The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

There are no plans now, nor in the immediate future, nor in the 88 MPH Future to charge for this application.

If anything were to happen to myself, my next of kin have instructions to package the source material and get it to someone to continue development.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

@SkateZillaAlthough it's known from my numerous references to your amazingly useful application that I love this app, I would like to thank you once again for your efforts and support to DCS community.

• Like 4

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

On 8/8/2022 at 3:16 AM, mastershotgun said:

Hope so... This software was not updated for auful long time like 400 days maybe... And there is fruit company which claims all software not updated in 30 days should be considered dead...

Since you're such an expert on the topic,  Show us the library of software you produce for free and update at least every thirty days 

• Like 3

Don't Panic!

To add to prev. explanation:

Recently decided to look into taking the app and expand it to multiple threads.

A Brief explanation:
The Lag Experienced in old core, was more or less Subroutines causing the app to be in a locked/working state.

Complex subroutines cause this in the app when switching builds and forcing scan of builds and modules etc., and the old app was no where near in depth as the new one will be.

Ie Module Scan Subroutine on the new app not only scans for a folder, it scans for DLLs, extracts version info, folder size, developer name etc etc etc, and a bunch of calculations for functions/features that I will unveil when it's closer to a release date.

So for example, on a build with EVERY module installed from the birth of DCS World, a full module scan takes between 8-10seconds on a Western Digital Black HDD,
During said 8-10 Seconds, the App and the UI is in a locked "working state", meaning no buttons or tabs are clickable or functional etc.

So take that plus a build scan routine, add all that to the app startup routine, and you're looking at a 15 second+ Splash Screen time while loading the app in the background (though less on a SSD (5-7 seconds)

Preliminary testing so far (preliminary as in within the last hour), after integrating a thread interposer routine to direct the Module Scan Subroutine to a different thread, 
the scan time for the subroutine went from 8-10 seconds down to 2-3 seconds, and the APP and UI remain unlocked and responsive during the routine.

So the goal right now is to further test moving Module and Build Scan routines to separate threads globally, in both App Loading and Idle states.

I have yet to move the Scan routine to a 2nd thread during App Loading, so as of right now, there's no prediction on if that will run smoothly or cause problems having it done on a separate thread while loading.

The "New Core" is essentially done (finally), I'm cleaning up and adding safe keeping restrictions to some functions, and condensing a few things.
Most of the Module Art is integrated as well. Once all that is done, the UI art will get a 2nd pass, to clean up some things, then all the art will get maintenance passes for any issues found during closed testing. I have to do Splash Screen Art and controls as well as a few more extra sections.

Once I get a majority of the functions integrated, it will be distributed to wider range of testers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Nice update on the progress, count me in on the rage of testers, i have plenty of free time.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 8/26/2022 at 2:55 PM, SkateZilla said:

To add to prev. explanation:

A Brief explanation:
The Lag Experienced in old core, was more or less Subroutines causing the app to be in a locked/working state.

Complex subroutines cause this in the app when switching builds and forcing scan of builds and modules etc., and the old app was no where near in depth as the new one will be.

Ie Module Scan Subroutine on the new app not only scans for a folder, it scans for DLLs, extracts version info, folder size, developer name etc etc etc, and a bunch of calculations for functions/features that I will unveil when it's closer to a release date.

So for example, on a build with EVERY module installed from the birth of DCS World, a full module scan takes between 8-10seconds on a Western Digital Black HDD,
During said 8-10 Seconds, the App and the UI is in a locked "working state", meaning no buttons or tabs are clickable or functional etc.

So take that plus a build scan routine, add all that to the app startup routine, and you're looking at a 15 second+ Splash Screen time while loading the app in the background (though less on a SSD (5-7 seconds)

Preliminary testing so far (preliminary as in within the last hour), after integrating a thread interposer routine to direct the Module Scan Subroutine to a different thread, 
the scan time for the subroutine went from 8-10 seconds down to 2-3 seconds, and the APP and UI remain unlocked and responsive during the routine.

So the goal right now is to further test moving Module and Build Scan routines to separate threads globally, in both App Loading and Idle states.

I have yet to move the Scan routine to a 2nd thread during App Loading, so as of right now, there's no prediction on if that will run smoothly or cause problems having it done on a separate thread while loading.

The "New Core" is essentially done (finally), I'm cleaning up and adding safe keeping restrictions to some functions, and condensing a few things.
Most of the Module Art is integrated as well. Once all that is done, the UI art will get a 2nd pass, to clean up some things, then all the art will get maintenance passes for any issues found during closed testing. I have to do Splash Screen Art and controls as well as a few more extra sections.

Once I get a majority of the functions integrated, it will be distributed to wider range of testers.

Ahh ok I was wondering when the next update was going to happen. I always use the app

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS KC-10A - WIP

My professional Game Artist Portfolio

On 8/26/2022 at 8:55 PM, SkateZilla said:

Since nobody made that joke yet...

