A-4E By HoggitDev

hopefully more FC3's level plane like this for DCS World ,for example : F-16, F-18E/F Super Bug, EA-18G,F-22...etc...it would attract more people to DCS

I think its clear to see that ED is moving away from FC3 style aircraft, we'll be hopefully expanding the A-4 to a full fledged clickable cockpit with an EFM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gos pretty much covered it for you :P You are definately right, however if the project was going to be paid there would be a lot more to take care of and to worry about. I think with how we are doing things right now we won't get into any trouble.

I would strongly recommend getting some proper legal advice before you go too far with this project. If you get it wrong, it could prove hugely expensive. Boeing own the rights, and as there have been feelers to them regarding buying those rights by at least one organisation associated with DCS World. I think they might look very dimly on any attempt to circumvent those rights.

Have you heard of any successfully defended cases of a similar nature for example? Without that, then it is all just speculation, and I'd be very careful about making assumptions that could end up proving terribly expensive - people have lost their homes over stuff like this, and even winning such a court case could result in incurring costs you probably couldn't afford.

I would strongly recommend getting some proper legal advice before you go too far with this project. If you get it wrong, it could prove hugely expensive. Boeing own the rights, and as there have been feelers to them regarding buying those rights by at least one organisation associated with DCS World. I think they might look very dimly on any attempt to circumvent those rights.

Have you heard of any successfully defended cases of a similar nature for example? Without that, then it is all just speculation, and I'd be very careful about making assumptions that could end up proving terribly expensive - people have lost their homes over stuff like this, and even winning such a court case could result in incurring costs you probably couldn't afford.

One of our members have already contacted a lawyer and we should be alright, not to mention we are not profiting from this mod.

Please see Gos's response about licensing issues:

There's no such thing as generic IP rights. At least in the US, intellectual property rights are covered by one of copyright, trademark, or patent. By definition, you cannot copyright the function of an object. The shape of an airplane is functional, even if minor, because I trust that the designers of most planes don't put completely non-functional elements into the design of the wings, fuselage, etc.

However, all the systems programming/design/code/behaviors inside the real plane, along with the logos of the various corporations who contributed, are things that would still be protected by copyright and/or trademark.

Things like liveries are designed and painted by employees of the US Government, and as such, their work is in the public domain. This includes photos taken by sailors/soldiers used to re-create liveries.

Think of our effort as being done under artistic license. It will not be a perfect replica of an A-4E, but instead it will be our impression of a mid 1970s A-4E with the upgrades or modifications that we feel like putting on it.

More than anything else, though, we just came together as a group who wanted to figure out how to build an airplane model in DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz

it's a fickle business, and lots of grey areas,

but I don't see how anyone could stop you bashing out a free digital representation of something on copyright grounds,

when IRL you can go out and find and bash out a load of scrap metal and build a perfect working & flyable example of an aircraft and then put said aircraft up for sale with no issues what so ever

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOz7fmuvabI[/ame]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

So....what's next after this plane is released?have you guys ever considered about some 4+ gen aircrafts?

Haven't decided, we've been looking at the A-1, A-6 and various of other planes. Once the Skyhawk starts to take shape we'll start talking about what next plane we should develop.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz

Haven't decided, we've been looking at the A-1, A-6 and various of other planes. Once the Skyhawk starts to take shape we'll start talking about what next plane we should develop.

The Skyraider would be so sweet!! Regarding the A-4, you show a buddy back as one of the stores. Is it your intention to allow human players to pass fuel to other human players?? That would be absolutely AWESOME!!!

As for the intelectual property thing, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, never mention the name Douglas in any of your literature. Probably the name "Skyhawk" is theirs too. Stick to A-4E, or A-1E :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Skyraider would be so sweet!! Regarding the A-4, you show a buddy back as one of the stores. Is it your intention to allow human players to pass fuel to other human players?? That would be absolutely AWESOME!!!

This is eventually planned to happen. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Guys,

I believe that there was a radar variant of the Skyhawk.

If you Google "Project Kahu" you will see that the Kiwi Airforce upgraded the Skyhawk with the APG-66 radar which basically gave it the same capabilities of early F-16 and F-18 fighters.

Just a point!

aim small, miss small

If this mod will be free then surely it means that you will not be asking for third party status which you need to get access to the DCS dev kit. Furthermore I thought you needed this to create an EFM and ASM and to add weapon systems - please correct me if I am wrong.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

If this mod will be free then surely it means that you will not be asking for third party status which you need to get access to the DCS dev kit. Furthermore I thought you needed this to create an EFM and ASM and to add weapon systems - please correct me if I am wrong.

EFM of any fidelity is possible without the SDK and most systems can be simulated well without it, but some data and interfaces necessary for radar, sensors, and weapon guidance doesn't seem to be available.

Im not really the guy to ask about this, but i have understood it as that you can make an EFM without DCS dev kit, but there are certain limitations i believe. again, i can't say much..

EFM (external flight model) is possible to be created without any restrictions at all - however, ASM (advanced systems model) is more or less impossible without the ED SDK. ASM is required for clickable cockpit and some instruments. Should be possible to create that using Lua, however. It will lack a few features tho.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EFM (external flight model) is possible to be created without any restrictions at all - however, ASM (advanced systems model) is more or less impossible without the ED SDK. ASM is required for clickable cockpit and some instruments. Should be possible to create that using Lua, however. It will lack a few features tho.

You can define clickabledata and commands without the SDK.

As well as model Systems.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Not being disrepectful on any other dev teams, but this one of the A/C I am waiting more excitedly for. Really. I really really want to dogfight in those. I don't care for the "specified combat role". I never did and never will :D

Thank you guys, for the awesome and hard work you are doing!

=MoAu= Mors Audente - The Bold Death Squadron

'Hey Jeff, the plane feels a little off today...'

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'The crew probably messed with it again, just trim it and we will check when we get back'