Good entry level jet with a clickable cockpit?

ENERG1A

I've fallen in love with this game, I've bought FC3 and now i have decided to get more serious and want something with a clickable cockpit that doesn't have a 600 page manual like the A-10C, i've seen MagZTV's overview on the hawk and it looks like the ideal ac, easy startup and good handling etc.

Any reccomendations?

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by ENERG1A

The Hawk is a nice but do Take a look a the Mirage, hard not to love it.

The L-39 would also be a good choice for you.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I'd say the L-39, right now.

• Full Professional Flight Model right out of the box.
  • Full advanced systems modelling.
  • Not horribly complicated (it's based around a trainer design, after all)
  • Still has has a good selection of systems for learning
    • basic flight
    • aerobatically capable
    • full basic weapons selection: rockets, bombs, guns, and air-to-air missiles
    • radio navigation systems
    • a "kind of" faked low-accuracy inertial nav system (based on the radio RSBN and some "dead reckoning")
    • automated approach and landing systems like you'll see in the MiG-21

[*]Two versions of the aircraft with the same module: L-39C and L-39ZA

[*]It's the only module (right now) where more than one player can fly in at once.

[*]Logical Soviet/Czech/Eastern Bloc system and instrument design ;)

The possible drawback to the L-39C is that it's a trainer or a light attack aircraft. In my opinion it's great, and a very fun airframe, which is a good stepping stone to more complex combat airframes (especially the MiG-21) - but there's a possibility that you'll eventually outgrow it, and want to do things with your aircraft that it's not capable of doing.

It's unlikely that you'll eventually stand atop Virtual Red Flag as the premier virtual A2A combat pilot for the season, with an L-39ZA ;)

But if If you want a great entry level "clickable cockpit" jet to learn on, on your way to more complex and capable combat airframes, I'd say it's an excellent choice.

Edited by Vedexent
My error- apparently you CAN fly from the back seat in multi-player

You can fly from the rear seat currently in L-39. I have been the passenger in a front seat while backseater landed the plane. Personally I'm not a fan of L-39 as it flies and fights like a WW2 plane so it's not much use as a modern combat jet trainer. For just flying around it's good trainer though.

There's no reason to be afraid of complex systems on A-10 or any other plane. You can gradually learn more systems as you go. You are better of thinking what is your desired end goal ie. what kind of things you would like to do with the plane once you learn how to use it. Learning the systems of the plane is much smaller piece of the cake than learning to use the plane for general flying and for combat.

Hawk is still WIP and not a great plane to fly due to the simple flight model. As this gets fixed things will change but right now it's better to wait. M-2000 is also very simple plane to use but is also a fully fledged fighter with nice flight model (although still WIP but already much fun to use).

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

The L-39 is my recommendation. To add to Vedexent's summary, the ZA version is a good COIN plane too. It is better armed than the Hawk and as said, it has a high fidelity flight model right now instead of only the promise of a high fidelity flight model at some point in the future. The Mirage is also a simple aircraft and is of course much more capable. But that module is also very much a work in progress right now. It does have a high fidelity flight model though, so that's something (even if buggy).

I'd have to recommend the A-10C...

First, there is a 600 page manual...you don't have to use the manual unless you want to.

Second, there is a plethora of tutorial videos on the net.

Third, it is an easy aircraft to fly.

Finally...I believe it's on sale.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

The L-39 is my recommendation. To add to Vedexent's summary, the ZA version is a good COIN plane too. It is better armed than the Hawk and as said, it has a high fidelity flight model right now instead of only the promise of a high fidelity flight model at some point in the future. The Mirage is also a simple aircraft and is of course much more capable. But that module is also very much a work in progress right now. It does have a high fidelity flight model though, so that's something (even if buggy).

Everything the King has said there is true except for the last line. The Mirage is very far from "buggy". There are one or two quirks that RAZBAM are working to squash and a few more features that have yet to be enabled but the plane flies beautifully and is a beautiful model to boot. It is a very capable fighter, does a passable job as an air to ground platform, provides a good, stable vehicle for instrument work, and allows you to try your hand at air to air refueling. All in all a very nice little kite. :pilotfly:

Sierra99's comments are also true and especially the last line about the sale! However, beware! The Warthog is an extremely complicated machine to employ in it's intended role and without a good HOTAS, there is a fairly high workload as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I consider it buggy because it has fair number of unintended "quarks" such as the FBW logic being reversed for the rudder and an above average number of CTD's. RAZBAM is making excellent progress with it and I still recommend the aircraft as it is fun to fly. I also think the Mirage will be in much better shape in a couple of months. But the question is about things as they are today. And today the Mirage is fun and fairly simple, but also incomplete and buggy. It's still on my recommended module list, but no one should buy it without knowing before hand that it does have some issues.

The only time my Mirage crashes is when I've been damaged or run out of fuel.

Yes I have a little problem called " target fixation".

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I only recommend ED's official module as the entry flight. (BST's helicopter is good as ED's airplane)

With less bug and the performance is most realistic, most of them had released for over 3 years, it's really mature product.

The others... mostly in developing or beta progress, maybe bugs or something will break your experience...

Edited by Drag0nWIng

I would stay away from the Hawk. It's still early beta and no indication of when or if it will be finished. I would recommend the Mirage if you want to keep it simple as far as systems go, but you can't beat the A10C when it comes to depth. IMHO its still the best module offered by DCS. Yes the manual is huge, but you don't need to read the whole thing at once. Work on the aircraft as you would in the real world. Learn to fly it....Take offs, landings, navigation, basic flight maneuvers. Then start digging into the weapons systems and tactics. Small steps at a time.....using just the pertinent sections of the manual for what you are learning. It comes with basic lessons which are very helpful and provide a great foundation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I've fallen in love with this game, I've bought FC3 and now i have decided to get more serious and want something with a clickable cockpit that doesn't have a 600 page manual like the A-10C, i've seen MagZTV's overview on the hawk and it looks like the ideal ac, easy startup and good handling etc.

Any reccomendations?

I honestly think the best plane to pick is the one you are most interested in. Sure 600 page manuals can be daunting, but you only need to read about the parts that you want know about at the time. You don't need to know what every single button and switch does in order to get flying. :D BTW While the manual is good, there are plenty of youtube videos which is what helped me a lot. Especially when I wasn't familiar with all of the lingo.

All you need to know is where the flaps, landing gear and lights are. As well as what the HUD symbols means.

Just learn the few basics functions that allow you to fly, take off and land. Then look at the start procedure. Once you can do that, learn the parts you are interested in. All planes have relatively the same start up procedure, batteries > fuel pumps > apu > engines > AC power > electronics/nav. Sure some have a few more buttons but it's always essentially the same procedure.

I did it this way, but purely by accident. I bought the A-10C because I just love the aircraft. I had no idea there was so much involved. (And I never played a sim before that! I knew nothing about flying or planes, I just loved the A-10C). I just took it step by step. Learnt to fly, then how to fire the gun, then I learnt rockets, then I learnt the TGP, then bombs, then mavericks. I didn't take long. Despite the A-10C having a lot of systems, it's obvious the designers made it easy to do 2 things quickly and easily, fly and blow things up. :) After I was able to do all of the fun things, I then went back and learned how to make use of all of the other features that make it easier do the fun things. Again one thing at time. I actually learnt the start up procedure last, but I think would have been better to learn it sooner.

I would stay away from from the planes that are still in development. It won't do you any favors when you are learning.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode