The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

Hi,

Is there a way to change the icon of an external app?

For instance as an external app I have put a msdos script file, and I would like it to have an icon other than the msdos script icon.

I have tried creating a .lnk but seems then the utility does not take the .lnk as file to launch but the software behind the .lnk. And my issue is that I need to launch an app with args. Not the plain software.

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

11 hours ago, harf4ng said:

Hi,

Is there a way to change the icon of an external app?

For instance as an external app I have put a msdos script file, and I would like it to have an icon other than the msdos script icon.

I have tried creating a .lnk but seems then the utility does not take the .lnk as file to launch but the software behind the .lnk. And my issue is that I need to launch an app with args. Not the plain software.

Thanks

Use BAT2EXE, Open Batch FIle, Add Icon, Compile to Exe,
The external apps section wasn't meant to have Batch Files loaded into it, even though it works. it loads the default icon of the sourced file, not the icon of the shortcut.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:43 AM, ShaunX said:

Hi @SkateZilla

As I have the disk space, I'm planning to set up an additional DCS Openbeta installation and then use your utility to manage different versions in both.

I've never tried this before or used your utility so I'd really appreciate it if you could please confirm a couple of things for me..

1. I need to initially follow the "dcs_variant.txt" file method steps described in your DCS Updater thread to create the additional install from a copy of my existing one ?

2. Assuming the above, does that create a new "default" saved games DCS folder, or does it create a copy of my existing saved games settings ? I.E. will it copy existing config/aircraft/liveries mods etc across ? If not I guess I can just replace the default one with my existing saved games DCS folders ?

3. Presumably then I just need to run your GUI and introduce both install locations to it ?

4. Then I can update each install seperately using your GUI ?

Thanks in advance

1. Yes, DCS Variant will generate a new folder for the open beta install.

2. it will be a newly generated folder, no settings will transfer.

3. yes, link to Stable install, and link to Open Beta install, the Saved games folder isnt required, and DCS will use the Folder specified in the DCS_Variant.txt.

4. Each install is managed separately, Updating, Installing/Removing Modules, Repair, etc. 

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

7 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

1. Yes, DCS Variant will generate a new folder for the open beta install.

2. it will be a newly generated folder, no settings will transfer.

3. yes, link to Stable install, and link to Open Beta install, the Saved games folder isnt required, and DCS will use the Folder specified in the DCS_Variant.txt.

4. Each install is managed separately, Updating, Installing/Removing Modules, Repair, etc. 

That's great thank you!

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Hi, Sorry if this has been asked before but I've been scratching around trying to see how it can be done. I have been using the app for a while to run a single server which I find is the easiest thing to do.

I'm now looking at running a couple of servers on one machine. I know I need separate write folders which I have got (copied and pasted the original saved games folder and renamed it for each server) and then I can set the write folder in the dedicated server tab to those folders, but for the web gui I'll need to set different ports to access the servers web interface?

Also the only way I can see to set the port for each server is to modify the serversettings.lua in the config folder in the saved games structure.

Has anyone set up multiple servers before that could give me a few pointers in the right direction?

Thanks 🙂

On 10/25/2021 at 11:42 AM, Ru55ell said:

Hi, Sorry if this has been asked before but I've been scratching around trying to see how it can be done. I have been using the app for a while to run a single server which I find is the easiest thing to do.

I'm now looking at running a couple of servers on one machine. I know I need separate write folders which I have got (copied and pasted the original saved games folder and renamed it for each server) and then I can set the write folder in the dedicated server tab to those folders, but for the web gui I'll need to set different ports to access the servers web interface?

Also the only way I can see to set the port for each server is to modify the serversettings.lua in the config folder in the saved games structure.

Has anyone set up multiple servers before that could give me a few pointers in the right direction?

Thanks 🙂

When you launch WebGUI for servers it should ask for which port each time.

My App only provides a GUI for the internal functions of the programs, if the function doesn't exist I cannot add it to the App.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Since yesterday I have been having trouble launching the GUI. I will open it and it looks like it will open and then it doesn't. It also wont show up in the taskbar. If you try and open it again. It does the same thing. Just starts to open and then never does. Never had the problem before.

Check Page 1 Post 1 for details on clearing temp folder/settings.

Hello, this is related to GR00VYJERRY's post. After deleting the config files the utility now shows us this error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed'
   at DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.FolderScanAndVerify()
   at DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4420.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DCS Updater Utility
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.1042
    Win32 Version: 07.01.2021
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/chuck/Desktop/DCS%20Updater%20Utility.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4360.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4390.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4400.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4390.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4190.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

is there a way to fix this?

