Satiek combat pedals, toe brake take apart?

BTW - The pot used by Saitek is made by Polyshine in China, look the symbol:

http://www.polyshine.cn/default.aspx

But their "Joystick potentiometer" line dont have this metal case used in Saitek's...

http://www.polyshine.cn/Type_37.html

You sir are a legend!!!

:thumbup:

Will follow this up in the morning, need to go to bed.

Bad news is, I believe it is a eastern or chinese holiday for a week at the moment. Good for them, bad for me hehe.

:)

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

If those combat pedals are anything like my pro flight pedals were.. Crosswinds will be miles ahead of them in construction and performance afaik tell. But if you want, I'll tell you more about how I feel about them when I get mine in March.

Well I ran Saitek Combats for the last few years, and recently upgraded to the Crosswinds taking delivery in Dec.

The Combats served me well for the time I used them, but the Crosswinds are in a whole nother league like you described.

There really is no comparison.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think I might have identified the pot, and without Sokol's help it would be impossible.

Many thanks

Sokol I think it is this

F16K series (16 mm diameter)

http://www.polyshine.cn/ProductDetail-231.html

Still figuring out the numbering but if you look at the config options in the data sheet for this pot;

dhbkRij.jpg

but its a F16k

Note1: With F type shaft (Code1 : L=10.5 F=3.5)

Note 2: not sure just yet.

Note 3:

Single gang P type terminal

So looking at the coding it should be something like this

F16KND0F1CB50K6

Breaking that down

F16K - Pot type and diameter

N - Number of Gangs

D - pin configuration (this is either V or D, from the data sheet it is definitely a P -Type, just the description V = side / D = rear, depending on how you interpret the description?)

0 - Detent option (not sure on this one, but think it is none)

F - Shaft type

1 - shaft length and config

C- CCW position think its C (not sure on this)

B - Resistance taper (not sure at all on this)

50K - Total resistance (think its 50?)

6 - Operational life , probably 6 or 7, or 1 or 2. (so not sure)

Data sheet required to pretty much break it down attached.

F16K-2015-04-29-04-14-40.rar

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

This baby, P Type config with F type shaft to Code 1 specs

SrasLV4.jpg

9YeHn1M.jpg

Response from Saitek/Madcatz

EDIT just seen a blurb below their mail that says its not for sharing, so removed the copy.

In short, the reply amounted to they dont sell parts tough luck buddy, asked for proof of payment which I sent to them and questioned why this is necessary as the rudder is not under warranty anymore, I just want to fix it.

Waiting for reply.

Will drink some wine before I respond.

Edited by Vlerkies

D - pin configuration (this is either V or D, from the data sheet it is definitely a P -Type, just the description V = side / D = rear, depending on how you interpret the description?)

Yes, you need the model with solder lugs (P).

0 - Detent option (not sure on this one, but think it is none)

Detent if the pot have a stop in the middle or other positons, you dont need this, O is OK.

F - Shaft type

A-type, with D recess.

C- CCW position think its C (not sure on this)

If the resistance (or voltage variation ) increase for right or left (not big deal as games allow invert axis).

B - Resistance taper (not sure at all on this)

Joy pot need Linear (response) type B or B1 - the other types is for audio control, with logarithmic response.

50K - Total resistance (think its 50?)

Yes, 50 K or Kb like the original.

6 - Operational life , probably 6 or 7, or 1 or 2. (so not sure)

Think this "gangs" mean resistive layer, a multi-gang is a dual (or more) pot in one shaft.

So the options are blank, 1, 6 or 7.

The "anti-sulfur" probable mean some anti corrosion layer.

The important detail is: Rotational angle = 35º+/-10%, that is OK for "40º pot". :thumbup:

Where buy? :D

Hi Understand detent and feel as such, just not sure how it applies to the pot lingo.

The carbon strip is not full 360, maybe 330 degrees, if that qualifies as a detent, although the movement of the pot is only on the carbon area.

Gang/s from what I gather is the connector arrays and additional switches. Looking at the tds doc it clearly looks like 1 which = N

The Operational life one: well depends on what you think saitek put in there, so maybe the cheapest being 'blank' probably LOL.

Got home late, a bit tired so didnt do anything further today.

Cleaned out the pot with IPA at work. Will connect tomorrow and test.

Its definitely a holiday in China for a week, so haven't contacted the suppliers yet.

I have ordered the Crosswind pedals, but this is my little pet project and will be a bonus to get going and find info if a solution can be found.

I am pretty sure, even if the factory wont sell to an individual direct, they will be able to offer up a suitable distributor that will.

Best case scenario is to get them to confirm the specs of the pot as we are discussing, that is actual sold to Saitek, so there is no confusion, then we can look for a potential supplier so that in future owners can source replacements.

Thrustmaster was always so helpful with this, and even when not the Cougarworld community stepped in.

Considering the interest from Saitek, there needs to be a Saitek community driven database of parts for people that spend good money on hardware that is potentially turned to junk status by a 2$ pot. Madness.

Edited by Vlerkies

and sorted,,,, sortoff.

Seems a good clean did the trick.

