Add the Ability to Save and Load Mission Progress

SharpeXB

• 1 month later...
Bump. This option is really needed. Who, with little kids, has time to fly straight 2h mission? Sad that ED really doesn't care about this. Is there any other option (when DAWS is dead, as I understand)?

Is DAWS dead? Is there really not any way to repair it if it is? What happened to DAWS?

It is exactly because of there not being a save feature Mid Mission when many missions take 2 hours or so that I don't sit down and log into DCS or buy more aircraft or campaigns. Love realism. It's also realistic that we have lives and in a sim that requires hours at a time for deep missions etc we NEED this feature!

This suggestion makes a lot of sense to me and I would certainly use it. It should be possible to select the point in time from which you want to resume, ideally via a replay of the saved mission.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I really hope they are listening to us because this is a game changer for busy people... I really LOVE flying DCS but I dont have that much time... it gets discouraging...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Agreed. Is DAWS (the only version of this i've found when searching online) dead or broken? I heard it could at least let you save the game as a mission (where units are etc) mid flight.

SOMEONE has to be able to make something for us....right?

Agreed. Is DAWS (the only version of this i've found when searching online) dead or broken? I heard it could at least let you save the game as a mission (where units are etc) mid flight.

SOMEONE has to be able to make something for us....right?

Anyone know the answer to this? Is the program out there somewhere and working "good enough" to help with this issue?

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know the answer to this? Is the program out there somewhere and working "good enough" to help with this issue?

Bugger. Was just downloading and reading the instructions for DAWS to then notice the release dates.

It would be a great first step for a small campaign being able to save states after landing.

Hey ho, back to the single mission concept.

• 3 weeks later...

+1. I just spent five hours over the course of a weekend replying the same campaign mission over and over, repeating the first 30 minutes of start up and simple flying just to try a different approach to resolve the challenging situation that kept getting me killed. Turned the sense of victory into something of a grudge fight, me against the mission designer. This is supposed to be fun right? A save game feature would have done saved me hours of repetition. Please ED!

If it worked perfectly... what's the fun in that? :joystick:

Big +1 from me. I typically only play on my lunch break (45 minutes) and have a young child that makes playing for long periods of time very difficult. Really want to make progress on various campaigns but it's tough.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

• 1 month later...
+1. I just spent five hours over the course of a weekend replying the same campaign mission over and over, repeating the first 30 minutes of start up and simple flying just to try a different approach to resolve the challenging situation that kept getting me killed. Turned the sense of victory into something of a grudge fight, me against the mission designer. This is supposed to be fun right? A save game feature would have done saved me hours of repetition. Please ED!

This! Exactly and clearly this! Please, find some way to provide this service. Good god.

All the talk of a Dynamic Campaign. It won't get used because most people won't have time to do all the missions unless they can save progress.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

A word from the devs about this matter would be greatly appreciated......

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 2 weeks later...

how many of us have to wish such useful feature, to developers starts consider to think about it ?

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

• 1 month later...

Been flying since the Flanker days... since before my kids were born. Now they are both grown and moved out, I'm retired, and still wish for this time saving feature!

Wish for the ability to save a mission, then rejoin at a later date to continue...

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Been flying since the Flanker days... since before my kids were born. Now they are both grown and moved out, I'm retired, and still wish for this time saving feature!

Wish for the ability to save a mission, then rejoin at a later date to continue...

And I am watching my growing up and still no save game option :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Hi guys,

Surely someting I missed...

DAWS is intalled, it interface is visible in DCS, F10 menu is available, I can save a mission and a screen text confirmed it.

But... Said I start a mission (Mission1), fly to and other air base then save with DAWS (DAWS_Saved1). I quit to main screen and open DAWS_Saved1 mission but when I am in my plane I realise that DCS has opened Mission1.

My two DCS folder are protection free (by unselecting read-only in properties windows).

Any idea for solution?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Surely someting I missed...

DAWS is intalled, it interface is visible in DCS, F10 menu is available, I can save a mission and a screen text confirmed it.

Any idea for solution?

Thanks.

DAWS is a mod?

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Where is the info on DAWS?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 4 weeks later...

This really needs addressing. DCS is a very complex thing. Most of us are by no means fully competent fliers, and as such we tend to...die a lot :D

Having to then restart a mission that could be several hours long is awful. Means i tend to never finish a lot of stuff

• 3 weeks later...

Not being able to save progress is the main reason why I, and others I believe, are relunt to invest in buying new campaigns.

Being able to save in the middle would be great, or have some key points along the mission that would save.

For example you could repeat a more fun part without having to start over and over again and waste a lot of time.

Hope ED bring some light in this

Edited by vhsousa

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Strange indeed that they dont put more priority to solve this issue and give us a save option either 1) where we want or at least 2) at certain key points as vhsousa said...

You know, I am a professional musician and I have tought a lot of younger players and one of the KEY points of becoming a better instrumentalist (would be the same for high level athletes or... pilots...) is to convince one to practice over and over only the most important passages and NOT start the piece from scratch everytime one makes a mistake... the most basic notion of training...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

• 1 month later...

I just got a racing sim which features hour long races. But it also has the ability to save your progress! Amazing!

This is really just a crucial feature and IMO is what keeps flight sims as a niche game. It’s not the fact that they’re complicated or require joysticks. It’s the fact that the game can’t be played in reasonable sessions. There is no other game genre that lacks the ability to save your progress.

I don’t know why but these flight sims have a misplaced degree of realism, these are games after all. Nobody can be expected to play a game that doesn’t have saves. And it’s not a limitation of the engine. Clearly the engine has the ability to record entire mission tracks so it certainly has the ability to make a snapshot of your progress. There’s no rational reason why this feature cannot be included.

Currently I play DCS only once a week. On weekends. Is the average flight sim player retired or unemployed? ED! Expand your market into the segment of people who work for a living! They have money to spend on your stuff!

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I just got a racing sim which features hour long races. But it also has the ability to save your progress! Amazing!

This is really just a crucial feature and IMO is what keeps flight sims as a niche game. It’s not the fact that they’re complicated or require joysticks. It’s the fact that the game can’t be played in reasonable sessions. There is no other game genre that lacks the ability to save your progress.

I don’t know why but these flight sims have a misplaced degree of realism, these are games after all. Nobody can be expected to play a game that doesn’t have saves. And it’s not a limitation of the engine. Clearly the engine has the ability to record entire mission tracks so it certainly has the ability to make a snapshot of your progress. There’s no rational reason why this feature cannot be included.

Currently I play DCS only once a week. On weekends. Is the average flight sim player retired or unemployed? ED! Expand your market into the segment of people who work for a living! They have money to spend on your stuff!

Well said. I think that things will start to move to the right direction when RTS and dynamic campaign elements will be implemented in the sim.

Well said. I think that things will start to move to the right direction when RTS and dynamic campaign elements will be implemented in the sim.

Inter mission saves would better than nothing I suppose. But still a kick in testicles, when a multi hour mission crashes.

Nate