Official Campaign thread

baltic_dragon

Razbam is there any chance your going to make the GBU bombs more accurate when droped without a laser guiding them??

I love flying CAS missions but its hard to either find a A-10 buddy or set up a working reliable JTAC in game with evolving mission objectives. When dropping the GBU's I end up getting maybe 1 out of 4 close to my intended target and it really makes it pointless. BTW great job on the jet its awesome!

Just need to make the targeting system for bombs more dependable!

Razbam is there any chance your going to make the GBU bombs more accurate when droped without a laser guiding them??

Yes but You need fully working INS for this.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I love flying CAS missions but its hard to either find a A-10 buddy or set up a working reliable JTAC in game with evolving mission objectives. When dropping the GBU's I end up getting maybe 1 out of 4 close to my intended target and it really makes it pointless. BTW great job on the jet its awesome!

GBU-12s without laser guidance become simple dumb bombs, as they don't have any other guidance systems. Not even INS - like in JDAM's

fully working INS will improve CCRP bombing in general, right ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Really hoping to see some good multi-role missions with LGB's for primary objective and A-A missiles for secondary.

Thanks a lot baltic dragon for what you're doing!

There will be a few missions with primarily CAS role, though mainly with Mk-82s, rockets and snake eyes. Once GBUs are fully functional I have a plan for one mission primarily using GBUs. Others will be training or A/A. Having said that there will be quite a few surprises, things turning out to be not what they are expected to, using ordnance in somewhat unconditional ways... I think you will find it interesting :)

I think GBUs without a laser will be exactly as accurate as M&-82, ad GBU-12 IS a Mk-82 with added guidance kit. And I think there is nothing wrong with how the dumb bombs behave, the M-2K CCRP system is just not very accurate due to its representation on the HUD (compared to what you have, for instance in A-10C) and due to the fact that you will never be able to mark the target as accurately as with the Targetting Pod.

Even with INS I think it was said many times that you cannot drop bombs on the waypoint created by using the INS panel, though I might be wrong here.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

There will be a few missions with primarily CAS role, though mainly with Mk-82s, rockets and snake eyes. Once GBUs are fully functional I have a plan for one mission primarily using GBUs. Others will be training or A/A. Having said that there will be quite a few surprises, things turning out to be not what they are expected to, using ordnance in somewhat unconditional ways... I think you will find it interesting :)

The GBU is fully functional as far as I know. What's not working is the auto release when the cue hits the FPM. Now it is fully manual and dumb bombs are highly innacurate. GBUs are accurate though.

Even with INS I think it was said many times that you cannot drop bombs on the waypoint created by using the INS panel, though I might be wrong here.

No you are absolutely right

Having said that there will be quite a few surprises, things turning out to be not what they are expected to

Mmm, complete engine failure while over Kutaisi forcing you to land on that tiny airstrip (northern one) because the larger one has drag racing ongoing :music_whistling::pilotfly:

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Hello

It looks good, but I have a remark for the first trailer :

The guy talking has a horrible french accent, which is ok, but his words are very very US and a french would never say things like "fantastic guy" unless he is very fluent in english and in this case he would have a very good accent.

There is a joke that can be applied here :

A US guy who has talked 2 minutes with somebody will tell "this guy is a fantastic guy", a french talking about his best friend who has a Nobel Prize in physics and litterature, built his own home, car and plane will tell of him : "well, he is not completly stupid".

I suggets you have a french writing the speech with all the necessary faults.

The GBU is fully functional as far as I know. What's not working is the auto release when the cue hits the FPM. Now it is fully manual and dumb bombs are highly innacurate. GBUs are accurate though.

yup, agreed

tried them many times - they're functional and accurate :thumbup:

but I'm not sure the whole process of using LGB's is properly recreated in the game

I mean ... does one really need to mark the target area with a marker on the HUD to drop the bomb in reality? Isn't there supposed to be some sort of signal or indication which says the seeker has caught the laser spot ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yup, agreed

tried them many times - they're functional and accurate :thumbup:

but I'm not sure the whole process of using LGB's is properly recreated in the game

I mean ... does one really need to mark the target area with a marker on the HUD to drop the bomb in reality? Isn't there supposed to be some sort of signal or indication which says the seeker has caught the laser spot ?

I don't think that you need to mark anything to drop LGB. They're dropped as "dumb" bombs and provide no feedback if the beam reflection has been acquired. I don't think that it's even physically possible while the bomb is attached to the plane - the field of view of the seeker is pretty narrow. The only thing why you would need a marker is to drop the thing in CCRP mode. But it can also be dropped in CCIP if you know where it should fall more or less.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Hello

It looks good, but I have a remark for the first trailer :

The guy talking has a horrible french accent, which is ok, but his words are very very US and a french would never say things like "fantastic guy" unless he is very fluent in english and in this case he would have a very good accent.

A US guy who has talked 2 minutes with somebody will tell "this guy is a fantastic guy", a french talking about his best friend who has a Nobel Prize in physics and litterature, built his own home, car and plane will tell of him : "well, he is not completly stupid".

Hahaha, you are right, spot on with this one. Though most of French - speaking voice actors are updating their scripts I send to make them more believable. I am Polish, so what I normally write would also be far from what typical American would say and probably closer to French way of thinking :) but for the trailer, Oli recorded his part on his own initiative before I even could write the script - I absolutely loved what he sent and just plugged it into the vid. It still amazes me how great the community is and how often people go far beyond what they are asked to do - in a very positive sense.

