The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

9 hours ago, skypickle said:

I have two installations of DCS and this wonderful utility launches each properly. One is 'pure' and the other has changes in various lua files. However, I have also specified different saved games folder in the app settings for each. One DCS folder in the proper saved games location has many missions in its missions folder. The other DCS 'saved games'  folder in the alternate location has an empty missions folder. When I launch the 'pure' client which is associated with the DCS 'saved games' folder in the alternate location ( with the empty missions folder), the game starts up with all of the missions from the proper folder with all the missions.Both presets have green squares in the status column.

Then there is a button labeled  'Specify Custom User Profile folder'. Isnt that what the entries in the 'Saved Games Folder PAth' are? custom locations?

When I specify a 'Custom User Profile folder', which slot/build does it refer to?

that's for the App Settings and Log..

Saved games for each build is set in the saved games section.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

3 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

that's for the App Settings and Log..

Saved games for each build is set in the saved games section.

thank you for your reply but i am a little dense and cannot parse it.

what does this mean? 'Saved games for each build is set in the saved games section' are these not the fields to the right of each build field?

and  is 'that's for the App Settings and Log..' referring to the skatezilla app? Why would anyone want a special folder for your app settings?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

2 hours ago, skypickle said:

thank you for your reply but i am a little dense and cannot parse it.

what does this mean? 'Saved games for each build is set in the saved games section' are these not the fields to the right of each build field?

and  is 'that's for the App Settings and Log..' referring to the skatezilla app? Why would anyone want a special folder for your app settings?

Correct, Saved Games folder paths for each build are set to the right of the build,

the App Settings file, logs, etc can be changed if a user wants to for my App.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Well, this is the way skatezilla is configured. I have three builds Lets focus on builds 2 and 3.

build 2 is the default saved games folder in the default location with DCS in the default location.

build 3 is a pure dcs installation on a different drive with a bare saved games folder without mods.

image.png

I can select each build like so:

image.png

or

image.png

The default saved games nissions folder looks like this:

image.png

The bare saved games missions folder looks like this:

image.png

No matter which I launch, I have lots of missions available, as if the default saved games folder is being used.

How do we debug this?

ED has a habit of breaking things and and not telling us.

Edited by skypickle

19 hours ago, skypickle said:

Well, this is the way skatezilla is configured. I have three builds Lets focus on builds 2 and 3.

build 2 is the default saved games folder in the default location with DCS in the default location.

build 3 is a pure dcs installation on a different drive with a bare saved games folder without mods.

image.png

I can select each build like so:

image.png

or

image.png

The default saved games nissions folder looks like this:

image.png

The bare saved games missions folder looks like this:

image.png

No matter which I launch, I have lots of missions available, as if the default saved games folder is being used.

How do we debug this?

ED has a habit of breaking things and and not telling us.

Setting the Path in the App does not change the path the DCS Simulation Uses.
The Path setting is so the App knows where to look for config profiles, Each build's SG should match the setting DCS is using.

You cannot use the App to tell DCS to look into a different folder, that's done through DCS or DCS Variable File.

Nothing is broken, you're not setting up the Saved Games Folders correctly.

Edited by SkateZilla

thank you for your reply. If I interpreted it correctly

'The Path setting is so the App knows where to look for config profiles, Each build's SG should match the setting DCS is using.

You cannot use the App to tell DCS to look into a different folder, that's done through DCS or DCS Variable File.'

means I can load a specific install of DCS and use the contents of the 'Config' folder of the saved games location specified in the Skatezilla field to the right of the field where the DCS install is specified. The remainder of the files in that location are ignored and DCS looks in its default saved games folder location?

How can I 'tell DCS to look into a different folder' for the saved games->DCS.openbeta folder ? 

15 minutes ago, skypickle said:

How can I 'tell DCS to look into a different folder' for the saved games->DCS.openbeta folder ? 

You do that either with a launch command, or with a dcs_variant.txt file in the dcs root - assuming that your "pure" and "default" are based in separate installs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/mgnvgb/cant_run_dedicated_server_and_dcs_on_same_machine/

"1st is if its actually a separate install of the dedicated server. Go to its install folder and create a "dcs_variant.txt" file. In this file just type whatever you want. When you launch DCS it will create and use a folder in saved games as DCS.whateverYouTyped."

Note that this was written applying to running a server alongside a client. But it should work just as well for what you are trying to do.

@SkateZilla  u said

'The Path setting is so the App knows where to look for config profiles, Each build's SG should match the setting DCS is using.'

What is supposed to happen if the DCS build I'm using is on the C drive and the saved games folder path is on the F drive? I am not detecting a difference.

Thank you and sorry for being dense. just curious. As per VeeSpike, could Skatezilla write a dcs_variant.txt file containing the info in Skatezilla's 'saved games Folder Path' and put that into the directory specified in Skatezilla's '.DCS Folder path'. This would allow DCS to use a saved games folder in a non standard location.

