RomeoKilo's Pit

romeokilo

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good lord...when you see it like that!!!! I wonder what the cops were thinking when they rolled by! :)

I remember local cops freaking out when we were practicing road marches with rucks and rubber M16's. (12 mile timed event so it takes practice).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Some Day you will add some legs and wings to your pit...

... as I told. :megalol:

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

• 1 month later...

No real progress because my time is still taken up with the move and the new house. Im yet to set up my work space in the new garage and the laser is still in peices.

Today i roof mounted the single projector and got the pit parked in its new hanger...

3672fca2dd0cc79c50f7851d1e58de47.jpg

49a80786891102d548b65d267c152077.jpg

None of the switches or backlighting (or anything really...) wired up yet.

I did play around with helios a little. Started a new profile and got the caution box fully fuctional in the sim.

14c53dc968b049f4f83d123074abe519.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Nearly a year on figured I should bump this thread so everyone knows I'm still alive and the pit still exists...

Shame how photobucket destroyed most of it (and the entire internet). I've deleted my photobucket account completely in disgust. I will try to re upload somewhere else and repair all the pics when get around to it.

At home the new workshop is almost complete. The laser is back together and still works- believe it or not I put it all back together and didn't even need to adjust the mirrors at all!

On the pit front-

I'm beginning to put together a sort of viperpit style bucket for the pit. The Aces seat, floor and rudder pedals stay together as one unit. The sides are on casters and push up against the bucket where they clip on. The main instrument panel bolts on the front of the floor.

Idea is I can then make new side consoles and new MIPs which easily swap out.

Once the warthog is done a Hornet MIP and side consoles will be next...

Putting together Flims seat-

I'm trying to work out a way to get the arming lever to snap into the on and off position. Anyone got any ideas?

1903d769c0acd3b46931e6809fcb23a4.jpg

Edited by romeokilo

G'day Burns.

Yep still got one thrown on a wall. The single projector is awesome and gives massive wow factor- but the surface you are projecting on is everything. Sim is definately playable as it is, but not perfect. I actuality uninstalled DCS and have been playing Arma 3 on it lots. Back to the pit and DCS now though...

I don't regret the move to a single projector. I got a massive performance increase ditching the three monitors I had as well.

My plan is to build a curved screen with two, maybe three projectors eventually so I haven't bothered at all with the 'screen' I'm using at the moment.

I'd love to have it curved 270 degrees so I can ditch the trackir.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good to see stuff from you again Romeokilo.

With regard to the arming handle try and see this picture; f-16-aces-ii-ejection-seat-arming-handle-real_1_4d41b989dced562998a4e1842ad1382b.jpg

If a push spring is attached to the end to the push rod then you should be able to achieve spring force while going from disarmed to armed and vice versus.

Good to have you back, Sir.

Cheers

Hans

Welcome back RK! Keep posting those updates. I still need seat arm switch also so looking forward to seeing your solution. I guess the key is to get the pivot point right so the linkage goes over center to hold it in the up position if you use a setup like Hans is suggesting. I was thinking of using a ball detent in some way but i think every thing would have to be fairly precise to get nice action. Maybe larger ball/softer spring would be better.....

@ Hans

Can you please post pics of your setup in the up position also? Those parts look like the real deal!!

Thanks

Clay

I've been modding Flims Seat to make it a bit more realistic. Lots of work still to go.

Cut out the headrest and bolstering up the seat back. Lots of filling and sanding to go.

I'm redesigning the seat arm lever. Cutting it on the laser out of 6mm acrylic so I can play with a mechanism similar to the one above.

I've ordered the rear shock absorber from a RC car for cheap on ebay. I'll experiment with that as the mechanism and see how it goes. 7a4adcc60c6e8be5a08ee200b3b7ce10.jpg

Thanks for the link- great close ups and they explain the mechanics of it well.

I'll use the same principle- however hopefully with the smaller RC car shock I should be able to have a rod and spring combined in a much smaller footprint- just hoping they will be strong enough for a nice solid click.

If it works I might even try a similar system using the RC car shock for the landing gear lever as well.

Edited by romeokilo

Looking at my design on paper it should work.

Just waiting on the eBay shocks to arrive so I can prototype.

Does anyone know if the A10 ACES arming lever has a safety pin in it like the F16?

I'll probably incorporate one anyway just because it looks cool with a remove before flight streamer in it...

Edited by romeokilo

The A-10 ACES II Ejection seat arming Lever does not have a safety pin inserted into it. The remove before flight flag has two pins. One for the left Ejection control handle the other to the restrain emergency release handle on the right of the seat. both go through horizontaly http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/images/aces2_g.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Headrest re designed, not 100% realistic but does the job.

Still sanding and filling the bolsters on the back.

Made the seat base itself more for comfort than realism. It will be covered in foam and wrapped in a suitable material.

The front parts will be built up from high density foam.

Still working out the parachute container, oxygen bottle, hoses and fabricating brackets from sheet metal.

And still waiting on the eBay shocks to try the arming handle.

Lots still to go on the seat but I'm happy so far. e2def95640f2367a9ff67ee9ba28ae98.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The seat is coming along.

I decided my modification to the headrest made it way to flimsy, as I realised it will be human nature to grab at it when climbing in.

I cut the whole thing off and am redesigning it to incorporate the chute container as well as working belt rollers.

I have now become tired of wood, paint and power tools so have taken a break from the seat for now...

1e02ff393cf8ca9a12c1a7968409105d.jpg

Fired up the soldering iron and got to work on panels.

CMSP is 95% finished and I love it.

It now fully operational in the sim.

I've learnt a few things-

1) DCS BIOS is f'n brilliant.

2) DCS BIOS is easier than it looks.

3) DCS BIOS is f'n brilliant.

Its running via an Arduino Uno for the display, switches and rotary however I ran out of pins, so the seven tactile buttons are running off the GGG card in the ELEC PWR panel.

Only thing left to do on this panel is glue on the switch top replicas, repair the genuine knob with some paint and try to remember where I put the green transparent plastic cover for the OLED.

1386f79e653570d90a5998dbad65d395.jpg

516b1206747b5f1d64675c8bcfc2327c.jpg

4f56cef80ec191d84a2e2c56af0f31bf.jpg

62bc962f0f1e25737cf410801c3c59db.jpg

Also-

The CDU and UFC are almost at the same stage but unfortunately I'm just waiting on some more tactile buttons on the slow boat from china before I can get them back together.

The TACAN and ILS panels are finished and working on breadboard, however after playing with and loving the I2C OLED on the CMSP I'm considering redesigning them completely, ditching the 1602 LCDs and using a smaller OLED as well.

The Radio Stack is also now working on breadboard, just trying to work out how I'm going to do the dual digit preset channel displays, preferably without having to do up my own PCBs.

Edited by romeokilo