Bf 109 K-4 skins contest

Racoon

@rel4y

"I cant help but notice, these Bertha - Emil skins while surely well done just look completely out of place on a Kurfürst!" :gun_sniper:

So, do not use it! Notice, no one forces you to do it! Great purist!

But hey, I grant you, a little off topic! :surrender:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
Hi Racoon! When can we expect to know the results of the contest? Or will the community members vote? Thanks!

Now we are checking them by ourselves. Many skins look very good from high distance, but they should be updated in small details to become applicable for DCS.

Hey guys, I’m glad about this contest and as I see many new and very nice skins for K4 have been posted here, really good job.. but there is one little detail that is I must say is kind of avoided or neglected. You probably guess its swastika symbol. Personally, I really got no slightest sympathy for Nazi regime and swastika symbol itself and its real life 'importance'. Its copyrights have never been transferred from Indian culture to the XX. century Germany so actually there is no originality of German swastika at first place, nevertheless, that symbol was part of historian contest and reflection of trend at certain time point in past and since DCS is actually virtual simulator encapsulating high fidelity and realism there is concern that this 'high fidelity' is kind of degraded due to perpetrated avoiding of this symbol from being used on skin replicas of WW2 German fighter planes in DCS. I don’t know is this case due to game rating but if we take a look at other 'virtual' entertainment products like movies (Inglorious Bastards, even Star Trek had Nazis with swastikas), National Geographic documentaries or even some early games (Duke Nuke’m) this symbol have had minor or no impact on real life of average gamer or user because everybody knows its virtual and not real at all. So, my opinion is, regarding of any political or ideological impact, that this 'forbidden' symbol should be used in case of replicating high-fidelity skins made for WW2 German planes in contest of reality of time we want to go back to. I say, my intention is not to hurt anyone's feelings but it's been quite long since this symbol was identification of real life movement and correlating with 'neglecting' logic we could go back or forth in time even more and forbid many more symbols used in negative connotation but if we want to replicate details and accurate timely environment we should be as much genuine and with as much high fidelity as we can. What is your opinion on this question?

Hey guys, I’m glad about this contest and as I see many new and very nice skins for K4 have been posted here, really good job.. but there is one little detail that is I must say is kind of avoided or neglected. You probably guess its swastika symbol. Personally, I really got no slightest sympathy for Nazi regime and swastika symbol itself and its real life 'importance'. Its copyrights have never been transferred from Indian culture to the XX. century Germany so actually there is no originality of German swastika at first place, nevertheless, that symbol was part of historian contest and reflection of trend at certain time point in past and since DCS is actually virtual simulator encapsulating high fidelity and realism there is concern that this 'high fidelity' is kind of degraded due to perpetrated avoiding of this symbol from being used on skin replicas of WW2 German fighter planes in DCS. I don’t know is this case due to game rating but if we take a look at other 'virtual' entertainment products like movies (Inglorious Bastards, even Star Trek had Nazis with swastikas), National Geographic documentaries or even some early games (Duke Nuke’m) this symbol have had minor or no impact on real life of average gamer or user because everybody knows its virtual and not real at all. So, my opinion is, regarding of any political or ideological impact, that this 'forbidden' symbol should be used in case of replicating high-fidelity skins made for WW2 German planes in contest of reality of time we want to go back to. I say, my intention is not to hurt anyone's feelings but it's been quite long since this symbol was identification of real life movement and correlating with 'neglecting' logic we could go back or forth in time even more and forbid many more symbols used in negative connotation but if we want to replicate details and accurate timely environment we should be as much genuine and with as much high fidelity as we can. What is your opinion on this question?

I agree that we are simulating historical fights here, so if we are striving for accuracy in terms of FM and modeling, why shouldn't we do so when making skins? (I doubt anyone flies the DCS 109 so that he can pretend to be a nazi...) That's why my skins come in 2 versions: with and without swastika.

This being said even such a use of swastika is illegal in some countries, and the devs also set this rule at the beginning. It's their contest, they make the rules ;)

My opinion would be that this is a bit of a loaded question. I understand and appreciate your point of view, but I also understand reasons for not including it. I am mostly neutral and do not find it's omission an important issue.

And, I more or less always prefer flying Axis birds more than Allies ones, but, personally, I wouldn't want the planes I fly to sport a swastika. Unless they are Finnish, that swastika signifies a certain group, period, and policies that I neither sympathize, nor support, and wouldn't want to be identified with while flying those aircraft.

We will go back and forth in time as long as humanity repeating it's mistakes. But there are other reasons that are causes for that to happen, which are more significant.

That's my take on it anyways. Also, most of the times, a "historically correct" option as well as a "sterilized" one is provided with skins lately. Especially asking for inclusion of swastika for a competition would ring badly on ears I would guess.

Edit : like reflected said above, providing both versions : ideal way in my opinion.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I won't make liveries without the historical correct symbols. Should we ban the cross as well because I think the crusaders were offending?

Governments can say and put up laws all they want but this doesn't mean every man can think for himself. What is offending for one doesn't mean it's offending for thousands of others. Context plays a very big role here. We play a simulation and we try to simulate an authentic world with airplanes of all sorts and nations, time frames etc. With includes planes from the luftwaffe.

In the end I just think people should think for themselves and decide whether they want a livery or not. No harm done. But I think any form of government censorship is bad.

ED decided to hold a contest for liveries without the swastika. I respect their choice but I disagree.

g8PjVMw.png

I won't make liveries without the historical correct symbols. Should we ban the cross as well because I think the crusaders were offending?

Governments can say and put up laws all they want but this doesn't mean every man can think for himself. What is offending for one doesn't mean it's offending for thousands of others. Context plays a very big role here. We play a simulation and we try to simulate an authentic world with airplanes of all sorts and nations, time frames etc. With includes planes from the luftwaffe.

In the end I just think people should think for themselves and decide whether they want a livery or not. No harm done. But I think any form of government censorship is bad.

ED decided to hold a contest for liveries without the swastika. I respect their choice but I disagree.

While I agree with you, the problem is that some nations passed laws against showing the symbol so ED is obliged to follow

Deleting the swastika is just an edit to the description.lua. Not a big deal really.

{"Bf-109K-4_KIL_CROSS", DECAL ,"bf-109k-4_cross",true};

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

With one additional day the first stage of the contest is closed. We are very appreciated to all participants.

Jponti, Nascar and Uthaesdis please upload your skins (not only screens) to user files section on this site.

My skins are in the user files under other. I believe I uploaded them before the site had an option for the K4.

Author Nascar88

skins: K4 Hellhound

K4 HellhoundV2

Note: these skins have been up a while and have the swastika enabled. If need be I can just edit it out in the description.lua. and reupload.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

:music_whistling:so what about the contest result ? will there be a pool to everyone, or a special jury like in "the voice" with a bumper ? :megalol:

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

It's more like a personal popularity contest !!! As I understand it, the creator of his skin (+ friends) attributes Note 5 and assigns a 1 to the other competitors. I do not see the interest of this method. I'm quite disappointed!:suspect:

Edited by KIZIR_77

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't be desapointed : it was a nice challenge,

and so far we have a newly nice collection of 109 skins in this thread available for everyone loving the 109. So this contest was fun to do, and fun for the communauty benefits.

I hope ther will be others like that.

We helped each other, for advices, web links and so on, and that was the part I really enjoyed in that contest. discover most talent guys heres, some known for a long time, some unknow, some first skinning.

anyway, and curiously, if we make a pool, you'll see a lot of people don't care about historical accurency or detailled skin quality, they'll vote for the most "shinning" : the one with the star on the nose for sure, or the one with bigger bort numbers and nose art.

Maybe Only ED dev and team, + maybe official tester team should vote on wich one(s) could win the contest and became an official skin(s) ?

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

OK I can anderstand your mind.

but good skin will always be downloadable and I've ever downloaded yours as I really like them all. And for sure final choice will be ED's. so don't worry.

maybe there will be a ED's winner ( skin up to standard attented + other specs ,historical or anything else)

+ a special winner from the communauty votes?

both way, both winners ,should be the right way, :thumbup:

....but everything is subject to change + two weeks more :megalol:.

EDIT : Just finish to try a "fair" vote. when you finish it (not easy to do) you see the actual result. ...and now, for sure I'm very disapointed too. for sure it's not very objectiv. some skin definitely can't be 1. Reflected it seems seemly fair for your work so far. White 6 of JG4 is so unfair ! it should be 6/5 ! how can someone put 1 on such a perfect work ? JST/mainstay you'll stay my master in skinning for a long time.

Edited by snowsniper