The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

Hey All, I’ve been playing DCS for a little over a year now and using the Updater  Great Utility!! Have been working just the stable version loaded into slot 1  

Planning on getting into multiplayer and want to use Open Beta as well  Both versions would have exactly the same settings  

Can someone walk me thru how to get this done? Or is it pretty easy and intuitive?? Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, greyeagle787 said:

Can someone walk me thru how to get this done? Or is it pretty easy and intuitive?? Thanks in advance!

Check the Adv. Updater Options tab, from there on it's pretty easy and intuitive.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

1 hour ago, greyeagle787 said:

but age has its limitations!

I'm in the same boat, the further it sails, more worse it gets.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

If you want to keep the stable version and create a new OB version, just copy the entire stable over to the location you want the OB version to be in, use the updater to create (update) that version to the latest OB, then copy over your inputs in saved games manually. Fire up OB through the updater, go multiplayer...

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

If you want to keep the stable version and create a new OB version, just copy the entire stable over to the location you want the OB version to be in, use the updater to create (update) that version to the latest OB, then copy over your inputs in saved games manually. Fire up OB through the updater, go multiplayer...

If you convert stable to OpenBeta, will the Updater Utility create the necessary dcs_variant.txt to NOT F**K with the Stable Saved Games folders? Honest question!

14 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

Or…instead of copying, just download OB from DCS, load it into Updater, then copy saved games?

If you copy and convert the Stable to OpenBeta you might get some strange things regarding the Saved Games folders. OpenBeta needs the dcs_varian.txt file to NOT use the Svad Games\DCS folder. It's easily manually created. But you might as well run the OpenBeta installer as you seem to have planned anyway.

This is getting tough for this old brain! So if I understand, if I do a complete install of OB from DCS and install alongside the stable versions in main and saved games. Load the OB into Updater, say, slot 2 then copy all the saved games data to the new OB and since I will be using same settings for both, should be good, right? not sure what the dcs.variant.txt does for me

12 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

This is getting tough for this old brain! So if I understand, if I do a complete install of OB from DCS and install alongside the stable versions in main and saved games. Load the OB into Updater, say, slot 2 then copy all the saved games data to the new OB and since I will be using same settings for both, should be good, right? not sure what the dcs.variant.txt does for me

Do a complete install of OB. Start it, and it will create the DCS.openbeta in Saved Games.

(That's what the dcs_variant.txt does. If it is empty or non-existent, it will use the DCS folder in Saved Games, and potentially overwrite. I learned this the hard way, without a backup.)

Shutdown OpenBeta, and then copy the folders from Saved Games\ DCS to Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

Now, remember that logbook, input settings etc. will NOT be synced. There are ways to do this, but that might be for another day! 😉

OK, Thanks! I know it’s for another day but wouldn’t logbook, input settings, etc be copied from the saved games folders. Also #2, when running the Updater can I not synch the settings between the 2 versions? also, is it possible to use the stable saved games for OB?

Edited by greyeagle787

13 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Now, remember that logbook, input settings etc. will NOT be synced. There are ways to do this, but that might be for another day! 😉

Settings, logbook, input settings are always copied across (and working perfectly) when I simply copy the config, missions and MissionEditor folders from one to the other.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 minutes ago, imacken said:

Settings, logbook, input settings are always copied across (and working perfectly) when I simply copy the config, missions and MissionEditor folders from one to the other.

Sure, but a copy is not a sync. And you really don't wanna copy back and forth, do you? 

Honestly, I've never had a problem with just copying selected folders back and fore.

Tbh, I just keep the stable install as a backup if an OB patch has bad bugs. Doesn't happen very often in the last couple of years, I'm pleased to say!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

12 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

OK, Thanks! I know it’s for another day but wouldn’t logbook, input settings, etc be copied from the saved games folders. Also #2, when running the Updater can I not synch the settings between the 2 versions? also, is it possible to use the stable saved games for OB?

No, they will not be synchronised automatically, and to copy OpenBeta Saved Games folders to Stable might get you in trouble at some point.

What has given me trouble is MissionEditor and when input settings are different between OB and stable. 

To be honest, I use symlinks to use most of the same folders. Using the same mods folder is especially handy to save space ie. And I want my logbook to be the same. 😊 

4 minutes ago, imacken said:

Honestly, I've never had a problem with just copying selected folders back and fore.

Tbh, I just keep the stable install as a backup if an OB patch has bad bugs. Doesn't happen very often in the last couple of years, I'm pleased to say!

Then you could actually delete the dcs_variant.txt from the OpenBeta (or copy it to the Stable), and both installs would use the same Saved Games folders. 😉

4 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

That brings up another question. What if I just run the updater and install OB over the existing stable build. That would probably wipe out everything, tho?

Why would you do that? Then it's better to convert Stable to OpenBeta. 😊 

A lot quicker too! 

I think there can be an issue if we were back in the old days of DCS when stable was many versions behind. Then there might be an occasional incompatibility, but, as I said before, I have never had an issue when copying the whole config folder (which includes all the input binds folder) and the MissionEditor (containing the logbook) folder from OB to stable.

Stable is only a OB build that is one or two behind these days and as long as they are on the same main version, e.g. 2.7, than I can't see any real issues copying back and fore between them.

Edited by imacken

11 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

No, they will not be synchronised automatically, and to copy OpenBeta Saved Games folders to Stable might get you in trouble at some point.

What has given me trouble is MissionEditor and when input settings are different between OB and stable. 

To be honest, I use symlinks to use most of the same folders. Using the same mods folder is especially handy to save space ie. And I want my logbook to be the same. 😊 

Then you could actually delete the dcs_variant.txt from the OpenBeta (or copy it to the Stable), and both installs would use the same Saved Games folders. 😉

Why would you do that? Then it's better to convert Stable to OpenBeta. 😊 

A lot quicker too! 

How do I convert Stable to OB?

You select the build - only one in this case - from the drop down and go to 'Adv Updater Options' tab, then select 'Update to latest Beta version'.