Slight alignment issue but can fix that with a deadzone. Still jittery on the front end but much smoother through the press. Pretty much the same as the left toe.

Only has to last till April :thumbup:

• 9 months later...

Thank you for this thread. It has been invaluable in trying to understand what I am pulling apart for my right toe brake failure issue.

Unfortunately for me a clean of the pot has not solved the issue.

Where to from here?

Try to source a pot locally or would China be my only option?

I've ordered some Crosswinds anyway as frankly I'm disgusted at Sailtek for leaving us with no options here.

What´s your problem with the toe brake?

Isn´t it working at all?

Could also be another problem besides the potentiometer then - I had a problem with the left toe brake of my Combat Ruder Pedals not long ago.

The problem for me was a broken wire which I couldn´t make out at first because it was broken beneath some tape:

odbQre0.jpg

For disassembling and reassembling I used this topic - maybe it will help you too: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73311

I was able to fix the broken wire with a clamp - but I´ve got MFGs now anyway :D

What´s your problem with the toe brake?

Isn´t it working at all?

Could also be another problem besides the potentiometer then - I had a problem with the left toe brake of my Combat Ruder Pedals not long ago.

The problem for me was a broken wire which I couldn´t make out at first because it was broken beneath some tape:

For disassembling and reassembling I used this topic - maybe it will help you too: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73311

I was able to fix the broken wire with a clamp - but I´ve got MFGs now anyway :D

Ahh thanks! Yes I pulled the base apart first and didn't find anything unusual apart from a cut fourth wire that didn't seem to belong anywhere. Maybe I'll take another look when I can find the motivation to undo all those screws again!

Hi Deceter

Its a simple system as most things are. (hardest part was disassembly)

Noise will be created by dirty pots, loose connections or frayed wires. CB faults will be very rare with any hardware.

In some case wires that have been secured at build, but are now loose after some use causing a loose connection.

If its not the pot in question (good thing) it should be easy to detect and fix.

Fixed mine and gave them away, Crosswinds ftw, but my fixed ones are in daily use still by the recipient no probs.

Edited by Vlerkies

What different methods did you all use to get the cover off the toe brake?

2 screw drivers and a mallet.

It takes some doing, scars the underlying surface but its all good.

The covers are crimped on, so they will need some persuasion to come off.

They are made from a aluminium alloy and are not averse to a little abuse.

Just nudge each corner a bit and they will come off. They will clip on as new when you set them back.

:thumbup:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2670232&postcount=5

Edited by Vlerkies

• 1 year later...

Hi Vlerkies, I'm from the better side of SA, West coast. I have an issue with broken wire but will be able to fix it - in fact relace it. My problem is the brandy and mallet method to get the footrest off the pedal - will not work for me - I may lose my temper. Can you tell me more - or rather inbox me on FB me Pierre Cornelissen. Tx

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fools rush in where Angles fear to tread....

Core i7 4790k, GeForce GTX970 G1, 16Gb Ram, 2 x 256Gb SSD, 2 x 1Tb, enough cooling...

• 4 years later...

To whom interested I just replaced noisy pot with hall effect sensor using Honeywell ss485A part. Can share details if you're interested. 20220904_185203.jpg20220904_185113.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
video

Edited by HiWay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Win11x64, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i5-8600K OC4.5 GHz, 120GB SSD INTEL 530, SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250G, 1TB HDD WD RED, MSI Z370-A PRO, Cougar AQUA 360 CPU cooler, Kingston 2x32GB DDR4 3800MHz, 4K LG 50" Monitor, Meta Quest Pro VR, Orion2 HOTAS MAX,Orion Metal Flight Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition), GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT.

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, HiWay said:

To whom interested I just replaced noisy pot with hall effect sensor using Honeywell ss485A part. Can share details if you're interested. 20220904_185203.jpg20220904_185113.jpg

video

I would love to know how you used the hall effect sensors, I'm trying to replace the pots in mine, and would love the details

I would love to know how you used the hall effect sensors, I'm trying to replace the pots in mine, and would love the details
Sent you in PM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Win11x64, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i5-8600K OC4.5 GHz, 120GB SSD INTEL 530, SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250G, 1TB HDD WD RED, MSI Z370-A PRO, Cougar AQUA 360 CPU cooler, Kingston 2x32GB DDR4 3800MHz, 4K LG 50" Monitor, Meta Quest Pro VR, Orion2 HOTAS MAX,Orion Metal Flight Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition), GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT.

• 1 month later...
I'd be interested to know details too!
Hi what's exactly you'd like to know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 6 months later...

If it's not too much trouble Hiway, I could use your expertise in modifying my pedals with Hall sensors too.  😉

Cheers

Jolly

On 9/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, HiWay said:

To whom interested I just replaced noisy pot with hall effect sensor using Honeywell ss485A part. Can share details if you're interested.

• Thanks 1

Cheers,

Jolly

56 VFW

If it's not too much trouble Hiway, I could use your expertise in modifying my pedals with Hall sensors too. 

Cheers
Jolly

Sorry I saw your message just now.do you still need any help?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]