Antialiasing doesn't impact performance? HELP

Hi everyone, so like the title says, antialiasing doesn't seem to affect the performance for game for me, but somehow, I have bad performance to begin with. I have a GTX 970 that's overclocked pretty high (check my signature for full details) and sitting in the cockpit of the A10 with every setting on high, 16x AF, NO ANTIALIASING, 9000 tree visibility, max preload radius and no depth of field, even with a few things going on in the mission I only get about 50 and high 50 fps. This is very quite strange because this was about the same fps I was getting with my old 750 Ti I upgraded from. Also, I am monitoring the GPU and it indeed is using all of the power, running at full clock speed and voltage...etc. However, if I turn the antialiasing to even 16xQ, I get no performance hit at all when I'm in the cockpit! I am so confused right now because I don't know why I can't trade some antialiasing for better performance in the cockpit!! Can anyone please help? :helpsmilie:

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Antialiasing isn't that big of a resource hog especially in a game like this.

Meanwhile, how's your CPU? The new engine is still very much dependent on the performance of a single core, and sims are generally much heavier on the CPU than normal games.

But 1.5 has since changed that a whole lot and it's very GPU optimized now. Actually, I've disabled 2 of my cores on the i5 once and tested DCS and it didn't make such a difference at all... maybe just me though

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

Enable SuperSampling AA in your graphics card control panel if you want to see a real difference in image quality, but be prepared for a possible hit to performance.

I enabled MSAA to 8x in Nvidia control panel and made it override any settings in the application, but somehow, it actually didn't even override anything and the game settings still control stuff.

But 1.5 has since changed that a whole lot and it's very GPU optimized now.

What has changed is that they've optimized graphics processing to utilize GPUs better. DCS is still a sim, it's still CPU heavy for all the simulation/physics it needs to calculate. Those are not done on the GPU. If you were bottlenecked by your CPU in 1.2, you may very likely be bottlenecked in 1.5/2.0.

Actually, I've disabled 2 of my cores on the i5 once and tested DCS and it didn't make such a difference at all... maybe just me though

Like I said, DCS is very much dependent on the performance of a single core. You can have a million cores and it won't help you a bit if a single core can't do the heavy lifting.

For what it's worth, in 1.2 and prior versions I had always noticed a significant difference in visual quality and performance when changing the antialiasing settings. Since 1.5 and after I have not seen the same changes in visual quality or performance regardless of what setting I choose in DCS options. It's as though when EDGE was added, that feature was disabled. Just sayin' :music_whistling:

For what it's worth, in 1.2 and prior versions I had always noticed a significant difference in visual quality and performance when changing the antialiasing settings. Since 1.5 and after I have not seen the same changes in visual quality or performance regardless of what setting I choose in DCS options. It's as though when EDGE was added, that feature was disabled. Just sayin' :music_whistling:

No, the option isn't "disabled" to say,I can still see noticiable difference between none and 4x and some difference between 4x and 16xQ, but it baffles me regarding the performance between those modes especially with the mirrors on...etc.

Dsr to 2 or 4k and watch your mind blow open.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I tried... I set the resolution to 1440p and the UI did cooperate...

Dsr to 2 or 4k and watch your mind blow open.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but what setting are you referring to here?

Thank you!

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4).

Windows 11.

Take a pic of the options screen so all the settings are seen, and post it.

The first pic is all my settings. The second and third picture is what happens to the UI when I set the resolution to 1440p.

Untitled.thumb.png.ca1a697b46f8b76e522bd6d28b63bfba.png

Untitled1.thumb.jpg.c748c010e7b771f0f8b2f0b29bec168c.jpg

Untitled2.thumb.png.d9dbf44cf623707c6f8a367b4d7be2a7.png