The startup sequence is trying to scan for a folder that is no longer present.

Removing the Settings XML File Located in APPDATA LOCAL, should have reset it back to blank state.

Edited by SkateZilla

Perhaps answered back amongst the 70 pages, I have some questions regarding Presets and the associated files in the Saved Games folder. I have been using DCS since it was Flanker 1.0, and recently began using an Oculus Quest 2 with DCS 2.7.7 so I am beginning to use the utility for more than updating installations.

• I believe the current/main Preset: Default options file is /Config/Options.lua
  • I understand the Preset: VR Headset is likely /Config/Options.lua.VR and it is auto set and loaded when clicking the 'VR ON' button. However once it is auto-selected, it doesn't return to any previous Preset when ending that session
  • I understand the /Config/Options.lua.Backup is likely a copy of the initial settings file when the GUI Utility was first used
  • I assume the Options.lua.Preset01 to 04 correspond to the 4 presets regardless of the Custom Preset Names being used
  • I do NOT know what option file the 'Preset: Default (VR)' corresponds to, or why it exists (how to use it since there is the VR Headset preset)
  • I understand the Custom Display settings are stored in /Config/OptionsPresets/Custom1.lua to 3, and these are only loaded when that saved custom settings button is clicked on within DCS display tab
  • I understand that whatever preset was selected to launch DCS (with exception of VR ON auto-selection) will be the one that is updated with any changes during that session

Therefore, is my above logic correct?

What is the difference between the  'Launch' and 'VR OFF' buttons?

What does the 'Specify Custom User Profile Folder' do? Has it different than the Saved Games Folder Path?

Some suggestions or feature requests:

Hi I have been using this app for years and really never delved too much it to the functions except launching the game, can this program be set to automatically launch some apps I have ticked, I would like to launch Voice Attack and Simshaker when I click VR On, both are ticked as external apps on the Apps Settings tab.

Cheers

22 hours ago, dleffler said:

Some suggestions or feature requests:

1A. Expansion on the Build options is being worked on, the entire scanning is being re-written for future proofing.

1B. Presets remain because a lot of people used them, before ED integrated their own presets.

Launch: Launches DCS with Current Options (so last VR Setting etc)
Launch VR ON/OFF Launches DCS But overrides the setting and forces DCS To Launch with VR ON or OFF

1C: In order for me to include unofficial modules, they have to be 100% Original Work, A-4E, T-45C and MB were all 100% Original Works, nothing was linked or used any FC3 Aircraft Files. All the Above Mods use.

There's MODs and Modules.

MODs wrap a new external model and features on top of an existing aircraft from FC3 (A-10A, F-15C, MIG-29, SU-25/25T/27/33).
Modules are Entirely Self Contained original work that operate using authentic Graphics, Avionics, and Flight Model.

• Like 1

Presets are the main reason I use this utility. The built in method introduced by ED is just not the same. I have one for monitor, and one for VR. Just select from the drop down. Can’t remember what was clunky about the ED approach, but it just doesn’t work as nicely as the one used here. 

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

@imacken in the ED approach you have to load the game apply your preset, and frequently then have to restart (as if your presents change a number of them require a restart to apply)  where as in @SkateZilla's app the presets for a given mode (VR or 2D) are applied before you start the game, meaning you dont have to restart the game to change your settings 

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yep, I remember now. Why every DCS player doesn’t use this amazing utility, I will never understand. It sits permanently open on my desktop. 

• Like 3

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

6 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

@imacken in the ED approach you have to load the game apply your preset, and frequently then have to restart (as if your presents change a number of them require a restart to apply)  where as in @SkateZilla's app the presets for a given mode (VR or 2D) are applied before you start the game, meaning you dont have to restart the game to change your settings 

For that alone Skate's utility is a dream.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I had the regular release version of DCS installed on my PC until recently when I used the DCS Updater Utility to uninstall the release version of DCS and install the Open Beta version. So now in my Saved Games folder I have two different DCS folders: one is titled "DCS", which is from when I had the release version of DCS installed on my PC and the 2nd folder in Saved Games is titled "DCS Open Beta". In the DCS Updater Utility in the app settings tab, I have it pointing the DCS Open Beta folder in Saved Games and the DCS Open Beta .exe in my programs folder.

