DCS is moving Forward..Controls menu in the Dark ages.

Hi all ! I just did a Clean Install of win 10. So I got all my DCS modules back again.

Controls Menu : ALL my Devices are BOUND to the SAME Axis !... So TM, Saitek Pedals.Throttle Quad etc all do the Same thing ?

OK, no drama, go and Clear Category(scrolling left and right up and down to start again) !

Then I start to program my Axis, Curves and assignments. Done That ?

Fantastic !

Now for my next Module ! Do it all again ? Remove the Axis that "Someone" has decided to Bind for me !

And to add to the Chaos, keystrokes for the Same function vary from one module to the next.

Is to much to ask that COMMON Flight commands "Pitch",Roll".Rudder, Trim Nose.canopy ,gear etc could All be be set In an DCS Controls menu.

Ive got 8 Modules to go. And Then FC3.

Ed, this would have to be the most Un-user friendly GUI (INMHO).

~S~

R7 7800X3d,64g 6000 Ram,4090, Pimax Crystal. 

DCS is moving Forward..Controls menu in the Dark ages.

Hi all ! I just did a Clean Install of win 10. So I got all my DCS modules back again.

Controls Menu : ALL my Devices are BOUND to the SAME Axis !... So TM, Saitek Pedals.Throttle Quad etc all do the Same thing ?

OK, no drama, go and Clear Category(scrolling left and right up and down to start again) !

Then I start to program my Axis, Curves and assignments. Done That ?

Fantastic !

Now for my next Module ! Do it all again ? Remove the Axis that "Someone" has decided to Bind for me !

And to add to the Chaos, keystrokes for the Same function vary from one module to the next.

Is to much to ask that COMMON Flight commands "Pitch",Roll".Rudder, Trim Nose.canopy ,gear etc could All be be set In an DCS Controls menu.

Ive got 8 Modules to go. And Then FC3.

Ed, this would have to be the most Un-user friendly GUI (INMHO).

~S~

• ED Team

Did you not backup your controls and import them?

You are right, it is a lot to setup, and some aircraft defaults are different between the various aircraft. I am not a fan either of having DCS create defaults in each column, I would always clear them when starting a newly installed module, but I do find the GUI easier than some others out there.

One good reason that I haven't downloaded 2.0 again. I really don't want to bind controls for a week.

just import them from 1.5.3 or copy the input folder over

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

You are right, it is a lot to setup, and some aircraft defaults are different between the various aircraft. I am not a fan either of having DCS create defaults in each column, I would always clear them when starting a newly installed module, but I do find the GUI easier than some others out there.

Hi bigNewy... I said Clean Install. I did backups on Win 7. I'm not using them. That's not the point. My OP is about the terrible Options/Controls menu in DCS. ...Axis duplicated and similar controls Separated for each and every module.

I think it needs looking at by ed. ~S~

...My OP is about the terrible Options/Controls menu in DCS. ...Axis duplicated and similar controls Separated for each and every module. I think it needs looking at by ed. ~S~

Yes as it should be.

Every module handles differently so I want to be able to setup my curves on

one by one basis.

I absolutely do not want one generic setup.

Hmm no , compared to other flight sims DCS has the best control setup UI i've ever seen

Agreed

• ED Team
Hi bigNewy... I said Clean Install. I did backups on Win 7. I'm not using them. That's not the point. My OP is about the terrible Options/Controls menu in DCS. ...Axis duplicated and similar controls Separated for each and every module.

If I do a clean install I always backup my saved games folder on a USB stick, then I can import my inputs is what I meant.

Each aircraft is different in many ways, having separate controls for each aircraft is essential especially for cockpit builders.

How would you accommodate the pit builders?

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I feel that the current control menu works way better and easier than other sims. But it would be nice if settings could also be stored with our online profile. That way we can aways have access to our mappings.

Remember, in a couple of years, we might have 20+ modules that has to be mapped...

Edited by Schmidtfire

Try mapping the landing gear from the Mig-21 and the A-10C the same way and you will find that you can't do it. They don't work the same.

How do you want ED to sort that out?

That does not even consider the issue with curves for the pitch and roll axis which most people have set differently for each aircraft.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

i also did a clean install of w10 and reinstall everything from DCS 1.5/2.0 and PREP3D V3

It was not a problem to me since i keep my conf/input file and copy paste it to the new installers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I too like the way that the GUI control interface is laid out. Agree would be nice to not have to scroll to see all devices, but certainly not a deal breaker. For me when I initially go through the controller setup process I use that experience to also get aquatinted with the planes cockpit and controller locations.

