Buccaneer by the BANA Project

Still here guys :)

We've all been extremely busy with real life the past few months so progress has been grindingly slow. The SFM is pretty much complete for all normal flight parameters and the spec document has been updated in line with continued research.

We are only a very small team and so don't have the resources or knowledge of other projects (like the hugely impressive A-4) but this is definitely a labour of love and we'll keep going until we've got something for you guys to play with.

Any assistance that can be provided in terms of lua coding or modelling is very much appreciated :) PM's always open!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"The only replacement for a Buccaneer is a Buccaneer".

We are only a very small team and so don't have the resources or knowledge of other projects (like the hugely impressive A-4)

Appreciate the compliment, but we basically started from zero ourselves. (Though there were a number of kind folks for us to bounce questions off of) Please stick with it and I'm sure you'll catch up.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM.

--gos

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Might as well do a "short" post on this project, in addition to the Tu-22M3...

I'm not sure how I got involved in this project, but it doesn't matter, I'm as devoted to the Buccaneer as the Tu-22M3. The Backfire takes precedence, but I'm basically doing the same work for both at the same time. Both:

- have similar missions, ground and naval strike

- have analog cockpits, aiding understanding and implementation of systems. Systems themselves have similarities, which have sped up my understanding of some Tu-22M3 systems

- use a Matlab/Simulink driven AFM

- have some unusual aerodynamics that need modeling

- introduce realistic air to ground radar simulations

- are multi-crew

- We're documenting and organizing work similarly

Basically, all the dirty work is similar, and although numbers are different, a lot of the programming structure which we are doing now is practically identical.

The Buccaneer AFM is presently in the lead, because BAe has been kind enough to share really good flight test data, with some stipulations about protecting that data and the project being non-profit.

Tom is super sharp, I basically suggest a few things, and he's off and running with Matlab and Simulink, doing all the "sexy" flight modelling while I do the low level C++ integration to make the AFM come together. I also don't lift a finger with 3D modeling; that's Tom's problem on the Buccaneer to figure out, and the Dynamic Duo (Oleg and Dimitri) on the Backfire.

There is a headache coming in that to do this airplane correctly, we're going to need a license from ED, but BAe at present stipulates that we be non-profit. Hopefully Tom finds some way to make things work out.

So there, I've spilled the beans, and left Tom to clean up. Sorry Tom!

Whether you're primarily interested in the Buccaneer or the Backfire, you really should take a look at the other. In their roles, they are both exemplars, above their peers from other nations. The Backfire is a really capable big stick, but the Buccaneer will run interceptors out of fuel at 100 ft AGL, comfortably riding the air with it's insanely high wing-loading and near Mach sustained speed. The came over for Red Flag one year and flew so low, so fast, 100 ft, vs 300 ft floor for us Americans, they impressed us.

• Like 1

There is a headache coming in that to do this airplane correctly, we're going to need a license from ED, but BAe at present stipulates that we be non-profit. Hopefully Tom finds some way to make things work out.

So there, I've spilled the beans, and left Tom to clean up. Sorry Tom!

If ED were willing to negotiate a license with BAe, you could make it work without it needing to be non profit. That's probably why they stipulate it being non-profit, because otherwise they would be required to charge for a license to use their IP.

Maybe you'll get lucky and ED will both give you a license and allow you to put this out for free?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If ED were willing to negotiate a license with BAe, you could make it work without it needing to be non profit. That's probably why they stipulate it being non-profit, because otherwise they would be required to charge for a license to use their IP.

Maybe you'll get lucky and ED will both give you a license and allow you to put this out for free?

This makes me feel less hopeful. I have my doubts that ED will negotiate with BAE for something that is free. That seems very....non-corporate. I hope to be wrong, but its not often licensing rights are given away for free.

Buccaneer by the BANA Project

This makes me feel less hopeful. I have my doubts that ED will negotiate with BAE for something that is free. That seems very....non-corporate. I hope to be wrong, but its not often licensing rights are given away for free.

As awesome as that would be, if they give rights away on a commercial basis to one entity, it undermines and outright pisses off the other business partners that paid money for the same rights. It would be like someone suddenly getting a free copy of DCS A-10 from ED while everybody pays full price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonprofit does not mean no revenue. It does mean that this probably won't be a free mod. All you have to do is become a registered charity. You pay ED and any other contractors what they need for their services and give the rest to charity. Everyone gets good publicity including BAE and they are satisfied.

AOG

• 1 month later...
Nonprofit does not mean no revenue. It does mean that this probably won't be a free mod. All you have to do is become a registered charity. You pay ED and any other contractors what they need for their services and give the rest to charity. Everyone gets good publicity including BAE and they are satisfied.

AOG

I find this scenario quite unlikely; in my two decades of gaming I have never heard this occur which I suspect are due to legal reasons. My father runs a car club as a registered charity and it's a lot of paperwork.

Also, the Pandora's box that is paid mods may put a lot of people off.

I find this scenario quite unlikely; in my two decades of gaming I have never heard this occur which I suspect are due to legal reasons. My father runs a car club as a registered charity and it's a lot of paperwork.

Also, the Pandora's box that is paid mods may put a lot of people off.

I can't speak to the complexity of becoming a charity. It's not that hard here in the states but that would very by your location. The point I was trying to make was that this could become a full module with access to the SDK and still be nonprofit. Revenue beyond the expense of makeing and maintaining the module goes to charity. That way the creators get reimbursed for their time and costs. ED gets paid, BAE is happy and we get the Buccaneer we want.

AOG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Buccaneer 24 SQN South African Airforce -- last airdisplay 1991

The last airdisplay by the South African Airforce before retiring the Bucs.

Whats the language spoken there? Its Afrikaans.. The SA-version of Dutch Africa. Some of the buccaneer (pilots)aircrew are on Facebook a few of them at retirement age.

Video synopis;

* SA Airforce Bucs were used 25 yrs from 1965 to 1991

* Bridge busters, ops duty in Angola

* low level flight

* On the deliveryflight from Lossiemouth to Kaapstad (Capetown), 1 bucs was lost at sea.

Edited by pappavis

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this guys?

My rig - I5 6600k @ 4.5 - Corsair H100i GTX - Maximus Hero viii - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG edition DDR4 3200mhz - Gigabyte 1080ti (Overclocked) - TM Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Rudder pedals - Oculus Rift CV1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Does anyone know, perhaps even the developers, which version of the Buccaneer is being modeled? =) S.2B? (in service '73-'94) Even more specific?

I'm trying to keep this list up to date with relevant years in service.

//Jarl