Battleships Bismark.

Markindel

The real SFM side of these mods is pretty much not really there, I fill in the upper part of the lua for speeds and weights, damage model, gun mounts etc and there is a very generic SFM section usually based of something close like the P51 for fighters or cloning that bit from the B29 simply because it works "OK" as is. Both getting the data in usable form, interpreting and converting into DCS useful values and plugging it into the lua and then flight testing it to see if it performs as per the real thing is a very large job. I think they will have to be tweaked bit by bit over time and hopefully sooner or later Eagle Dynamics or it's 3rd party partners start delivering AI SFM WW2 aircraft which can replace what is being done now. So will note your comments but honestly I have enough to do for now with getting Markindel's aircraft mods usable plus real life demands. Detailed SFM work will have to come later on. By the way I have a question mark over the mach number in any case - I am not sure if it is meant to represent Vne or just a straight conversion of max speed to mach. I am leaning towards the former right now due to a few things I have seen recently.

I kind of see this exercise as a bootstrap to WW2 so it happens now/soon rather than a long time down the track. What is really still missing is generic maps like the dogfight maps from IL2. eg a generic desert coast area with a few roads, 5 or 6 towns ditto airfields, delta with a large town and port facilities. Make the buildings fairly era generic to allow jets to use them for late 70s/early 80s type conflicts. ED would I think do commercially quite well out of a DLC containing say 3 or 5 generic style maps from no particular era that could be used to be representative of many different places and times.

• Like 1

I have changed just the Mach number and seen the top speed of the a/c change, so it is doing something. Easy fix is to just bump it up so that it can fly at realistic altitudes. I was using a mach number of .42 and it was just barely able to hold alt at 25 k feet. I think I will bump it up to .48 and see how it does at 30k feet.

Ok with me as long as you realise that without the SFM side being fully correct it will probably do what you want at 30K but not do things right lower down. Not every B17 raid went in a 30K, I am pretty sure that a lot of the stuff done on the French coast was more like 15-20k and would be weather dependent in any case and height over the target would be governed by predicted cloud cover I would have imagined.

I've no problem with people doing experimentation however :D

yeah, fully understood. The .48 setting got me to 30k feet which will match what I am looking for, The B17 had to hold 250 knots TS to do so. For my campaign I have speed restrictions in place for lower altitudes to keep it closer to realistic numbers. This will work for now until we get better options.

Mario

Could you move the links to all of the Mods to the first page please, they are all over the place and as the thread gets bigger and bigger, as I'm sure it will, they will be harder to find.

I'm sorry to take you away from the things you do so well for us but the thread needs a little bit of housekeeping.

Best regards

Eddie

• Like 1

Mario

Could you move the links to all of the Mods to the first page please, they are all over the place and as the thread gets bigger and bigger, as I'm sure it will, they will be harder to find.

I'm sorry to take you away from the things you do so well for us but the thread needs a little bit of housekeeping.

Best regards

Eddie

You're right, Eddie.

I put the mod in the download section / user files.

• Like 1

Thanks Markindel. When I flew it had no problems keeping it straight. Just some rudder and taps of brakes. Also stick in gut to apply wheel lock. I did feel real heavy on takeoff and landing. Are the flaps working on this? I will test some more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Few thoughts:

• It is a heavy plane empty P38 weighs more than a loaded P51
  • I wasn't able to put 100% real weights in place as the AI did not seem able to take off. Thrust and Pmax values are double the values of a P51 but this didn't seem to make any difference (even when I went crazy and made it 10 times). My temp solution was to reduce empty weight until the AI was able to take off. Currently this is 4550 and should be 5342. <edit> so you may be experiencing this sort of thing ie lack of thrust or too much drag or not enough lift etc.
  • No real work has been done on the SFM side so potentially flaps do underperform. Currently the values are as the P51.

Edited by Stonehouse

Just to advise that after learning a lot from the P-38 this is now working for the Zero for human pilots. One thing though, historically the Zero took 60kg bombs only so I have used the SC-50 as the closest match. I am hoping there is no dependency on the FW190 or BF109 but there might be. In which case perhaps I'll change it to the FAB-100.

Not sure when Markindel will re-release the Zero but guessing it won't be too long.

One question about the Zero.

Its possible for human players to launch bombs or only for AI?

Bravi!!!! to Mario and the other guys involved.

I just installed and tried the fortress and it's impressive. A very tough opponent for the light fighters. I managed to shoot it down with the Bf-109, taking a lot of punishment myself. Its firepower is awesome! Attacks from somewhat above seemed to work best; because that allows to close in quickly and reduce the dangerous time where

A) it's too far for good hits and...

B) it can hit you plenty.

Also you have to be quick to finish the job, or the fortress will climb to altitudes where the Bf-109 can hardly follow.

With the FW-190 I made several attempts but my kite was trashed before I could seriously damage the fortress, I got killed almost every time. I could never get close enough for a good burst and took hits all the time. This fighter seems to be totally useless against the fortress.

So now we need the ME-262 (or Bf-110?) to fight the Fortress.

PS: the ME allows you to create groups with 4 B-17 but when you fly the mission there is only one.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Its a bomber, so the game only allows it to fly singly. If you want to fly it in formations of 4 you have to change these lines in the lua file, but that has consequences, you end up with a bomber that is trying to be a fighter bomber, and they are not the same thing at all.

Its a limitation of the game engine, nobody has found a way around that yet as far as I know.

mapclasskey = "P0091000025",

attribute = {wsType_Air, wsType_Airplane, wsType_Fighter, WSTYPE_PLACEHOLDER ,"Battleplanes",},

Categories = {"{78EFB7A2-FD52-4b57-A6A6-3BF0E1D6555F}", "Interceptor",}, 

I downloaded and set this up for JSMGE installation. I copied the bin, cockpit, and FM folders into the JSMGE folders exactly as described. But when I start a mission I get this:

DCS%202016-06-30%2021-33-08-885.jpg

What am I doing wrong? :cry:

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Hi Captain Bear,

the problem occurs in open beta versione since the last update.

Use the official version of the sim, meanwhile I try to solve the problem.

Molte grazie! :thumbup:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

You need to copy only the "bin". "Cockpit", "FM" should not copy.

From Markindel's User Files download page:

3) Copy folders

bin

cockpit

FM

from the folder P51D

and paste them into the folder of the P38D

I rather think he should know :huh:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler