

Amazing how "right" ED gets it in terms of how the distant horizon and the sun looks.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com