A programmer had a problem. He thought to himself, "I know, I'll solve it with threads!". has Now problems. two he

I'm kidding of course. Looking forward to update and thanks for the wonderful app, it's a must-have! I've been waiting for that update notification everytime when starting the app and even check manually using the menu option for good measure 😂

• Like 2

When I load up the utility and go to theaters/terrains, Marianas shows green as present, but I cannot check the box next to it, as it's deactivated. The other theaters are check-able. Not sure why I can't check it. I have the module downloaded.

Disregard. I found in the log:

8:42:54 PM: :Mariana Islands Requires DCS v2.7.3.8494+
8:42:54 PM: :Disabling Mariana Islands Button/Checkbox

However, I'm at the current latest beta version 2.7.17.xxxx

Edited by apd102
new info

10 hours ago, apd102 said:

When I load up the utility and go to theaters/terrains, Marianas shows green as present, but I cannot check the box next to it, as it's deactivated. The other theaters are check-able. Not sure why I can't check it. I have the module downloaded.

Disregard. I found in the log:

8:42:54 PM: :Mariana Islands Requires DCS v2.7.3.8494+
8:42:54 PM: :Disabling Mariana Islands Button/Checkbox

However, I'm at the current latest beta version 2.7.17.xxxx

Also fixed in new version, the scan subroutine wasn't coded to go above subversion 9 (ie 2.9), and see's Subversion 2.10 as 2.1, and thinks you're below 2.7.

Technically the subroutine is right mathematically, because .10 is still less than .70, but this has been remedied in the new scanning routine.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Hi all, I'd kind of been avoiding using this application since I started out with DCS because it looked quite daunting and complex. (Which is similar to my reaction to looking at the cockpit of a new plane for the first time!) 

But, having started using it. Wow! What a lot of work and, as mentioned by many others, such a labour of love.

I was going to come on this thread because I had a request, now after reading through a few pages I realise the app is going through full rebuild, and might have my suggestion integrated anyway, but here is is regardless.

I fly in VR, and i noticed that the VR options so far are SteamVR and Oculus API.

I feel like for a wholistic approach, there could be further options for replacing the OpenVR_api.dll file with the one from OpenComposite which can help with WMR users.
And another option to enable the cross-eye correction dialog to popup as per this thread.

• Like 1

OpenXR is already integrated in the new version.

Hopefully SteamVR does something soon,

Oculus literally has every tool you could possibly need, and every mode you could possibly need in the mirror already integrated and easy to change modes/settings.

SteamVR has been a nightmare since it was released, as the program is constantly crashing and unstable, 
Windows MR was also unstable, and when you added that on top of SteamVR, it's twice the unstableness, lol.

OpenXR removes both of those problems from the equation, it's a bit tedious to setup, but once it's working, it's well worth the time.

You dont know how many threads on dozens of different sites I have been working with users on SteamVR Crashes in DCS, the crashes were SteamVR crashing, and taking DCS with it, and all the crashes stopped when they switched to OpenXR,

It's like SteamVR was not designed for that type of object draw calls, too many items, boom, crash steamvr.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 3

Hey SkateZilla - nice with OpenXR, could be cool if it would overwrite the 3 files thats necessary to run OpenXR, when ever DCS is updated 😉

On another note....

I think i have brought my self into a bad situation.. 

I have moved my saved games folder - DCS works fine, mission, mods etc. no issues there. BUT DCS Updater Utitlity keeps writing logs in the old folder and i can not seem to figure out how to move the folder for DCS Updater Utitlity. I might have deteled the Config folder or something....

I get this error when trying to open Aplication User.Settings folder via the "Application Information" menu. Is there a way to restore DCS updater utility to default or somewhere in Regestry i can set the path?

Id also like to see it launch with different profiles - one for VR, one for desktop and so forth...

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

3 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Id also like to see it launch with different profiles - one for VR, one for desktop and so forth...

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, that is one of the main functions of the app. Select what Preset you want before you launch. I have one for VR and one for TrackIR.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yeah but those are the only presets. I usually have like 4-5 different presets for DCS, and usually have to swap between them every time I load up.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

You define your own presets within this utility. You can have quite a few. Can’t remember exactly, but it’s at least 5 or 6. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

ok so how do you launch them individually? and how do you know what presets do what? One of my presets is 4x MSAA and flat shadows, another 2x MSAA with full shadows, one with 2x MSAA and ultra clouds, and so forth...Say I want to load up a VR preset with some of those presets. How do I do that? Ive asked many times in here without any answers.

My wallpaper and skins

You need to watch Skate’s video in his first post. It’s a bit out of date, but the basics are still the same.

25 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

How do I do that?

Launch Skate's App, launch DCS, set your settings in DCS, close DCS, Skate's app comes back to live, go to the App Settings tab, locate "Custom Preset Names", fill in a name for the setting you just made and press apply. Repeat for the next setting.

I have 4: Offline, Online, Offline VR and Online VR.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!