Help with new 2560 x 1440 monitor

Howdy!

I just bought and installed an ASUS Swift monitor. It is 2560x1440. (I am retiring my 1920x1080 monitor.)

Anyway, whenever I try to run DCS World now, the game displays as if it were too big for the screen. That is, the display cuts the game off at the bottom and at the right hand of the screen. I have tried changing the resolution in the game settings tab from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440, but the changes won't "take" because I cannot click "okay," because that button is off-screen! Has anyone else had this issue?

If it makes any difference, I run the game on Steam.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an ASUS Swift 1440p monitor as well but have had no issues with it in DCS. Thee are a few things I can think of that might be a factor.

1. Have you enabled G Sync in the nVidia drivers? It should only affect refresh rate but it needs enabled regardless.

2. Try resetting your windows desktop to 1440p. (Your icons will get smaller as they are displayed by pixel size. That can be fixed by choosing medium or large icons. The same effect occurs in many games as well.) Some games, mostly when run in windowed mode, use the desktop setting for the GUI. I don't know if that's the case for DCS but having your desktop resolution the same as your GUI avoids problems.

3. Have you enabled DSR? I don't think this will cause this problem but you might find it useful. Google "nvidia dsr" to learn about it and how to enable it. I refuse to install GeForce Experience on my machine but it still works by creating a game specific profile in the nVidia Control Panel.

That's about all I can think of right now. I hope one of the ideas leads to a resolution. Good luck.

Also, check your monitor.lua file. Maybe you set the GUI viewport in the past?

See this post for more info on where the lua files are: : http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2616874&postcount=799

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Trying to understand display allocation logic

Also, check your monitor.lua file. Maybe you set the GUI viewport in the past?

See this post for more info on where the lua files are: : http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2616874&postcount=799

Hi hansangb, that's a great post. However, I still struggle to understand the mechanisms driving this. I would like to be able to allocate space on my secondary (right hand) monitor for displaying e.g. the TAD and the CDU. And I'd like to be able to do similar things with other types of aircraft, e.g. display the F-15C radar screen.

Your file refers to outputs like RIGHT_MFCD. I have searched, in vain, through all the .lua files I could locate to find where that output name is defined. Can you give me a clue?

Hans-Werner

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hey LennysCopilot!

I had the same problem with my new monitor...What I did was...open up the options.lua in yournamehere/savedgames/DCS/config and look for the {graphics} section and find and replace the old monitor rez with the new. Simple. :) Good luck.

Hey LennysCopilot!

I had the same problem with my new monitor...What I did was...open up the options.lua in yournamehere/savedgames/DCS/config and look for the {graphics} section and find and replace the old monitor rez with the new. Simple. :) Good luck.

Howdy, Mugue! Always good to hear from you.

Thanks for the suggestion about the options.lua file. It sounds like the config.ini file in good ole Il-2 Sturmovik 1946.

I actually solved my problem in a bizarre fashion. I had already changed my resolution to 2560x1440 in Windows Control Panel. I went back into control panel and set it for 1080x1920 (portrait). Everything was on its side. So, with my head tilted to the left, I ran DCS World. The game loaded sideways. I exited the game. I went into Control Panel again and reset my resolution to 2560x1440 (landscape). I ran DCS again, and the game loaded in the resolution I wanted -- 2560x1440. Problem solved!

Not sure what I did, but it worked!

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi hansangb, that's a great post. However, I still struggle to understand the mechanisms driving this. I would like to be able to allocate space on my secondary (right hand) monitor for displaying e.g. the TAD and the CDU. And I'd like to be able to do similar things with other types of aircraft, e.g. display the F-15C radar screen.

Your file refers to outputs like RIGHT_MFCD. I have searched, in vain, through all the .lua files I could locate to find where that output name is defined. Can you give me a clue?

Hans-Werner

It used to work. In the A10 thread, there is one for exporting all parts of the cockpit. But it seems lot of the syntax has changed. Helios is one option, but later on, I plan on playing around with the export settings so we'll see.

I'd do it sooner, but I'm too busy looking at CNC machines to help me build out my switch boxes. :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1