Taking off with a tail wind

Tailwind take offs increase the take off ground roll and overall take off distance and, depending on the amount of tailwind, don't provide as good of a climb immediately after take off.

The limit for most aircraft is about 10 knots tailwind for take off and landing.

Tailwind take offs increase the take off ground roll and overall take off distance and, depending on the amount of tailwind, don't provide as good of a climb immediately after take off.

The limit for most aircraft is about 10 knots tailwind for take off and landing.

I was being sarcastic :)

but thanks for the explanation :thumbup:

sig-YF19a.jpg

Its not that uncommon mistake, even landing on taxiways is not unheard of more often than not the pilot gets away with it, depends on lots of things, but a slow plane with a high tailwind componant is at the bad end of the scale....whereas a fast plane with only a moderate tailwind hardly notices the difference...she was prolly just nervous

oo err...missus:animals_bunny:

** Anti-Pastie**

Don't different ends of the same runway have different numbers or at least designated differently?

How could one so blatantly take off from the wrong end? I mean, they don't notice other aircraft passing by in the other direction as they taxied to it? I assume the airport was sparcely populated..

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

Yup, thought so; so how could she possibly not here and relate the runway number she was given clearance to take off on, and the one she was taxiing onto? Obviously, the taxiways needed to get there would be completely different, it's just pretty amazing.

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

Sometimes, when a long runway is available small/slow aircraft join it near the centre or some way along, using the same taxiway regardless of take off direction, so its possible she was on the correct taxiway and never even passed the runway heading numbers...not checking the windsock was dumb.....but in the stress of an early solo flight, these things do happen...human beings remember

oo err...missus:animals_bunny:

** Anti-Pastie**

You guys are assuming she was at a populated airfield with ATC. Since the OP quoted someone using unicom, the chances are it was an unmanned airfield - i.e. no ATC meaning no clearance.

In that case the pilot has to declare their intentions on radio, and people in the area are listening on the same frequency. Similar to TS in lockon, people say they are landing taking off on runway xxx, no ATC assigns them, they just decalre their intentions, and other pilots must keep aware of what other people are doing. This is generally what happens on unicom - and is how/why the other guy "got on the unicom and spoke to her".

Not all airfields are run like JFK or Heathrow with approach/departure/ground/tower frequencies with full time staff.

I live 2 miles away from one of these such airfields, so far today, good weather, only one aircraft took off. Not got my scanner turned on, but generally pilots just end up talking to themselves.

Guest IguanaKing

I've flown into an airport like that a few times and, yup, the only COMs you get are to and from other aircraft, and its up to you to decide which direction to take-off and land. That was Meadowlake airport near Colorado Springs. The first time I was there, the pilot (I was being flown down to fix a transponder) started powering back and put the flaps down. I said "What's going on?" Pilot: "We're landing?" Me: "Ummm...where?" Pilot: "Right over there." Me: "We're going to land on that?!!!"

Its a short asphalt strip, and at that time of year (January), it was carved out of the snow, with 8' snow drifts along both sides of the runway. Its stuff like that that keeps me from ever getting bored. :D

Women at the stick?

Its like I say, women like to take it from behind, but they often get more than they bargained for, and not too soon they regret it. :D

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P