Periferal vision

I wonder will there ever be a way to show this? From my knowledge the human eyes pick up things from 3 different "veiws" there is the target sight, or line of sight. About 3% of what we see, this is what we focus on and usually use to read. Then there is fringe vision. It is broader and used as a scaning device. then there is periferal vision, this we use to detect just movement and colors. I notice when playing lockon i can us the first 2 sights but never periferal vision. I always notice my speakers or parts of my desk. I have wondered, is there a way to somehow right lua script so you can make the viewing areas in a cockpit wider, or is that not possible. I realize that i dont have a screen enough to get rid of everything, but how can we make it more realistic. Is the future going to have computer screens that are like glasses so that was we cant see things around us? (the closer the screen, the more periferal vision we use right? What if you stuck our computer screen inches away from our head, would that look realistic if the image was made right? I know there are serious factors here, but i am just wondering if there is technology out there. LIke that would make track ir not work, or other junk, i dont care about that, but is there ever a way we will use our periferal vision to our advantage on computer games? (I have used big screen projectors to play games, and you dont get the sense that i am looking for.

Can somebody look into the future?:D

Yes, there's. Idea has been used widely in games. It's usually "radar" thingy of some sort that actually signals you movement of things that are outside of your limited field of view (because of monitor) but still inside edges of your real field of view.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Seems to me that if you want peripheral vision, the closest you're going to get is either surrounding yourself with monitors, or using the emagin z800 vr thingie. The z800 is a low resolution, but has the potential for 3d I think.

The main problem with any type of headset right now is fatigue. I can barely stand to be less than 2 feet from my monitor, but less than and inch... I can only (e)magin the the headaches. Once they up the resolution and refresh it should have more promise.

Best thing would be PC-connection plugged directly into your spine :matrix:

tail# 44 or 444

I think the best way your going to get to use periferal vision IMO would be to have 3 monitors. One for forward and two for left and right. Just seems like the only way it would work. Now im sure somewhere down the line some one will come up with something. Only a matter of time. But for now probably the 3 monitor direction is where i would go with that.

Just wait for the day full scale simulation rooms are available to the average home just like the ones used to train military pilots.

Think that would solve it though impractical

by the way isnt the periphal vision such that it detects movement but only in black and white? Its the rods of the eye as opposed to the cones that pick up the light hence in the dark when only rods are used (more senistive i think) everything is black and white

also the periphial vision can detect frame rate better e.g. look at a computer screen it looks fine look at something to the side so the screen is in the corner of your eye and you can see it flicker!

I think the best way your going to get to use periferal vision IMO would be to have 3 monitors. One for forward and two for left and right. Just seems like the only way it would work. Now im sure somewhere down the line some one will come up with something. Only a matter of time. But for now probably the 3 monitor direction is where i would go with that.

That is the best thing now, until the games truly support it. And I wish that LCD could make monitors that the edge IS the screen. So you don't get the 1-2 inch gap inbetween your monitors. Now that would truly be flying this or any other flight sim. Because LCD are steadly going down in prices, soon everyone will be able to afford 3 of them.

I always thought that this was the reason games had wide-angle view.

If I'm correct the human viewing angle (periferal included) is 120°. So if you zoom out in cockpit-view (and have a big enough monitor), you should be able to see what you want

DELL Inspiron 1564 / Intel Core i3 M330 @ 2.13GHz (4GB)___ATI Radeon HD4330(512Mb)___Windows7 Home Premium 64bit

I always thought that this was the reason games had wide-angle view.

If I'm correct the human viewing angle (periferal included) is 120°. So if you zoom out in cockpit-view (and have a big enough monitor), you should be able to see what you want

Not exacly. You should have a projector which throw the picture on half-spheric display and sit really close. But how to do it without casting shadow of person in front of projector...? :lol: Hope you know what I mean...

That is the best thing now, until the games truly support it. And I wish that LCD could make monitors that the edge IS the screen. So you don't get the 1-2 inch gap inbetween your monitors.

I agree. Matrox' TripleHead2Go is nice, but it would be better if it supported DVI connection plus if the monitors had no frames. They ruin the whole thing.

Right now, the best solution seems to be (at least to me) a widescreen monitor (perhaps Dell/Apple's 30", maybe ran on some lower resolution).

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Not exacly. You should have a projector which throw the picture on half-spheric display and sit really close. But how to do it without casting shadow of person in front of projector...? :lol: Hope you know what I mean...

Poko24, from what i have seen they project the image from the floor in front of the semi-spherical dome screen or whatever its called :)

this also needs some modification to the projected image to make it curved to fit the screen, there's a big thread on it here somewhere...

If I'm correct the human viewing angle (periferal included) is 120°.

Well mine is 180°, but that's just me :pirate:

tail# 44 or 444

great cockpit projection system

This is the dream system. See the demo clip.

VistaView Displays

Great find. I've just watched the demo clip. Awesome. That's some sort of UBER-TRACKIR ON STEROIDS :D

tail# 44 or 444

It's such a dilema - zoomed right in you have about the correct ability to see things at a distance in LO - but such a narrow FOV that you get no SA - & zoomed right out you get about the right field of view & some SA, but its ruined by the fact that things at a distance are single pixels & monitor resolution makes things too indistinct to see.

What to do, what to do ?????

Oh ! I Know!

Customise them to make them smaller & not give away what team the plane belongs to -, then zoom right out & TURN THE LABELS ON

Cheers.

What to do, what to do ?????

Zoom in and out all the time :)

tail# 44 or 444

Poko24, from what i have seen they project the image from the floor in front of the semi-spherical dome screen or whatever its called :)

this also needs some modification to the projected image to make it curved to fit the screen, there's a big thread on it here somewhere...

Thanks buddy!