Upcoming RDI Radar changes

Zeus67

In the specific case of the M-2000C the antenna azimuth movements are tied to the TDC. This is the reason why there is no independent buttons for antenna lateral movements.

Almost certainly it is different in other aircrafts, I don't remember but I think that the F-15E antenna movements are independent of TDC movement. Different philosophies for the same basic functionality. Same with the logic of automatic release mode selection based on bomb type vs. allowing the pilot to select the release mode independently.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F-15C/E AZ is tied to TDC, but the logic changes depending on the mode. For example in DTWS you can move the AZ about your contact, but there's no reset that I know of if you lose your PDT. In SAM you can move the scan zone completely off that target, the radar will revisit and mini-raster it automatically to maintain that track.

Resetting AZ to the TDC isn't the worst thing in the world, but I would expect it to be biased towards re-acquisition.

For example, if az is 'off the TDC' when the track is dropped, either have TDC return to where the track was, or don't move AZ until the TDC is back inside it. Returning the TDC to the dropped track location is, again, biased towards re-acquisition and IMHO preferable.

In the specific case of the M-2000C the antenna azimuth movements are tied to the TDC. This is the reason why there is no independent buttons for antenna lateral movements.

Almost certainly it is different in other aircrafts, I don't remember but I think that the F-15E antenna movements are independent of TDC movement. Different philosophies for the same basic functionality. Same with the logic of automatic release mode selection based on bomb type vs. allowing the pilot to select the release mode independently.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Zeus,

what about automatic lock in close combat mode and Magics slaving to radar lock? Can we expect these after the the elevation and azimuth implementation?

Thanks!

Yes.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

F-15C/E AZ is tied to TDC, but the logic changes depending on the mode. For example in DTWS you can move the AZ about your contact, but there's no reset that I know of if you lose your PDT. In SAM you can move the scan zone completely off that target, the radar will revisit and mini-raster it automatically to maintain that track.

Uh??

Not an Eagle fan here, no idea what's DTWS, SAM or PDT is this context. :huh:

Resetting AZ to the TDC isn't the worst thing in the world, but I would expect it to be biased towards re-acquisition.

For example, if az is 'off the TDC' when the track is dropped, either have TDC return to where the track was, or don't move AZ until the TDC is back inside it. Returning the TDC to the dropped track location is, again, biased towards re-acquisition and IMHO preferable.

Agreed with those observations.

Let's see if we can find how it works (RL) for this particular aircraft; if not, then "WAGuess" as Zeus puts it :D

spacer.png

Uh??

Not an Eagle fan here, no idea what's DTWS, SAM or PDT is this context. :huh:

'Designated TWS'

'Situational Awareness Mode' (And Two-target SAM as well)

'Primary Designated Target'

Agreed with those observations.

Let's see if we can find how it works (RL) for this particular aircraft; if not, then "WAGuess" as Zeus puts it :D

Information on the RDI is so incredibly thin it's not funny. This type of functionality is almost guaranteed to be a guess for a lot of things - may as well equip them with capabilities known from other radars, as long as it makes sense.

For example, you wouldn't equip NCTR on a radar if you don't know that it has that OR if it's older than a certain generation.

On the other hand, human factors stuff on a radar equipped with a fairly contemporary computer and HOTAS, your guess isn't going to be particularly wild :)

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hey Zeus sry to bother you but since I didn't see it mentioned in this post (Might have missed it kinda out of the loop)

How is the progress going with the radar slewing for Magic's?

Not yet worked on.

Okay. Finished working with the antenna steering.

I tested the "last known position" for when contact is lost and frankly I think it is disconcerting at least in elevation.

I was seeing the contact, but not the radar because the antenna was pointing elsewhere and the contact was outside the cone. So I decided to reset the antenna in elevation and set the TDC in azimuth to "last known position".

Edited by Zeus67
  • Like 1

Did some testing on the Radar this afternoon.

Fairly simple set up, trying to figure out at what range the RDI burns through jamming targets.

25.000 feet, 130NM out, closing in head on.

interestingly, the RDI cannot detect an F-15 that is jamming at all from the front.

anybody else tested this, since chances are i goofed somewhere.

That's strange, you can just leave the antenna pointing at the same angle and it should be ok. What was strange about it?

Okay. Finished working with the antenna steering.

I tested the "last known position" for when contact is lost and frankly I think it is disconcerting at least in elevation.

I was seeing the contact, but not the radar because the antenna was pointing elsewhere and the contact was outside the cone. So I decided to reset the antenna in elevation and set the TDC in azimuth to "last known position".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is waiting for you in the next update:

12802987_966915736728398_8250870291086981528_n.jpg?oh=56873bc326511d566be669a1ea878d87&oe=575CC44C&__gda__=1466222158_e9909134f9a723e4c409b2696ceb3a64

More images in the FB page.

Nice, what does it mean this new second line (maybe up and down of bowl of RDI or for this is scale on the left)?

FB of Razbam: https://www.facebook.com/RazbamSims .

12832488_966915996728372_4988826700369969438_n.jpg?oh=4282f8d2b327ae795f34a66f839879ed&oe=5792C0FA&__gda__=1465427432_e81bea3e72d1a98c5fa2e8f30efbf4cc

12799034_966916023395036_4271411805904809094_n.jpg?oh=375a96fa1926883985212887ef707021&oe=5756259E&__gda__=1469368358_7d9fa5730944030a833cbb04cc77d355

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Nice, what does it mean this new second line (maybe up and down of bowl of RDI or for this is scale on the left)?

FB of Razbam: https://www.facebook.com/RazbamSims .

The second line indicates that IFF interrogation is ON.

Okay folks some of the job done in the radar today:

• Fixed TDC axis.
  • Enabled antenna axis.
  • Fixed TDC bug making it immobile when a target is locked.
  • Updated TDC info (still WiP)
  • Switched IFF interrogation symbols
  • Fixed IFF "friendly" diamond position to center of V (as per new info)
  • Fixed STT altitude in meters. Now it is displayed in feet.

Niiiice... Man you work fast Zeus. Looking forward to the TDC axis.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog