F-16 A, B, C, MLU

Frank00

Nah, not that I noticed. For the most part we had little issues with the chaff/flare-system, apart from a few electrical issues that ment that the system dumped out 3-4 of each instead of singles, and we had one jet dump the entire box when a single flare was commanded. Don't think they ever found out if it was the flare-box or the countermeasures-system that was at fault, but the jet didn't have that issue when it came back from Phase.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

I forget, you guys only had the two buckets on the jet, the rest where on the pylons (MAU-12)?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Sadly, the PIDS-pylons didn't come into service until after I left, so we only had two buckets. The chaff-bucket on the right, flares on the left.

I'm glad the flares were on the left side, though, since it was my job to pull the chaff/flare-pin at launch. The thought of having a 3000c flare getting ejected a few inches away from my face is a ****ton worse than having a ball of chaff :P

Regards

Fjordmonkey

You guys pulled the pin at launch? For us it was done at End of Runway (EOR) by the weapons guys (like Bunyap Sims). To be honest, I never thought about them ejecting on the ground. The joy of beign 19 years old and ignorant I guess.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Yep, while on RS15, we pulled all the weapon-pins as well as the regular ones (Chaff/flare, undercarriage, EPU). When we deployed to Banak AFB for live-fire training, however, chaff/flare and weaponpins were all done EOR.

On a normal flight, however, the only stores on my side of the jet was the AMA and maybe a captive 120, which didn't have any pins to pull.

Edited by ShadowXP
edited for clarification.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

It's cool to hear how they did it in other air forces. I think is crazy seen guys walk between the front of the wing tanks the intake, that was a big no-no for us.

To whom it may concern,

You ever had new guys forget to duck below the exhaust? It was always funny seeing them get thrown down.

To whom it may concern,

You ever had new guys forget to duck below the exhaust? It was always funny seeing them get thrown down.

Nope, but I got a nice taste of jetblast from one of the jets. We had one apron that had a little crest to climb in order to get onto the taxiway. I was in the wrong place in the wrong time, and the pilot, one of the FNG's, went up above 90% RPM in order to get onto the taxiway. Needless to say, I got a nice jetblast-assisted flight. Landing left much to be desired, however :P

Regards

Fjordmonkey

I did that to someone in Decimomannu Air Base. We where doing a run, the run guy ask me is he was clear to run up, I did not see anything behind us, he run up the engine and a door one of the hangar behind us flew open and a saw a lot of papers fly around in that office and a lot piss up people.

To whom it may concern,

a6uWFB_qbWE

Every time this guys walk between the front of the wing tank the running engine intake make me cringe.

To whom it may concern,

Yeah, that would be grounds for an ass-chewing here.

Hell, the very fact that they've filmed the shelters would put your butt in the sling here. There were things in the shelter that you weren't allowed to film or photograph, and there would be hell to pay if you did.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Have you seen those crazy shelter where the door folded down? I was never in one of those

Qysvg9Iam5s

To whom it may concern,

This one is for you my friend

EmuhOVMNoyU

I forgot about the PW engine fuel bucket for when they shut down, I miss it so many times.

To whom it may concern,

Yep, those are fun. That shelter is a of a similar size but bigger than the older type we had. Our older ones were built for the F5, so while the Viper isn't really all that big, it was still a fairly snug fit.

Here's an image of the older type shelters with a Jaguar in it. Quite snug:

2507.jpg

The door in those weighs in at about 25-30 000lsb and is hydraulically lowered and raised. About a foot or so thick.

The newer type shelters are quite a bit larger, and can easily hold a Tornado with its wings spread. The door you see on the righthand side is a normal human-sized door, so that gives you a size-comparison. The door is still about a foot thick, but it weighs far more. It's also operated through wires and pulleys, and not hydraulic pistons like the old type.

4797.jpg

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Man that look cold, specially with an engine running, I bet the wind was bitterly cold. When it was cold like that I would try to wait on the left wheel well while the pilot did his checks.

To whom it may concern,

This one is for you my friend

EmuhOVMNoyU

I forgot about the PW engine fuel bucket for when they shut down, I miss it so many times.

Ah, sweet find :D

Regards

Fjordmonkey

To whom it may concern,

Man that look cold, specially with an engine running, I bet the wind was bitterly cold.

Bardufoss is lovingly referred to as the Devils' frozen asshole :P It's in the inland, in a dip in the terrain, so the temps can get down to rather low levels.

aar.eng.png

-30C in january. Brr...

At Bodø MAS we only had about -18 to deal with, but we also had high winds. I was glad that we had excellent coldweather-gear, facemasks and the same helmets that the US Navy-crews on carriers have, plus, of course, the best spaceheater there is: F100PW220e's :D

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Bardufoss is lovingly referred to as the Devils' frozen asshole :P

:lol::thumbup:

Awesome

To whom it may concern,

Have you seen this thread, it was the very first one I posted on this version of the forums. I can't remember how the old ones look like anymore.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=25616

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Unfortunate because of the angle of the camera is hard to tell which F-16 these are. They appear to be F-16C block 50 from 35 Fighter Wing (either 13­th or 14th Fighter Squadron). Note how some aircraft ACES seat will have the folding pitot tube and some don't.

To whom it may concern,

Unfortunate because of the angle of the camera is hard to tell which F-16 these are. They appear to be F-16C block 50 from 35 Fighter Wing (either 13­th or 14th Fighter Squadron). Note how some aircraft ACES seat will have the folding pitot tube and some don't.

Mostly 14th Fighter Squadron Block 50s

Mostly 14th Fighter Squadron Block 50s

FW normally pick the more suitable aircraft to deploy (lest prone to braking among other factors) so is more like a mix from both squadrons

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

This is interesting

According to F-16.net, Israel AF block 30, tail number 074 (88-1716) is in storage

Here we see it on a video tittle for 2019

-qCs97Zlbr4

Also note the location of the landing/taxi light on the Main Landing Gear (MLG) like unmodified block 32 and below.

The more I learn about the F-16, the more I realize how little I know.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

qtRI1zOWwcU

-- At 0:11 you can see the canopy close but if you look at the back of the canopy you see the actuator still moving. What is doing is rotating the canopy hooks ( I cant remember the proper name)

-- At 0:46 you can see a small section of the Flight control self check. Followed by part of the trim check at 0:56. At 1:01 the flight control check, the horizontal stab go up, down and then kick, roll left, roll right, rudder left and then right. Kick is when you check the Manual Pitch Override switch. You can also hear the engine nozzle moving on another engine on the background ( sec check or EPU check). The whistle sound come from 13th Stage engine bleed air going to the Convergent Exhaust Nozzle Control (CENC). This only happens on PW engines.

-- At 1:30 and at 4:40 you can see the pilot "warming up the flight controls"

--At 4:33, you can see the crew chief making sure the Emergency Power Unit (EPU) is not running. He is looking for hot gases form the EPU exhaust. Then he checks system A hydraulics (fluid level pressurize) There is a chart on the inside of the panel ( that is what he is looking at)

--At 4:50, you can see the Jet Fuel Starter (JFS) shutting down ( you can see the "puff" of smoke from the JFS)

--At 5:11, they are taking the ground safety pins and stowing them on the Left wheel well. There are 2 boxes to store the pins in the jet. There is a hole on the "bulkhead" so the guy on the right wheel well can pass on the safety pins

To whom it may concern,