Afterburner "knocking" sound? Why?

D4n

Yeah, why exactly does it always sound like sb. is punching the windshield/like the engines litterally "explode" ? o_O Doesn't sound "healthy" for the engines...

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

afterburner stages

I`m pretty sure that AB in real life feels like hammer. Engines are designed for this, as well as real pilots )

Edited by alieneye

YouTube || Copycats - technology and product clones (primarily aviation) || dgrigoriev.com
SPECS: i7 8700K (OK 5GHz), 2xGTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, 1Tb SSD, WIN 10, 2560x1440, Oculus Rift CV1 || TM Warthog, TIR5, MFG Crosswind pedals

But Afterburners in the russian jets don't "punch" ? Why not?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

The feature was recently added a few months ago, and I think the F-15C is the only one that has it so far. It's possible they will add it to more aircraft in the future.

Afterburners on Russian engines don't have zones - they're either off or on.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

afterburner stages

I`m pretty sure that AB in real life feels like hammer. Engines are designed for this, as well as real pilots )

Not really. As a matter of fact, in the F-15 not at all. In flight you don't know it's in burner until it accelerates like a bat out of hell.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

This question has intrigued me, and I am very inclined to agree with mr Seagle here. Mostly due to the fact of cockpit noise [flow of air over the canopy and whine of the engine it self] and the earplugs/helmet will make heaing the flame ignite pretty hard to hear.. I want to ask my cousin about this but truly I don't want to bug him if I can avoid it. Maybe next time I see him I will ask him about this. [ex former f15 driver]

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

The reason for the thump in the F-15 and not the Russian fighters could very well be for gameplay. After all, Russian fighters all have lights that illuminate when the burners are on, whereas in the F-15C all you have is the nozzle position gauges at the bottom of the instrument panel. The thump could be the substitute for the "seat of pants" feel you would otherwise experience, acting as an audio cue to provide a semblance of that sensation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Have you ever heard this bang in a real life? I mean, from an F-15C? I mean from a PW220 engine. It is not so typical. I have herd at once in lakenheathy, it was a big surprise too, but no any other C or D model produced similar before or after.

And of course the E model's PW229 engines which have a 11 stages AB ignition is also did not provide a bang.

This kind of sudden noise step up is typical for the MiG-21 family, where the nozzle is operated by the main hydraulic system and opened first before the ignition occured, to avoid the engine stall. Thats why the afterburner chamber fills a little bit dense mixture of fuel and started with a big bang. It is a trademark of all kind of MiG-21 engines, like the R-11, R-13 or the R-25.

Check these videos:

or

It is not a "bang" sound like in the DCS, it is a sudden sound increasion.

Same has the Su-22M4's and Su-24's AL-21F3 engines, where the AB has also a very hard noise level up.

The AL-31F family also sounds like these engines during the take off, but in flight, these kind of staged sound difference during the AB ignition is not typical.

The normal F-15C AB ignition sound is like this one:

Very powerful, but there is no any explosion-like big bang.

Thats why I think it is not ok in the current F-15 model.

Hmm i must be deaf cause i don't hear any explosion or big bang. I just hear something like a slight glounk (lol i know... How the hell to describe that sound in English?). Maybe it's the audio settings that causes it to hear like a big bang/explosion. Can you try that to see if the sound is more natural "that way"?

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Hmm i must be deaf cause i don't hear any explosion or big bang. I just hear something like a slight glounk (lol i know... How the hell to describe that sound in English?). Maybe it's the audio settings that causes it to hear like a big bang/explosion. Can you try that to see if the sound is more natural "that way"?

Same here. In my few Eagle flights so far I've never experienced a loud bang when engaging the burners. I'd describe it as more of a muffled thump as each stage activates. Possibly the loud banging sound the OP heard was due in part to audio settings..?

As an aside, from the great videos that Allesmor Obranna linked, it looks like ED got the Su-27 / AL-31F in-cockpit burner sound spot on: sort of a muffled crack.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I think they may be referring to the "bang" that you hear in external view... if you watch a replay track, you can hear a loud "bang" when the cans light up in external view.

In real life, you'll never hear a "bang" when the 220's or 229's light up (except during a compressor stall) because they are staged to light up gradually... but what you SHOULD hear is the distinctive P&W "queep" - the chirping of the CENC opening and closing the nozzles - in exterior view... which is (sadly) missing in DCS. That would be much more realistic than the current bang heard in exterior view (though you would only hear the nozzles chirp if you're within about 1/4 mile of the aircraft during takeoff or landing or during EOR checks.)

Edited by ggerman

Humm old thread.. But to answer your question.. It's not a bang they are hearing but rather a slightly audible thud in cockpit when engaging the afterburners.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.