Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

9 hours ago, Porkchopper said:

Nor do I. Comparing screenshots taken today in the current open beta, with those taken a year ago, show no difference. Same oversaturated colors.

I think the wording of the announcement is confusing. They're saying the Normandy map "is getting" a major update, but this appears in a newsletter released in concert with an update. Just not the update the blurb refers to. Hopefully something is still forthcoming. It's my least flown map due to it's bizarre color palette.

Get Barthek's texture mod for the Normandy and give it a go. It only changes summer textures so far, but these are the worst offenders in stock version anyway. Makes the map more pleasant to fly.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

13 hours ago, Art-J said:

Get Barthek's texture mod for the Normandy and give it a go. It only changes summer textures so far, but these are the worst offenders in stock version anyway. Makes the map more pleasant to fly.

wait. normandy has seasonal textures by default?

^ Yes it does, although no snowy ones. There's spring, summer and autumn scenery. Winter mission dates share textures with autumn. These are the best ones in my opinion, as an artist who made them was not on LSD or acid and because of that they're the only ones with relatively normal colours :D. 

Spring ones are bad but acceptable if your're drunk or wear sunglasses, but summer ones are absolutely over the top with colour balance. Unplayable without Barthek's mod for me.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that there has been a recent update to the Normandy map, does anyone know what Ugra plans on doing next? Are they still working on Normandy, or have they gone back to Syria/started something else?

There are still a lot of issues on the Normandy map. Follow the river from Le Harvre for example, and just about every bridge is either borked (vehicles fall through), under water, or both.  

• 2 months later...

Normandy map seems to benefit from disabling Motion reprojection, in VR where I have not seen much benefit to it in other maps. Despite keeping a steady 45fps looking left or right on the Normandy map and rolling I notice stuttering. This goes by disabling the MR. Otherwise Normandy works well and for me is the only map I can use for WW2 in VR as the channel map runs awful still after all this time. Unfortunately though the Normandy map looks outdated now, colours look wrong and it just lacks a little quality for me. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 2 weeks later...

a little teaser on the ED discord 'dcs-wwii-chat channel indicates that the Normandy map will receive an update to expand and include London and Paris

image.png

• Like 7

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

Group: DCAF

I wonder if the textures will be updated across the entire map to include the latest developments.  I am a map addict, always buy a new terrain, but thought that ugra dropped the ball a little with Normandy on first release.  It got better but still needs a revamp to bring it up to Syria and channel  standards.

I say channel standards now because after the last update, it is finally playable in VR.

Still can't help thinking that ED and the third parties should be getting together with shared basic grid technology so the maps can be slotted together seamlessly.  Instead of having to redo the channel map, then they could have gone North to East Anglia and Lincolnshire bomber counties, or gone South to italy.

Edited by Tinkickef
  • Like 2

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

So basically the entire area of the channel map will be covered by the expanded normandy map, rendering the channel map even more pointless than it already was before. Or am I missing something here?

A quick look on Google Maps shows that Paris is almost as far east as Dunkerque, which itself seems to be close to the end of the detailed area on the channel map. Hopefully they found a way to merge the two. I seem to remember a statement discarding that idea, but this would be the only way it would make any sense. At least the multiplayer-community would certainly like that, I guess.

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I always wondered why the two maps weren't one. There's lots of overlap already and both maps are pretty small. The two together I think would still be smaller than Syria. 

Personally, as someone who bought the Normandy map but not the Channel, I'm pretty stoked to hear this! The country between Paris and Normandy has lovely rolling green hills that would be a dream to fly through! 

I'm also a little surprised this hasn't generated more chatter, I thought this would be huge news! 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

22 hours ago, nick10 said:

I don’t see any European theatre ww2 aircraft on the horizon at all sadly?

I know there is talk of a Hellcat and Corsair (lovely) but can’t see any others coming anytime soon?

Well, they did just release the Mosquito and the C47 AI. But yah, maybe this European map expansion will be accompanied by some more new period modules! Rather than different variants of existing planes though, I'd like to see something new. The He111 posted above is a great candidate, or Hurricane, Typhoon, Me262... Any of these would be awesome! 

Edited by FupDuck

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

I have the Channel map which I like but it does seem it will be engulfed by an expanded Normandy map so wonder that that will play out. Improving the Normandy map is good news. 

• Like 1

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

GS has a video regarding the "2022 and Beyond" but he gets the Normady map wrong. The map covers almost the entire Channel map but some how, it does not have the white cliff textures. But I agree with him that the two maps may eventually merge into an even bigger one.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 3 weeks later...

My suspicions are that Normandy will, after the update to bring in London and Paris, for the foreseeable future, be limited to the new boundaries that including these two cities sets; this looks like it will cover an area from Bristol to Paris.

However it massively opens up an AO for the inclusion of a large number of Allied and Axis airfields and a wider useful chronology for mission builders.

Concurrently, I forsee that the Channel Map will be used as a foundation point for pushing East and maybe slightly North to include Belgium, Holland and the Rhineland, making the map more useful for Autumn/Winter 1944 scenarios.

Having a useful amount of overlap is no bad thing; plenty of times I would run into hurdles wanting to portray historical missions from an airbase on the Channel map that pushed further West or South into territory that was only available on the Normandy Map. If my theory bears out then it could spell more opportunity for realistic historical mission and campaign developments.

• Like 4

Or perhaps, they will completely overlap in space but  not in time.  ED has indicated a desire to see the Battle of Britain in the future.   Maybe the Channel Map will evolve to cover the time period of 1940 - 1942 and Normandy will handle 1943-1944, there were many major changes to existing and a significant increase in the number of new airfields in 1943 with the arrival of the 8th and 9th Air forces and the growth of the RAF, both existing squadrons and the influx of Article XV squadrons.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, 71st_AH Rob said:

Or perhaps, they will completely overlap in space but  not in time.  ED has indicated a desire to see the Battle of Britain in the future.   Maybe the Channel Map will evolve to cover the time period of 1940 - 1942 and Normandy will handle 1943-1944, there were many major changes to existing and a significant increase in the number of new airfields in 1943 with the arrival of the 8th and 9th Air forces and the growth of the RAF, both existing squadrons and the influx of Article XV squadrons.

Now THAT would be a good way to differentiate them.

Another option would be to offer the option for one of them to be in a more modern setting, e.g. cold war 80s.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 1 year later...