Paratroopers?

StormBat

Is there a mod or will ED ever make paratroopers in this sim. It would be awesome to play some combined arms and see paratroopers dropping from the sky into an AO. Anyway I know it's not a priority or somewhere on the back burner even, But I always loved watching videos of Armed Assault and seeing like 15-20 paratroopers dropping from sky to change the very outcome of a fire fight in their favor. Anyway Love this Sim and love the community. Cheers.

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

I'm sure you could do it.

Build a new "weapon" like a rocket pod, but that's shaped like the inside of the C-130 bay. Mount it inside your new airplane.

Then the "ammo" is modeled like high drag bombs, but the .edm is a paratrooper with an animated chute that expands when it gets dropped.

Then "load" the C-130 (or whatever) with a centerline "paratrooper pod" with 40 soldiers in it, fly over the target, and hit the "weapon release" button...

--gos

• Like 1

However it would work I have no Idea, but it would be freaken awesome to see 40 paratroopers drop out of a C-130!

I'm sure you could do it.

Build a new "weapon" like a rocket pod, but that's shaped like the inside of the C-130 bay. Mount it inside your new airplane.

Then the "ammo" is modeled like high drag bombs, but the .edm is a paratrooper with an animated chute that expands when it gets dropped.

Then "load" the C-130 (or whatever) with a centerline "paratrooper pod" with 40 soldiers in it, fly over the target, and hit the "weapon release" button...

--gos

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

Yeah but... paratroopers aren't used tactically. Like, you'd never see them drop onto a battlefield, that's just not how they're used. Sure in ArmA people do it all the time because using the paratroop spawn flag is the fastest way to get into the fight, but in terms of real life it's completely unrealistic.

Paratroopers today are used basically to put forces anywhere in the world where there isn't an airfield. But they aren't used tactically like in WWII because their low flying slow aircraft would get annihilated by modern air defenses. Today it's a transport method rather than a weapon system.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 6 months later...

I still want this. Mucho.

Johnnyv2pto had a great idea here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1842223&postcount=194 tying it too the combat objectives and I have been absolutely begging for paratroopers for quite some time. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94320&highlight=paratroopers

Think about it - delivering supplies via drop or landing by trafficking between warehouse airfields or dropping paratroopers with hueys doing extraction etc.

MMMMMM.... maybe even a DCS level sim dropping angel flare shows and supplies...

smokeangel_usaf_big.jpg

-ntD8IDZoPE

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

It would add so much to this sim, and yes maybe they don't do this kind of thing in normal military ops, but black ops, special ops,secret ops whatever you want to call it, it does still go on. I would suspect it's more for lets say governments doing ops that would never be sanctioned or legal and\or for situations where they know they can do it and get away with it without to much difficulties where they would be exposed or shot down. cloak and dagger type missions where you get in and get out fast. But I know it`s not a priority and I still would love to see other things worked on like ATC and such. but man imagine seeing paratroopers in a mission in DCS, that would be the cats meow!

Yeah but... paratroopers aren't used tactically. Like, you'd never see them drop onto a battlefield, that's just not how they're used. Sure in ArmA people do it all the time because using the paratroop spawn flag is the fastest way to get into the fight, but in terms of real life it's completely unrealistic.

Well if they had em in game and than say in MP they deploy em on your base an than capture it, than deplete resources and take away a forward spawn in MP etc. 82'nd is notorious for those very exact missions.

Paratroopers today are used basically to put forces anywhere in the world where there isn't an airfield. But they aren't used tactically like in WWII because their low flying slow aircraft would get annihilated by modern air defenses. Today it's a transport method rather than a weapon system.

Not every drop has to be low though, that's why HALO ops exist.

There also hasn't been a full scale ground war since WWII, that might justify the risk of a near front line insertion.

Still would be nice to see in DCS though, give scope for a lot of operations with some helos, or even bigger military cargo planes.

From the DCS A10C Facebook page

attachment.php?attachmentid=149187&d=1475381791

[ATTACH]149187[/ATTACH]

The official one? Is this a new feature or a mod?

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yeah paratroppers + mi-8 + visual troops inside helicopter

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 3 years later...

A mod is used for this paradrop from a C130. The same mod exists for Mi-8. But it takes a hell of a modding to the core files, making it impractical to be deployed within a squadron. Plus, once the parachute hit the ground, this does not translate into infrantry moving around. It would probably requires some additional scripting.

In a nutshell, ED would make our life so much easier to add this to their code. It would also work well with their WWII theme.

As a former paratrooper I can tell you they are used tactically. Modern use in Afghanistan, Panama, Grenada, and even a planned mission in Iraq are testament to use of tactical assaults by airborne troops. The Division size assaults as seen in WWII may be fading but smaller tactical assaults (Battalion size and smaller) are still effective. Airfields seizures, assaulting objectives, and blocking positions are still viable missions. I know I've done it. AATW!

• Like 1

TI-84 graphics calculator (overclocked) 24 KB RAM

As a former paratrooper I can tell you they are used tactically. Modern use in Afghanistan, Panama, Grenada, and even a planned mission in Iraq are testament to use of tactical assaults by airborne troops. The Division size assaults as seen in WWII may be fading but smaller tactical assaults (Battalion size and smaller) are still effective. Airfields seizures, assaulting objectives, and blocking positions are still viable missions. I know I've done it. AATW!

i was gonna say the same. I had a CSM and a CWO4 in my unit while i was in 82nd years & years ago who both had mustard stains from panama & who were back with that same unit while i was there (3-4 ADAR)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

• 2 weeks later...
They don't have to drop directly onto the front line. They can drop nearby and walk to the front line, which is realistic.

Ummm , not really .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Paratroopers and a C-47 has planned to WW2 assets pack has planned by ED on 2020 and Beyond newsletter. That can be the "testbed" for that technology.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4168367&postcount=233

Work continues on the World War II assets pack, with the addition of several important air, ground, and naval units including:

Ju-88A-4 medium bomber

A-20 Boston medium bomber

C-47 transport

MK.VIII Centaur IV tank

Mk.IV Churchill VII tank

Elefant self-propelled artillery

Stug III tank destroyer

M10 tank destroyer

QF 3.7-inch AA gun

37 mm Gun M1

M45 Quadmount that can be used on different platforms

8.8 cm Flak 41 AAA

Flakscheinwerfer 37 and generator support unit

Schnellboot Type S-100 E-Boat

Type VII U-Boat

We are also looking at adding some exciting new features to the Asset pack, which include Torpedoes, Paratroopers and functional searchlights.

They don't have to drop directly onto the front line. They can drop nearby and walk to the front line, which is realistic.

Well they would probably walk to their "objectives" not the frontline. Modern Airborne Doctrine focuses heavily on airfield seizures (Rangers- Afghanistan) so follow on forces can come in a expand the airhead. Some missions place airborne forces into blocking positions (82nd-Afghanistan). However large scale airborne operations in Vietnam (173rd- The Herd) and Panama (82nd, Rangers) chose suitable drop zones near objectives. The key is to minimize losses on the initial drop and let them do their job fighting into their objectives, however assaulting onto an objective is still possible (Airfields being a great example). Paratroopers make great shock troops but the goal is to be relieved by heavier follow-on forces.

I can see amazing scenarios involving fighters/fighter bombers preparing the battlefield just prior to the arrival of transports dropping airborne forces on an airfield 30-50 miles or more behind enemy lines. Same goes for other objectives. Same principles can be modeled with large scale or even small scale helicopter air assaults.

Same goes for defending against an airborne assault. I look forward to the possibilities.

TI-84 graphics calculator (overclocked) 24 KB RAM