Flaps: why a neutral position?

harf4ng

Is it here just so you can stop the flaps in middle to not have them full up or down, but anything in between?

And are there situations where you really need this?

I have a TPM from saitek with switches, but I have up, down, but no middle for the switches, so can I just forget about this neutral position, and always use full up, full down, and if I need something in between I just setup a keyboard key so I can stop the flaps before the full position?

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

The flaps in the F-86 are electric; with two motors one for each individual flap but also each flap is connected together in case of one of the motors fail.

The 3 position leaver is because of the nature of the electrical system, ie you can drive an electric motor in one direction or the other but you still need a neutral position. The flight manual does say that the flaps can be used in positions in between full flap down and up. However, I have read nothing about partial flaps ever being useful in the F-86, in combat or in regular flight.

Even in slow flight, ie landing partial flaps are next to useless because you really need full flap for the drag (If you are flying a military approach)

With your bindings, I havent seen a flap failure in game so all you need is a flaps up or a flaps down position and you should be fine!

So thanks for the info :)

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Just to say, I don't know about flap usage in the F-86F, but in any case you definietely do not need a separate switch position for flaps neutral. IIRC, flaps up and flaps down only operate the flaps as long as you press the switch ; when you let go, the flaps stop where they are. Same as the airbrakes.

EDIT: confirmed

As per the F-86F -1, there is at least one situation that requires partial flaps : when carrying certain ordnance the flaps should not be lowered more than 20°. But I think the ordnance in question is not available for the F-86F in DCS World.

Edited by Robin_Hood

Yes but what I mean is the way saitek TPM works, each switch only has two states, up and down. There is no idle position, like there is on the X55, so the switch is either up or down.

Therefore if I setup the flaps on one of those switches, I have no way to stop them, the lever will always be up or down, never in the middle...

I use partial flaps for take-off. I just eye-ball it by looking over my shoulder and estimate when they're about 10 degrees down.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 4 weeks later...

Tapping flap down will make it go all the way down for me, but if I hold it down it will stop when I release. Just fyi in case it helps anyone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

[DoW]King

Owned Aircraft: P-51D, F-86F, Bf 109 K-4, MiG-15bis, MiG 21bis, Ka-50, Mirage 2000, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, AV8B N/A

HOTAS: Saitek AV8R-01, Saitek X-55 Throttle

• 1 year later...
Can someone please explain what exactly neutral flaps means? I understand how the flaps work and have controls bound for running them correctly, just don't know what neutral means as pertaining to a flap setting.

In the case of the Sabre, it's referring to the lever for the hydraulic system used to raise/lower flaps.

It's in the same vein as the landing gear in the Mig 21, use the lever, then put it back in the neutral (middle) position when you're done.