However whenever I launch DCS Open Beta, either using the DCS Updater Utility or just clicking on the DCS Open Beta.exe or the shortcut on my task bar, when DCS Open Beta opens up, it's pulling data only from the old release version DCS folder in my Saved Games folder, not the DCS Open Beta folder in Saved Games. I know this because after I run DCS, the date modified on the release version DCS folder in Saved Games gets updated to the date and time that I last ran DCS Open Beta and the date modified for the DCS Open Beta Folder in Saved Games remains unchanged. I also recently added the F22 mod folder to my mod folder in Saved Games/DCS Open Beta/Mods/Aircraft/, but when I run DCS Open Beta and go to control settings or mission editor, the F22 isn't showing up in either drop list of aircraft. In the mission editor I made sure that I has the "historical-only" button unselected, so that's not the reason why the F22 isn't showing up in the Mission Editor and that still wouldn't explain why the F22 isn't showing up in the drop list of aircraft in the Control Settings window. 

So do I need to move the release version DCS folder out of my Saved Games folder and store it elsewhere on my PC, in case I ever need it later? I don't think I should have to do this because I have seen lots of videos on Youtube where people had both subfolders for the release version of DCS and the open beta version in their saved games folders and when they ran DCS Open Beta it pulled data from the correct DCS folder in Saved Games. Also in the DCS Updater Utility application settings, I have the utility pointing to the DCS Open Beta folder in Saved Games, so whenever I use the Updater Utility to launch DCS Open Beta, shouldn't it use the application setting pointing to Saved Games/DCS Open Beta folder instead of the release version? 

I just tried moving the release version DCS folder out of my Saved Games folder and leaving the DCS Open Beta folder in my Saved Games folder. Then I launched DCS Open Beta. Instantaneously, the application created a new DCS folder in my Saved Games folder, and its pulling data from that folder and not my Open Beta DCS folder in Saved Games. The F22 mod folder is installed in the DCS Open Beta folder in Saved Games, so the F22 isn't available in DCS when I launch the application. I used the DCS Updater Utility to launch DCS Open Beta, and in the DCS Updater Utility application settings, I definitely have the utility pointing to the DCS Open Beta folder in Saved Games, but DCS Open Beta still created a brand new DCS folder in my Saved Games folder as soon as I launched the application, and DCS ignored the DCS Open Beta folder that's in my Saved Games folder. 

What the heck is going on? 

20 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

check the contents of dcs_variant.txt in each directory 

Where do I find the file dcs_variant.txt? Where is the directory? Is it in the main DCS World folder where the DCS.exe is located or is it in the Saved Games folders? I don't see a subfolder titled directory in either of these locations. 

I think I found a temporary fix, but I'm not sure that it won't cause other problems. Yesterday after I realized that the DCS Open Beta application was pulling date from and saving data to my Saved Games/DCS folder (release version), instead of my Saved Games/DCS Open Beta folder, I moved the Saved Gamed/DCS folder (release version) out of my Saved Games folder and put it on another hard drive, in case I ever need it. However as soon as I started up the DCS Open Beta application again, the app created a new folder in Saved games title: DCS, which the application pulled data from and saved data to. This new folder just had the bare bones and lacked all of the subfolders and files that has been added to date to my previous DCS saved games folder since I've been playing DCS. So I deleted this new DCS (release version) folder from my saved games folder, leaving only the DCS Open Beta folder in Saved Games. Then I started up DCS Open Beta again, but once again it created a new DCS folder in saved games and ignored the Saved Games/DCS Open Beta folder. 

So then I deleted the new DCS folder again, but this time I just renamed my Saved Games/DCS Open Beta folder to Saved Games/DCS. Then I started up DCS Open Beta and this time the app didn't created a new DCS folder in Saved Games and it pulled date from and saved data to the Saved Games/DCS folder that is essentially my Saved Games/DCS Open Beta folder, just renamed.

I don't know if this is a good fix or if it will cause other problems. Regardless, I still want to figure out why the DCS Open Beta application was ignoring the Saved Games/DCS Open beta folder and only pulling and saving data to and from my DCS (release version) folder and even after I removed the DCS (release version) folder, why was DCS Open Beta still ignoring the Saved Games/DCS Open Beta folder and creating a new DCS folder in Saved Games.

3 minutes ago, CrashAlot said:

Where do I find the file dcs_variant.txt? Where is the directory? Is it in the main DCS World folder where the DCS.exe is located or is it in the Saved Games folders? I don't see a subfolder titled directory in either of these locations. 

It's in your main install fodler, e.g. E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta

• Like 1

In the install root directory. It might not be there. But you can create it.
In it type "whatever" and when you start DCS, it will create a "DCS.whatever" directory, and use that.
So if you put "openbeta" in it, it will use "DCS.openbeta" as the directory.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk