P-51 snap roll

Pelican

I'm sure many of you have noticed that as the P-51 approaches its stall speed it rolls over rapidly (snap roll).

Going on a hunch here....does the engine torque cause this effect as rudder authority is limited due to low airspeed?

:huh:

------------------Pelican------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A snap roll is actually caused by a wing stalling before the other one does. I do believe though, that torque from the engine makes it easier to roll one way (to the left IIRC).

I also think the effect is noticeable at higher speeds, where your snap roll will be faster to the left than it will be to the right (again, IIRC).

A snap roll is actually caused by a wing stalling before the other one does. I do believe though, that torque from the engine makes it easier to roll one way (to the left IIRC).

I also think the effect is noticeable at higher speeds, where your snap roll will be faster to the left than it will be to the right (again, IIRC).

Thanks...that makes a lot more sense now :)

------------------Pelican------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

By my uneducated understanding of physics, the wing on the lower side will snap first because of the center of gravity pulling slightly to the lower side as that wing dips closer to Earth.

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

I believe pulling the stick back hard and inducing rudder causing a snap roll was a manoeuvre used by some P-51 Pilots during WW2 to get out of trouble.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I'm sure many of you have noticed that as the P-51 approaches its stall speed it rolls over rapidly (snap roll).

Going on a hunch here....does the engine torque cause this effect as rudder authority is limited due to low airspeed?

I haven't notice as I don't let P-51 to go so low speed first :D, but engine stalls makes aircraft to drop a wing, and yes that's because engine torque. Try stalling with idle engine, you'll see how mild stalls are. That two points are stated in P-51 handbooks.

Also, snap roll is an aerobatic manoeuvre and has nothing to do with engine stalls. A snap roll is a prohibited aerobatic manoeuvre for P-51 (but you can try in DCS as you don't pay the bills :smartass:) where you stall aircraft intentionally while in flight by suddenly pulling full stick back while kicking one pedal at the very same time, one wing stalls violently so a real "snap roll" is produced. Stopping roll at the time you desire (say fully horizontal again) is a really hard to master thing aerobatic pilots has to work. You have to fly at the right speed or it won't work at all even pulling/kicking controls.

Here, first manoeuvre, 0:12, that's a snap roll,

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I read somewhere that the tail fin added to later models of the p51, designed to overcome some yaw instability problems, also made snap-rolls a lot more difficult to execute.

Anyway, due to it's considerable inertia, a snap-roll in the p51 will certainly necver look like that one in the Extra 300 - one of the only reasons I really liked to play Aerofly FS :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

watch here: [ame]

[/ame]

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

Yep, I've use it many times in the old Il-2 years. Some times it can save you, but also you kill your energy completely so it's an absolute last resource manoeuvre. In DCS with a highly detailed FM as we have and how energy management works I don't think is any good in combat.

In my squad we called it "the drunken monkey" :lol:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice