New Hall Sensor kits

I have tried quite a few Hall Effect Sensors but strangely seem to do anything , getting the Honeywell stuff here in India is a bit difficult and yesterday I got the closet one which is the MH481 and the specs are same like the Honeywell but nothing happens on the axis if magnets are used.

Can anyone suggest ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

I have tried quite a few Hall Effect Sensors but strangely seem to do anything , getting the Honeywell stuff here in India is a bit difficult and yesterday I got the closet one which is the MH481 and the specs are same like the Honeywell but nothing happens on the axis if magnets are used.

Can anyone suggest ?

I've been using Alegro 1324 with Cougar with great results. Super easy to work with, has 90deg range of electrical resolution and pretty sensitive so you don't need huge magnets.

I've used them to make my own sealed pots but they work fine as 'naked' sensors too. Here's my post about the pots though: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3674791/diy-sealed-minature-hall-pots-on-the-cheap#Post3674791

I initially used A1302 (180deg electrical range) but have since switched to 1324 due to the 90deg range but make identical pots using the same magnets (5mm x 1mm N52 Neodymium x2)

I've been using Alegro 1324 with Cougar with great results. Super easy to work with, has 90deg range of electrical resolution and pretty sensitive so you don't need huge magnets.

I've used them to make my own sealed pots but they work fine as 'naked' sensors too. Here's my post about the pots though: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3674791/diy-sealed-minature-hall-pots-on-the-cheap#Post3674791

I initially used A1302 (180deg electrical range) but have since switched to 1324 due to the 90deg range but make identical pots using the same magnets (5mm x 1mm N52 Neodymium x2)

THanks, can i ask if you need to connect a 10k resistor from Vcc to data pin ? I am using a Logitech attack 3 and everytime the pots gets messed up , the voltage shown on the pots Vcc is 4.1v

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

THanks, can i ask if you need to connect a 10k resistor from Vcc to data pin ? I am using a Logitech attack 3 and everytime the pots gets messed up , the voltage shown on the pots Vcc is 4.1v

No resistors needed, Alegro sensors will hook up just like the old pots do. The only thing about using them (and any other Hall sensor) is that you can not invert them by swapping Vcc with Ground, that will only short the sensor. If you need reverse action (Cougar throttle needs this) you have to mechanically do it, easily achieved using an RC pushrod to transfer motion. For the Cougar though this is a moot point and the direction the pots hook up is the same as Halls will.

No resistors needed, Alegro sensors will hook up just like the old pots do. The only thing about using them (and any other Hall sensor) is that you can not invert them by swapping Vcc with Ground, that will only short the sensor. If you need reverse action (Cougar throttle needs this) you have to mechanically do it, easily achieved using an RC pushrod to transfer motion. For the Cougar though this is a moot point and the direction the pots hook up is the same as Halls will.

Thanks for the info, I will now look for the Allegro , will let you know how it goes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

You need linear response HALL - some act just as ON/OFF switch and are not suitable.

This 481 spec's seems good.

Saiteks and maybe Logitech stick's don't use 5v for feed pot' but ~3.3v (a way to mask cheap pot'). How wire HALL in this kind of circuit:

https://sfw.so/1149033286-ustanovka-datchikov-holla-v-dzhoystik.html

http://il2.skyline.kh.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=176

Edited by Sokol1_br

You need linear response HALL - some act just as ON/OFF switch and are not suitable.

Saiteks and maybe Logitech stick's don't use 5v for feed pot' but ~3.3v (a way to mask cheap pot'). How wire HALL in this kind of circuit:

I thought the use of 3.3v was just manufacturers being cheapskates by making Vcc the same for sensors as the brain/chip. It seems like ff anything, lowering Vcc will make a cheap pot seem even cheaper :p

I recently learned (I think from you?) that Alegro sensors are fine at 3.3v even though they are rated between 4.5 and 5.5vdc though.

The voltage I am getting on the Vcc of the stick is 4.1 , yes it should be 3.3v , I will check on the other Logitech (same model) as to what voltage it is showing.

Wow thanks for those two sites, though Russian but the images Is of great help

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

I thought the use of 3.3v was just manufacturers being cheapskates by making Vcc the same for sensors as the brain/chip. It seems like ff anything, lowering Vcc will make a cheap pot seem even cheaper :p

I recently learned (I think from you?) that Alegro sensors are fine at 3.3v even though they are rated between 4.5 and 5.5vdc though.

Today I tried the same MH481 using an external USB 5v and put a 10k resistor to Vcc so it wouldn't burn , then suddenly it was showing axis moving the moment I had the magnets closer (HDD Magnets) but then I think I burnt all the MH481 lol . but if I don't find the Allegro I will try to get the MH481 working.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

• 3 months later...

well I haven't yet ordered the other Hall Sensors, so now I thought I will retry the MH481 and to my surprise the Voltage drops when I connect these MH481 from 4v straight down to under 1v. I am sure the sensors aren't shorted , just to check , used a 10k on the joystick 4v to VCC of the hall sensor using the other MH481 and same under 1v.

According to the data sheet it's output should be around 2.5v that's if I read it correctly.

Would appreciate any advise.