Besides, you could have a squadron leader who lived in the States for a long time - and it would make sense to send the exchange pilots to him :)

Mmm, complete engine failure while over Kutaisi forcing you to land on that tiny airstrip (northern one) because the larger one has drag racing ongoing :music_whistling::pilotfly:

Failures are not implemented yet, but I will have to ask about it. Good idea :)

I don't think that you need to mark anything to drop LGB. They're dropped as "dumb" bombs and provide no feedback if the beam reflection has been acquired. I don't think that it's even physically possible while the bomb is attached to the plane - the field of view of the seeker is pretty narrow. The only thing why you would need a marker is to drop the thing in CCRP mode. But it can also be dropped in CCIP if you know where it should fall more or less.

in the Mirage you cant choose CCIP or CCRP mode. It depends on the Bombs. LGB is CCRP only. You have to mark roughly the target and drop it in CCRP mode.

in the Mirage you cant choose CCIP or CCRP mode. It depends on the Bombs. LGB is CCRP only. You have to mark roughly the target and drop it in CCRP mode.

And how about laser designator letter code ? Which should be the same as in the bomb's seeker. Shouldn't there be some kind of indication of selected laser letter code in the cockpit ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And how about laser designator letter code ? Which should be the same as in the bomb's seeker. Shouldn't there be some kind of indication of selected laser letter code in the cockpit ?

The pilot doesnt see or modify the laser code. It is done by the crew on the ground directly in the bomb. The pilot doesnt even know if the bomb locked on something or not.

• Like 1

The pilot doesnt see or modify the laser code. It is done by the crew on the ground directly in the bomb. The pilot doesnt even know if the bomb locked on something or not.

crap ...

thanks for info !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Besides, you could have a squadron leader who lived in the States for a long time

In this case, he would not have this accent

Maurice Chevalier for instance is known for his french accent but in real life, he spoke very well english.

A french friend of mine will never admit that something is true, he will say that "it's not false" (non, mais, c'est pas faux, hein?!). :D

Maurice Chevalier for instance is known for his french accent but in real life, he spoke very well english.

I disagree.

I'm french, spent some month working in the SFBA and I kept my french accent because more people understand me with that accent ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think GBUs without a laser will be exactly as accurate as M&-82, ad GBU-12 IS a Mk-82 with added guidance kit.

Good question. I believe I once read in the A-10C part of the forum that GBUs without guidance will miss badly, because the profile expects them to pick up the laser spot and fly the last part under guidance, which means a ballistic drop would take them too far off target. But like I said, that's what I think I once read. Would be great if someone could elaborate whether I got it right.

Haha, great idea! ;)

I feel pretty confident landing the A-10 on an airfield the size of a postal stamp, but with the M-2000C and my lack of landing skills in it, that would be really interesting. :D

I know of a few people (French, American, Italian) who speak German with almost no accent after spending half their lives here and/or studying the language for years and years. But I'm pretty sure they're the minority (*). Most people, no matter how much time they spend in foreign countries, will retain a more or less heavy accent, which is why I think the videos as well as the VOs I've heard during testing are just great - they deliver a great sense of immersion, and when I don't understand something (radio distortion effects sure don't help with clarity of comms ;)), I just glance at the subtitles.

Besides, saying that French native speakers have too much of a French accent while they talk English seems a bit presumptuous to me. :music_whistling:

(*) On the other hand, there are (in-) famous examples of German career politicians set se wörst Inglish schpeeking set I ever in my life gehurted have. :lol:

Good question. I believe I once read in the A-10C part of the forum that GBUs without guidance will miss badly, because the profile expects them to pick up the laser spot and fly the last part under guidance, which means a ballistic drop would take them too far off target. But like I said, that's what I think I once read. Would be great if someone could elaborate whether I got it right.

Yes, this is correct. The GBUs have two release solutions which can be configured via the DSMS profile page (see page 555 of the flight manual); the default is ORP for Optimal Release which will release the bomb such that its natural flight path will cause it to land beyond the target, so it has enough energy to maneuver once it picks up the laser reflection.

The other mode is BAL for Ballistic, which will cause it to naturally land on the target (in theory, in practice mid- to high-level unguided bomb releases are not accurate enough for this to work) like a dumb Mk-8x bomb. This mode is not used by default for LGBs because if they pick up the laser reflection and start guiding, they will usually not have the energy to make it to the target and will therefore fall short.

Currently, all bombs in the M-2000C seem to land beyond the aimpoint, but I think this is probalby due to it being an early WIP implementation and once other systems are more fully implemented it will be able to produce better solution cues.

It would make sense for the LGB CCRP release profile to actually release the weapon so it'll go a bit long unless it picks up guidance, although at the moment it seems if you designate for release on the target it will fly so far it will often miss the laser reflection altogether.

• Like 1

On an aircraft with a 'secondary' ground attack role like the M2000C I'd imagine that there are not separate release profiles within a drop method per weapon - realistically, the ballistic computer probably just identifies it as another Mk82/84 - without a targeting pod or LST the aircraft doesn't 'know' it's carrying a guided weapon. At a guess, perhaps pilots are taught to aim slightly past the target using CCRP mode to give the bomb enough energy to manoeuvre into the laser spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The only replacement for a Buccaneer is a Buccaneer".

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing how this topic has drifted a bit off the main issue, which is the campaign, a short update:

I had more than a week of break from DCS for different reasons, however I am returning to work now. If all goes well, by Wednesday trailer # 3 should be out and by the end of the week 10 out of 12 missions should be good to go. Despite the short pause things are progressing well. More details soon!

• Like 1