Once the controls are established if you take the time to save each device profile you will never have to go through each individual control mapping again.

I made a video to keep on file for my squad maybe this will help.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't watch the whole video but I think this should be linked in the manual for DCS World. This is poorly documented at best and it is one of the most important things for long term users to understand.

rep inbound

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If I do a clean install I always backup my saved games folder on a USB stick, then I can import my inputs is what I meant.

Each aircraft is different in many ways, having separate controls for each aircraft is essential especially for cockpit builders.

How would you accommodate the pit builders?

BigNewy ! my win 7 had a virus. So I wanted a Clean Install.. I wasn't Risking any File (especially on a USB Drive.

I know that each and every aircraft Is different. I got that.

But why should all my controls come "Pre-Bound" to multiple Axis for the same function !

Why do I have to Program Different Keystrokes for the Exact same function. I would think that "canopy open/close" would be the same keystroke in every module. Its not.... And that is just one example of many ..Why cant I program "open/close canopy" for ALL my DCS modules ?

Before any of the rest of the 10 year "Hardcore" chime in with their "I can do it in five minutes", I have been flying Lockon /Dcs since Flanker..I have always found the DCS controls menu a pain.

I don't know how this affect cockpit Builders ?

All I am suggesting is that When I open my DCS controls for the First time, I can start with a Clean Slate. I can Bind my Pitch,rudders etc and SAVE them for ALL modules. I can THEN go to EACH module and "SAVE AS" P51d for example. Then I can save all" Save as" for keystrokes...

Again I say I think the Controls menu is dysfunctional especially for newcomers.

Also as someone else mentioned.. Scrolling left and right to make sure you haven't missed an Axis that DCS has decided to bind for you.

I am sticking with my Opinion. DCS is moving Forward but the Options/controls menu is back in the Eighties.

~S~ to all.

Try mapping the landing gear from the Mig-21 and the A-10C the same way and you will find that you can't do it. They don't work the same.

How do you want ED to sort that out?

That does not even consider the issue with curves for the pitch and roll axis which most people have set differently for each aircraft.

Whats this supposed Prove ? I didn't say I want a GENERIC Gear/Up down for every module.

GO check "Trim Nose UP/down" for every module.

Why get so Defensive ?

DCS have by far a much improved controller settings compared with any other sim/game on the market. It suites best for multicontrollers options as 75% of us here are using. I would say it is a matter of acceptance for something different.

If there is something comng from "dark ages", well... this is the scale to screenn capabilities for the UI which remain freezed to LockOn era. Otherwise... best in class.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

I agree with McBlemmen......compared to some other flight sims.....the DCS approach makes the most sense. Once you set up an aircraft....back up the file. I back up all my DCS stuff to the Google Drive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I think one of my biggest complaints is there is no naming convention. I'm recalling from memory here, but one of the things that highlights is the command to deploy airbrakes. IIRC It's listed from module to module as... Extend Airbrakes, Speedbrakes, Deploy Airbrakes, Airbrakes, etc, etc. So do I look under E, S D, A?

I think just having a common way of organising or naming major components would help. The categories help certainly, but then for example (again from memory) with the M2000 the command to change the range on the radar is in the Stick category, which makes sense as that is where the button is, but surely it should be in the sensor category too? That relies on the user knowing that that button is located on the stick. Now that can be found out with a bit of reading, but the point it to make things easier, rather then throwing road-blocks up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BIGNEWY, in the past, people have warned against just copying the control files over to the new build. Is this no longer a problem then with the new .diff file format? Does copying the input folder over allow you to skip all the clearing and importing business? I have 14 planes and adjusting controls for every build is a bit of a pain.

It would be nice to have a utility that would handle the clear and import automatically.

Thanks!

• ED Team

You are correct, some have had issues with copying controls over and it is recommended not to, especially if you are coming from an earlier version of DCS.

I use the save profile to backup my controls and import them if I do a fresh install.

I have copied folders over between the 7 installs I currently have for testing without any issue so far.

I think one of my biggest complaints is there is no naming convention. I'm recalling from memory here, but one of the things that highlights is the command to deploy airbrakes. IIRC It's listed from module to module as... Extend Airbrakes, Speedbrakes, Deploy Airbrakes, Airbrakes, etc, etc. So do I look under E, S D, A?

I fully agree with you and I'm glad we have the possibility now to search for all occurrences of "brake"... A very useful feature.

Search.png.7d1ff19f0e8a831d967751e44cd7bece.png

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

ED still needs to set and enforce a standard for control schemes. Right now we have a pretty significant mess in this regard.