I found the documentation here:

Creating Multiple Installs w/ Separate Settings Folders from One Source Install, using dcs_variant.txt

Step 1, Open Notepad, Type a name for your main DCS Install, (ie MAIN) etc. save as dcs_variant.txt, Place the TXT File in your /DCS World/ Main folder.

Step 2, Run DCS, Allow it to load to the main screen then choose exit,

Step 3, Verify DCS_Variant is working correctly, Goto /<User Name>/ Saved Games Folder, and there should now be a new DCS folder, (ie DCS.MAIN), This folder will hold all the settings for your main install.

Step 4, Copy and Paste your Main /DCS World/ Application folder, rename folder as you wish (ie /DCS World Open Beta/)

Step 5, Open the dcs_variant.txt file in your copied DCS World folder, and change the name from MAIN to a different descriptive work (ie BETA), Save and close.

Step 6, Run DCS from the Copied folder to the main menu, then exit.

Step 7, Verify you have a new folder in the /Saved Games/ Folder for your copy (ie DCS.BETA)

Repeat for as many builds you need.

No matter which directory I specify in the Saved games folder field of skatezilla, I cannot detect a diffference

Edited by skypickle

On 3/25/2022 at 6:16 AM, greyeagle787 said:

Hey All, Don’t know whether this has been addressed yet but I’m considering a Mod, OpenXR, that will bypass SteamVR. So will just be using the WMRPortal for my G2. Will this affect using this utility?? Thanks

Absolutely not but you need the mod that make DCS & OpenXR talk to each others. look for OCXR_WMR_ACC in ED's User Files.
You might have find out that yourself by now but better late than sorry 😉

i7-9700K / 64Gb / 3080 FE / OS on 500GB M2 / Games on 1000GB M2 / LG C1 48" / Reverb G2 / Warthog Hotas & Monstertech / TrackiR 5 Clip / Tobii 5 / ButtKicker & JetPad / Os: Win11 Pro Dev / SimShaker / VoiceA. / VIaCom Pro / Srs

On 1/16/2016 at 6:18 PM, SkateZilla said:

Troubleshooting:

-In the event the App's Config File is Corrupted, You Can Delete it by Deleting the Following Folder:

/<Username>/Appdata/Local/Skate_Zilla_Graphics_Stud/

I'd back to DCS after about two years, and I think many like me have old DCS Updater GUI, which seems do not update to new version (amazing, speccialy, that I didnt expect that) until those folder mention above in quote is just delated. After that Clean and Repering goes as it should. Before it didnt even "seen" my instaled modules, but somehow was able to update DCS from 2.5.6 i think. Right now I have only one minor issue - im trying to add to Custom Apps SimShaker-Wings( or SimShaker for Aviators beta) but trying start them with DCS or alone from Icon on left panel causing bug:

Zrzut ekranu (136).jpg

Szczegółowe informacje na temat wywoływania debugowania w trybie JIT (just in time)
zamiast tego okna dialogowego znajdują się na końcu tego komunikatu.

************** Tekst wyjątku **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Wybrany plik wykonywalny nie jest prawidłową aplikacją tego systemu operacyjnego.
   w Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags)
   w Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.CallMethod(Container BaseReference, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags InvocationFlags, Boolean ReportErrors, ResolutionFailure& Failure)
   w Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.ObjectLateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
   w Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
   w DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.Button_C1_LAUNCH_HOME_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Zestawy załadowane **************
mscorlib
    Wersja zestawu: 4.0.0.0
    Wersja Win32: 4.8.4470.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DCS Updater Utility
    Wersja zestawu: 1.1.0.1042
    Wersja Win32: 07.01.2021
    CodeBase: file:///E:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/DCS%20Updater%20Utility/DCS%20Updater%20Utility.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Wersja zestawu: 10.0.0.0
    Wersja Win32: 14.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Wersja Win32: 4.8.4488.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Wersja Win32: 4.8.4470.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Wersja Win32: 4.8.4488.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Wersja Win32: 4.8.4390.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    Wersja Win32: 4.8.4190.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Wersja Win32: 4.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
Newtonsoft.Json
    Wersja zestawu: 12.0.0.0
    Wersja Win32: 12.0.3.23909
    CodeBase: file:///E:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/DCS%20Updater%20Utility/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
mscorlib.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_pl_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll
System.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_pl_b77a5c561934e089/System.resources.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_pl_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

************** Debugowanie w trybie JIT **************
Aby włączyć debugowanie w trybie just in time (JIT), plik .config tej
aplikacji lub komputera (machine.config) musi mieć
wartość jitDebugging ustawioną w sekcji system.windows.forms.
Aplikacja musi być również skompilowana z włączonym
debugowaniem.

Na przykład:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Gdy debugowanie JIT jest włączone, wszystkie nieobsługiwane wyjątki
są wysyłane do debugera JIT zarejestrowanego na komputerze
i nie są obsługiwane w tym oknie dialogowym.

EDIT: I dont wanna be missunderstood: Simshakers (Wings, Aviators and SoundModule) works great and without problems - they just cant be started as Custom Apps with DCS start or from left Panel. If I run those apps by myself everything is ok.

DCS Updater Utility.log dcs.log

Edited by TylerPL666

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

Eh, try the first post!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hello SkateZilla,
I hapen to noticed, that you did not update your app lately... Is there someting we can help you with, by any chance? Thank you...
Read a few "pages" back.
BTW, the app is excellent and works perfectly in its current state, and though I look forward to the new version, I don't see how you can perfect perfect.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How can one choose a single terrain to download? I tried selecting just PG but it still tried to install all my terrains. Several of the ones I own (and have used just recently before deleting) are not shown in the game's module manager and DCS Repair also tries to download all my owned terrains. I only have space for 2 and I want to select those two.

How to do this?

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

9 hours ago, Ghostrider142 said:

How can one choose a single terrain to download? I tried selecting just PG but it still tried to install all my terrains. Several of the ones I own (and have used just recently before deleting) are not shown in the game's module manager and DCS Repair also tries to download all my owned terrains. I only have space for 2 and I want to select those two.

How to do this?

Use the in-game module manager. It has a section for terrains. YOu can deactivate and delete installed modules from there.

1 hour ago, VeeSPIKE said:

Use the in-game module manager. It has a section for terrains. YOu can deactivate and delete installed modules from there.

Thanks, but I apologize, I didn't mention that that was my original problem, it was only showing the terrain currently installed. I'm up and running now, but the only way I got there was to move 100+GB of my other files to a remote drive and let the DCS Repair reinstall all the terrains I own. This seems like a bug because when searching for a solution I saw other posts of the same issue.

Thanks for the response though 👍

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

My brother downloaded the DCS Updater GUI and his screen shows Internet Connection Status: Not Connected in red. We can't find a way to connect the DCS Updater GUI to the internet.  He is able to use his browser to search etc, and DCS connects to the internet.

Edited by TVC Pilot

2 hours ago, TVC Pilot said:

My brother downloaded the DCS Updater GUI and his screen shows Internet Connection Status: Not Connected in red. We can't find a way to connect the DCS Updater GUI to the internet.  He is able to use his browser to search etc, and DCS connects to the internet.

The status is controlled by windows network status, if it's reporting Not connected, it's because windows is reporting not connected.

• Like 1

I am having a really odd issue with the tool. After launching the game and exiting the app does not auto pop back up. When I bring it back up by clicking on the app on the task bar it shows this. As you can see the app is acting like DCS is still running but its not. I cant click on anything as everything is greyed out like you would expect when the game is running. When I click end process I get the following error. I have tried to fully delete the app and the appdata for it but nothing seems to fix the issue :(. I really love the tool and want to keep using it. Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Hi.

I do have just one DCS install and in my squadron we basically only use the Release version. However when the Apache came out in the Beta I have used this excelent tool to "update" my release version to the Open Beta and it worked excellent.

However now that the release and the open beta are different versions, everytime I lauunch DCS its asking allow the update to the latest Open Beta.

I would like to just keep and use the release version. I have tried to use the function to "update to the latest release version" but that is the version I have (previous Open beta is same version number as actual Release.

How can I tell the tool to just configure my actual install as the actual Release and stop considering an Outdated Open beta that needs to be updated?

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Furia

11 hours ago, Furia said:

Hi.

I do have just one DCS install and in my squadron we basically only use the Release version. However when the Apache came out in the Beta I have used this excelent tool to "update" my release version to the Open Beta and it worked excellent.

However now that the release and the open beta are different versions, everytime I lauunch DCS its asking allow the update to the latest Open Beta.

I would like to just keep and use the release version. I have tried to use the function to "update to the latest release version" but that is the version I have (previous Open beta is same version number as actual Release.

How can I tell the tool to just configure my actual install as the actual Release and stop considering an Outdated Open beta that needs to be updated?

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks

You would have to manually adjust the autoupdate.cfg file,

since the version numbers are the same, DCS_Updater itself will not run.

Change:
[CODE]"branch": "openbeta",[/CODE]
To
[CODE] "branch": "release",[/CODE]

• Like 2

So what’s going on with this now. Can’t start the utility as it keeps saying there was an error with the utility. All I did was update my serve with windows update. 
thought it might be the exe so down loaded it again and tried with no luck. 

anyone else having the issue of starting the utility 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

10 hours ago, Wood said:

So what’s going on with this now. Can’t start the utility as it keeps saying there was an error with the utility. All I did was update my serve with windows update. 
thought it might be the exe so down loaded it again and tried with no luck. 

anyone else having the issue of starting the utility 

The Updater generates a log file in your Saved Games folder. Check that to see if there is anything specific going on.

The Updater has run fine for me since the last DCS update.