P.S: Yes I need to get hold of the Allegro but I have these MH481 fresh so thought will try it.

Edited by humptydumpty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Could you make a set for a vkb gladiator? I beleave they used pots I could sent you a stick and a x-56 hotas also if you want to diverge your offering I think that may be the answer to the x56. Also I would like my saitek yoke converted to hall sensors.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Today I tried the same MH481 using an external USB 5v and put a 10k resistor to Vcc so it wouldn't burn , then suddenly it was showing axis moving the moment I had the magnets closer (HDD Magnets) but then I think I burnt all the MH481 lol . but if I don't find the Allegro I will try to get the MH481 working.

5V should not kill the MH481! If anything the resistor wont allow it to work as there will be too much voltage drop to the device at 4ma quiescent current.

I am experimenting with the UGN5303 and run it directly off a USB 5V power supply, if you need it to run on 3.3V which is out of spec according to the spec sheet, use a voltage regulator.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

5V should not kill the MH481! If anything the resistor wont allow it to work as there will be too much voltage drop to the device at 4ma quiescent current.

I am experimenting with the UGN5303 and run it directly off a USB 5V power supply, if you need it to run on 3.3V which is out of spec according to the spec sheet, use a voltage regulator.

Yep it shouldn't , the Logitech is 3.3v when I searched on the net but strangely I am getting 4v but still that's ok , I will check this voltage regulator or try a USB VCC to it.

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Oh please use caution, I'm not sure which way to proceed here either make my own interface based on Arduino just to buffer the input range and level translate as required or just do a USB HID.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Thanks for the info maybe that’s why they work so well

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Ok, so here's what I did , I used USB 5V Vcc and connected a 10k resistor on the VCC pin and put the middle pin to the Logitech Data pin , and then I saw the axis are jumping even if I don't do anything. though some magnetic field detection is happening but the axis are too twitchy , so at least I went one step further , now got to figure out why is the axis jumping when there is no magnetic field near it.

Voltage on the Hall sensor using USB power is showing around 4v so that's fine.

Edited by humptydumpty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Ok, so here's what I did , I used USB 5V Vcc and connected a 10k resistor on the VCC pin and put the middle pin to the Logitech Data pin , and then I saw the axis are jumping even if I don't do anything. though some magnetic field detection is happening but the axis are too twitchy , so at least I went one step further , now got to figure out why is the axis jumping when there is no magnetic field near it.

Voltage on the Hall sensor using USB power is showing around 4v so that's fine.

Because the device can not work correctly the way you've configured it from what I get here from your post.

The output pin is an emitter follower with a typical 65uA constant current source according the the spec sheet.

The output will typically be at 1/2 vdd with no magnetic field in proximity to it so about 2.5V

The middle pin is ground according to the MH481 spec sheet not output!

Connect vdd to pin 1 this can be in the case of MH481 between 3.5V and 6.5V so the 5V supply you have is fine for testing.

The middle pin goes to ground (o0V and pin 3 is the analogue output of the device, in this condition the voltage on pin 3 should be 2.5V and vary either up or down depending on the polarity of the magnetic field from 2.5V down to about 1V or 2.5V up to about 4V

You need to understand that the HALL effect device may not be a 100% drop in replacement for a potentiometer! At least not without some funky calibrations and some mechanical intervention.

See Spec Sheet Here

Because the device can not work correctly the way you've configured it from what I get here from your post.

The output pin is an emitter follower with a typical 65uA constant current source according the the spec sheet.

The output will typically be at 1/2 vdd with no magnetic field in proximity to it so about 2.5V

The middle pin is ground according to the MH481 spec sheet not output!

Connect vdd to pin 1 this can be in the case of MH481 between 3.5V and 6.5V so the 5V supply you have is fine for testing.

The middle pin goes to ground (o0V and pin 3 is the analogue output of the device, in this condition the voltage on pin 3 should be 2.5V and vary either up or down depending on the polarity of the magnetic field from 2.5V down to about 1V or 2.5V up to about 4V

You need to understand that the HALL effect device may not be a 100% drop in replacement for a potentiometer! At least not without some funky calibrations and some mechanical intervention.

See Spec Sheet Here

Hi Fragbum,

Thanks yes looks like the 3rd pin is the data output. And now when I check the voltage on the data it is 2.49 . The axis do seem to move with the magnets but that auto jumping is yet there.

Thanks for your help for the analogue output.

One more step ahead .

Yes I completely understand that's it might not be a 100% replacement but for the Logitech attack separate pots aren't available because these are very tiny and have askmed around but the don't seem have them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Yes and the voltage on pin 3 should vary with distance when you bring a magnet up to the device. ;)

Yes and the voltage on pin 3 should vary with distance when you bring a magnet up to the device. ;)

Yep it drops voltage when the magnet distance varies. But it still auto jumps without any magnets around it. I will need to check that.

I have the button type neodiums , if needed can extra the ones from the old hdds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Yep it drops voltage when the magnet distance varies. But it still auto jumps without any magnets around it. I will need to check that.

I have the button type neodiums , if needed can extra the ones from the old hdds.

Shouldn't need more Gauss??

Auto jumps, explain please. Are you using a DMM or the axis indicators in DCS?