Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

The 80 or so airfields on this map are not enough airfields?

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:75472

Then there are the ALGs to added to that 80.

Depending on the map size, more airfields can be added,

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:70065

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:75080

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:70064

The map makers have enough to do without creating non historical options.

Its probably still very much a WIP, colours and lighting will probably be tweaked up till early access.

Better to say that now, than too late.

Las Vegas map looks amazingly beautiful, a 2016 thing.

On this WIP Normandy screenshot, I've the feeling of looking to Clodo (1), a 2001 thing, with the Oleg's unnatural colors palette.

Also the sea is not very impressing.

(1) that means also something that is not up to the quality of the Crimea map, already old in some way, to say the truth I've also loved the quality of the land textures in DCS.

It should be much easier to make excellent looking modern scenery than WW2 maps.

For Nevada, or any modern maps, they can use high resolution aerial or satellite images as base for terrain or building textures. For any historic map they have to recreate everything manually.

The 80 or so airfields on this map are not enough airfields?

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:75472

Then there are the ALGs to added to that 80.

Depending on the map size, more airfields can be added,

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:70065

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:75080

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:70064

The map makers have enough to do without creating non historical options.

Yes I understand that, give us the 80 fixed airstrips and also the custom spawn point capibilty(if easily possibe for the devs)... but for a person like myself who fly's off-line and makes his own missions...the user made small remote outpost would be very good use of one's own imagination

Edited by GT 5.0

It should be much easier to make excellent looking modern scenery than WW2 maps.

For Nevada, or any modern maps, they can use high resolution aerial or satellite images as base for terrain or building textures. For any historic map they have to recreate everything manually.

I was not talking of the 3d geometry of the landscape model, I was talking of the ground textures and the choosen colors.

I, too was talking of the ground textures. Terrain height mesh stays, mostly, the same throughout the centuries, but the ground changes a lot. That's why they can't use modern aerial images as base for WW2 era ground textures as they can do for modern era maps.

Thus they have to draw their own textures from scratch, choose appropriate colors etc. Plus the sparse vegetation of Nevada or other deserts makes it easier for the mapmakers, who don't have to recreate all kind of correctly colored and placed trees, hedges etc. A good texture, derived from aerial images plus some random clutter is sufficient.

Luckily they have millions of photos of Europe from WWII. They took overlapping photographs so they could get an idea of the height of objects too. I'm not sure if those photographs are searchable but I don't believe they'll have any trouble getting a realistic map for us. Then sadly, there aren't many people still alive who would know the difference if it isn't right.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hope the static objects have some nice effects applied to them, so that all the axis aircraft on the ground can be blown-up, ripped-in-two, set-afire, demolished, and just generally be taken-care-of so that nothing is left but a smoldering pile of junk :devil:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Still don't get why we are flying late model spits d9s and 109ks in a June 1944 Normandy map. Map should be holland or someplace.
You can blame Luthier for the choice :lol:. We forget previous history so easily.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• ED Team
Racoon, what is the actual status of the Normandy AI Units. Have a definitive list about them?

Work in progress ))

Please wait for a new screens.

My wish is that instead of temporary runways, we can place flyable aircraft anywhere on the map like we can static aircraft and then place a series of tents and supporting vehicles to create our temporary airfield in a suitable field. Some camouflage netting would be great too!

We have similar vision of this feature.

Still don't get why we are flying late model spits d9s and 109ks in a June 1944 Normandy map. Map should be holland or someplace.

This decision was made in time when RRG started Kickstarter campaign. I don't know their ideas because I've started my work for ED only this year. Now I'm just doing my best to make as much high quality planes/maps/units for WW2 as possible. As I mentioned in other topic I'll be glad to talk with any developers about new map for DCS (that could be Ardennes).

It is nice that racoon already referred to map expansions, perhaps Ardennes.

If the map expansion lies in a contiguous area, would it be possible to merge maps together?

Something like this could be very useful since Normandy alone is a rather limited area (about 200x200 kms) and has many potential small theaters at nearby locations (Dieppe, the Channel, etc). If, for example a 3rd party attempts to recreate a BoB scenario with the Channel, it would be a waste not to be able to use the current Normandy map to account for the southern part of the theater.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

• ED Team
So, what they said is, the possibility to place airfields on the map using the Mission Editor. Can we do this only in DCS 1944? Doing that only in DCS 1944 makes sense because imagine you placing airfields in everywhere on the map of Nevada or Black Sea? Ha!

Unless there is going to be seperation of DCS WWII and the rest of DCS World, I think most additions will work across the board... that said, its probably to early to know or for them to say.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

So, what they said is, the possibility to place airfields on the map using the Mission Editor. Can we do this only in DCS 1944? Doing that only in DCS 1944 makes sense because imagine you placing airfields in everywhere on the map of Nevada or Black Sea? Ha!

Contrarily, it would be a real shame if feature would be Normandy map only. This is something that has long been requested by people, without even taking WW II into context. There are an increasing number of aircraft in DCS, that can take off from / land to unprepared / expeditionary runways. Would make great mission building possibilities.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Hahhaha yes, but isn't it enough the FARP? What do you mean for helicopters?

The FARP is a bit more thatn that. Especially with nimble frontline tank killers like the Gazelle and the Bo-105 in mind it would be great to have the option to just place some ammo/fuel trucks somewhere on the map and be able to refuel from them near the frontline. That's how they operated during the Cold War. You can see such a frontline rearming at the beginning of this Bo-105 video (it's in german, but the pictures speak for themselves):

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The FARP is a bit more thatn that. Especially with nimble frontline tank killers like the Gazelle and the Bo-105 in mind it would be great to have the option to just place some ammo/fuel trucks somewhere on the map and be able to refuel from them near the frontline. That's how they operated during the Cold War. You can see such a frontline rearming at the beginning of this Bo-105 video (it's in german, but the pictures speak for themselves):

Got it. Great idea, yesterday I was flying the Kamov and when I was out of ammo, I needed to fly 20km back to the base, refuel, rearm and then back to the combat again. Also, it would be interesting if those trucks could rearm/refuel aircrafts. Like they do for ground units.

• ED Team

Now we are talking about this feature like a part of DCS, not just Normandy only.

But I'm not sure that we'll have more than grass/unpaved airfields for a start.

Good idea. We will think how to make this possible.

Now we are talking about this feature like a part of DCS, not just Normandy only.

But I'm not sure that we'll have more than grass/unpaved airfields for a start.

The level of involvement with the community of the ED team and statements like this from a developer make me glad that I got started in DCS this month. Well, that and the incredible attention to detail and the super-accurate modeling, and the real connection to the aircraft it gives you. Keep up the amazing work, everyone! Hopefully I'll have tamed the P-51D on takeoff and landing a bit better by the time Normandy releases! :pilotfly:

Edited by Eclipse

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant