A-4E By HoggitDev

Really cool, Skyhawks are awesome little aircraft and I think given their size, range and armament, they're a perfect addition to DCS.

One question though, is the A-4E supposed to have the dorsal hump? I thought that Es had a flat back, and Ms had the hump.

A-4E initially had a flat back, the hump was introduced with A-4F but was later fitted to some of the A-4E as well.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really cool, Skyhawks are awesome little aircraft and I think given their size, range and armament, they're a perfect addition to DCS.

One question though, is the A-4E supposed to have the dorsal hump? I thought that Es had a flat back, and Ms had the hump.

I was told the hump was first fitted on the F variant, but E's recieved an upgrade. I can see why people would like a version without it, so it would be cool if we could make two variants, but for now this version will be the one.

#humpsneedlovetoo

Oh I love the hump :thumbup: For some reason looking at a Skyhawk without one always makes me think there's something missing, I much prefer the look, I was just wondering.

Has there been any thoughts as to what weapons it will mount?

The A-4 is an awesome attack jet! Great choice of aircraft.

Veeeeery much looking forward to flying it!

(If provided a good enough paintkit, I can contribute a few liveries, I have limited experience with that in FSX).

[sIGPIC]hi[/sIGPIC]

I was told the hump was first fitted on the F variant, but E's recieved an upgrade. I can see why people would like a version without it, so it would be cool if we could make two variants, but for now this version will be the one.

#humpsneedlovetoo

The last A-4 squadron I was in before discharge was VMA-311. We had the A-4E's and most went through the upgrade to the "A" (Avionics) Hump prior to the squadron deploying to ChuLai, Republic of VietNam. It took awhile and only about half were modified prior to my leaving.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

good aircraft, will be good couple with upcoming carrier

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I'll add sock eating to the progress chart so that we don't forget it :)

You'll be glad to know, there will be something to do with socks in this module ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

LevelPulse, in my response on the first page, I see that I have not really fullfilled the requirements that you indicated were necessary for a new project to be considered next.

As I stated before, the AD Skyraider would make a great subject for your next project for the following reasons;

It was also a product of that great manufacturer of US Navy attack planes, Douglas Aircraft. It flew in the Korean War as well as the Viet Nam conflict and throughout it's career, it wore many different liveries. It was the the inspiration for the Fairchild Republic folks when they designed the A-10 as it was THE consumate CAS plane.

An honest assesment of the pros and cons for building this model:

PROS

1. It is an awesome attack aircraft with the ability to carry a huge selection of air to ground weaponry

2. It was the last piston driven, single engine propellor plane used by the US Navy

3. It is a stunningly beautiful plane, IMHO anyway

4. It was designed to fly off a carrier

5. It's R-3350 turns a huge four bladed prop.

6. It's very noisey and belches great volumes of smoke and fire during startup.

7. It has a tail hook

8. Did I mention that it was designed to fly off of carriers?

There are quite a few still in existance and in the hands of private owners who keep them in flyable condition.

9. There should be no lack of accurate information available for this plane

10. There are numerous versions that you can choose from to model - I would hope though that you pick the AD-4 and/or the AD-6/A-1H

11. Relatively simple avionics. No HUD or radar to worry about. Just some communication radios - VHF, UHF and FM plus a TACAN, ADF and maybe a VOR - or not.

CONS

1. It's a prop plane and everyone hates dealing with torque!

I don't honestly believe there are any other cons.

Good luck with the Scooter, I can't wait to fly here! :pilotfly:

Edited by AG-51_Razor

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LevelPulse, in my response on the first page, I see that I have not really fullfilled the requirements that you indicated were necessary for a new project to be considered next.

As I stated before, the AD Skyraider would make a great subject for your next project for the following reasons;

It was also a product of that great manufacturer of US Navy attack planes, Douglas Aircraft. It flew in the Korean War as well as the Viet Nam conflict and throughout it's career, it wore many different liveries. It was the the inspiration for the Fairchild Republic folks when they designed the A-10 as it was THE consumate CAS plane.

An honest assesment of the pros and cons for building this model:

PROS

1. It is an awesome attack aircraft with the ability to carry a huge selection of air to ground weaponry

2. It was the last piston driven, single engine propellor plane used by the US Navy

3. It is a stunningly beautiful plane, IMHO anyway

4. It was designed to fly off a carrier

5. It's R-3350 turns a huge four bladed prop.

6. It's very noisey and belches great volumes of smoke and fire during startup.

7. It has a tail hook

8. Did I mention that it was designed to fly off of carriers?

There are quite a few still in existance and in the hands of private owners who keep them in flyable condition.

9. There should be no lack of accurate information available for this plane

10. There are numerous versions that you can choose from to model - I would hope though that you pick the AD-4 and/or the AD-6/A-1H

CONS

1. It's a prop plane and everyone hates dealing with torque!

I don't honestly believe there are any other cons.

Good luck with the Scooter, I can't wait to fly here! :pilotfly:

This is actually on our list of proposed aircraft to do next, we are no where near that stage but looks like that this aircraft might be a popular pick.

Edited by LevelPulse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz

Oh I love the hump :thumbup: For some reason looking at a Skyhawk without one always makes me think there's something missing, I much prefer the look, I was just wondering.

Has there been any thoughts as to what weapons it will mount?

Yep, we have a list. I won't name them all here. But in addition to the weapons already in DCS (Mk81/82 (Snakeeye), rocket pods, etc.), we are modeling and hoping to include napalm canisters as well as the AGM-12B Bullpup radio guided rocket.

A-4? huh?? awesome! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yep, we have a list. I won't name them all here. But in addition to the weapons already in DCS (Mk81/82 (Snakeeye), rocket pods, etc.), we are modeling and hoping to include napalm canisters as well as the AGM-12B Bullpup radio guided rocket.

Any chance of the C and E versions of the Bullpup too? :pilotfly:

Any chance of the C and E versions of the Bullpup too? :pilotfly:

The C yes, however no plans for the E, as it wasn't carried by the A-4E.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz