Development Update March 2016 - Part 2 - Hawk Patch

Hey Guys,

Following a Go / No-Go meeting we just had and feedback from ED testers and our own testers I wanted to make a post today specifically about the Hawk patch and it's current state.

As you know we like to keep you informed every step of the way even if we are having problems.

Let me start by saying no one wants to get this big patch out to you more than we do and we are so very close

So where are we at....

With the 1.5.3 patch due this week you will get the new and improved cockpit textures.

There are still some things to be worked on but the main bulk of panels base textures have been re-worked.

Details such as screw heads, oxy switch, LP Fuel Cock lever Etc. will be in the next round of texture updates as our artist sources parts for his PC as it blew up, great timing I know.

The EFM is complete, has been tweaked and signed off by the real life pilots.

However; when we switch to EFM we lose all current sounds; cockpit and engine.

This is expected as the aircraft is not using an SFM flight model and therefore stock DCS sounds.

We have been working very hard to get our custom sounds working and this is the current state:

Inverter, batteries, fuel pump, gyro's and GTS startup/shutdown are all working.

Adour engine start up in cockpit - currently working.

Adour running idle with canopy open or closed in cockpit (different sound) - currently working.

Adour sound changes depending on RPM - partially working. The sounds are blending but pitch is not increasing or decreasing with rpm setting.

External engine sounds are currently not working.

We are having issues with the sound API and are working hard to resolve these. Hopefully in the next few days as good progress has been made over the last few days but we are simply going as fast as we can on it.

Radios are also partially working. In one of the recent DCS updates the ability for DCS to detect our engine RPM suddenly stopped working (you can see this with F2 view status bar).

This has a big effect on radios working.

ATC will not respond to you if you request taxi out, take off or landing as the sim thinks your engine is dead.

We are working with ED on this one as something changed in the core sim and the code they gave has stopped working.

Somehow this has also affected the ability to talk to wingmen, AWACS, JTAC and other units, which were working as you saw from an earlier video I posted up.

This is one of those head banging against a brick wall moments for us!!

Here is a summary of the Go / No-Go list for the big patch:

Cockpit textures - Go

EFM - Go

EFM damage model - Go

Cockpit Sounds - Go

External Sounds - No Go

Radios - No Go

So, with these last two items not fully working we had to make the decision that we would not make the 1.5.3 patch in time this week.

Yes we could have released without these last two items but I am not comfortable doing that for obvious reasons, as much as I want to get you the EFM.

We were fully confident that we would make it for the patch but as with all software development some things happen that you just can't explain and have to keep at it until it finally works, especially integrating with DCS. It's not as easy as some people think it is.

I hope you will enjoy the updated cockpit textures coming in the 1.5.3 patch and as soon as I know when the next patch is due from ED and the two remaining items are fixed you'll be the first to know.

Thanks again as always for your continued patience and support,

Chris and the team.

Edit > Here is a quick video showing you the sound issues we currently experience, as some of you wanted to hear the Adour starting up. https://youtu.be/smtug1ZbK4k

Edited by Ells228

Yes, Chris, thanks for the transparent update! Much appreciated.

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Chin up and stiff upper lip, we will get there! Your candour throughout is much appreciated.

Per ardua ad astra

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Yes, thanks for the update. Looking forward to the new cockpit textures.

Shame about the snagging issues, fingers crossed you can get them sorted ASAP.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Thanks for the update. Oh well, that gives a little more time for small, last minute improvements for the next patch, like the hud-glass. :thumbup: What about releasing some kind of video instead? Maybe about gunnery with the ADEN pod or a more detailed video about the new EFM (signed off by real Hawk pilots). I know you have a lot on your plate, but it will make the wait a bit easier for us :music_whistling:

Edited by Schmidtfire

you've never been so closed to the complete module. ;-)

good choice : it's better to wait 2 more weeks for community congratulations, instead of an half update

In fact, what is 2 or 4 or 6 weeks more, regarding the long time we are waiting for this complete acclaimed update.

keep on the good work !

:thumbup:

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

thanks for the update! although I wished you would have reconsidered :(

Wouldn't people who want to hear their hawk as it flies be able to fly it on the stable version? And would it not be possible to copy-paste so we'd have two versions of the hawk in the game. One with sounds and one with the EFM, or would that entail to much work compared to how much longer it takes to get the sounds fixed?

I'm sorry for the questions. Myself and perhaps others have been bucking to try the EFM out since we first heard it was nearly complete early February. It seems a shame that it is now being halted for problems with the radio and the sound. I bought a beta after all! I expected bugs and problems but an early taste to the features :)

At any rate, much respect for your hard work and decisions.

have a good day, I hope guys where able to enjoy the Easter holidays.

Check my F-15C guide

The problem is the cockpit dll has been updated for all of the new stuff; EFM, sounds, Aden pod, radios, etc.

We stopped development of the SFM cockpit dll a long time ago, only keeping it current for ED patches.

It's not easy to copy/paste functions in without breaking it.

As much as it pains me not to release it in its current state, we simply can't.

As soon as the engine sounds are working Chuck will be making a video. He kicks me every day for an update so he can start filming :)

nice update, nearly there! i imagine there are some regrets and lessons learnt from offering two different versions of an aircraft? i love the Hawk and cant wait for the Eurofighter! shame the tuccano chat dried up what a trio that would have been. im only rated for propellers in the real world. anyway keep up the good work and we will contune to support you !

Thanks very much for the update Ells, it really is appreciated and nice to be kept informed of progress.

It takes as long as it takes mate. I would rather you guys get it right too. :thumbup:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Always disappointing when things don't work out as expected.

However, perfect customer interaction so not one bit annoyed at delay as I appreciate things don't always go to plan and not always within your control.

Keep up the good work (you're a real Gem, Ellis228) and looking forward to when it's completed.

Thanks for the good and transparent update.

I agree fully with your decision to wait with the release.

Those problems even if "minor" still sound too serious for even a beta release IMO.

Better to wait until the module is more solid.

Good luck with the work. :)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

What a shame, but whats the point in releasing a patch that improves some aspects while degrading others? Good decision and appreciate the clear communication.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

As ever Ells thanks for keeping the community informed. As one who bought the Hawk from your website we have seen this iconic plane develop over the past few months. I guess you and the other members of the coding team will need some 'serious cream' for all that head scratching!

Good luck with the final bug squashing sessions! Hoping for an April release!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-