Don't let Force Feedback Die!!!

I wanted to share my opinions on the use of force feedback in flight simulations, especially DCS World. I've been flying simulators for quite some time. Ever since I got my Microsoft Sidewinder I have been hooked on the ability to really feel responsive input from the aircraft I'm flying. I've been through 3 other flight HOTAS setups since that time and I finally fell in love with the Logitech G940 HOTAS. I know a lot of you have read about its crappy pots and its inability to properly register axis direction change without using a software fix compromise, but to be honest I don't think I would want it any other way. I need my force feedback. I have noticed that the A-10C force feedback is now broken. It is impossible to trim the nose down with FF on. Full forward trim and I still have to push the stick forward to maintain straight and level.

This is also a big problem with the Su-27. The flanker is a nightmare to fly with FF on. I don't even bother. It is impossible to fly. The plane wants to nose up so bad that even with full forward stick and full nose down trim you just can't keep it from climbing. Don't get me started on the helicopters. I like flying the Huey and the Blackshark but good luck because as soon as you engage the AP the stick will recenter in the wrong place and you have to fight it to keep the bird from smashing into the ground.

Developers!!! If you need to know how to make FF work, please look toward the F-86, Mig-15, F-15, Mirage, P-51. All of these aircraft's FF work so well that it should be illegal. It is an absolute pleasure to fly them.

Which brings me to 2 points. Are there many people that feel the same way I do?

And secondly if any developer needs help testing a FF profile I would be so so so so so happy to offer my time to help figure out what feels right.

Please don't stop supporting FF. Please don't give up on FF.

FF through the joystick is a must for me and surely must be kept in development for the future, as without it the aircraft just feels dead to me. With FF the aircraft is alive! The Mig 15 and P51D are brilliant with FF and I am very much looking forward to FF with the Spitfire Mk IX and XIV :)

Also, FF with the Gametrix FF seat is brilliant and adds another level of immersion :thumbup:

I have a FF headset, FF joystick and FF Gametrix seat and the immersion is great!

I just don't understand why there are so few FF products available for flight simulation. FF helps me fly faster, with more precision, climb more efficiently, and is great for feeling trim and being able to set trim quickly to the optimum, and sensing the aircraft around you with the feeling of actually flying through atmosphere.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

This is also a big problem with the Su-27. The flanker is a nightmare to fly with FF on. I don't even bother. It is impossible to fly. The plane wants to nose up so bad that even with full forward stick and full nose down trim you just can't keep it from climbing. Don't get me started on the helicopters. I like flying the Huey and the Blackshark but good luck because as soon as you engage the AP the stick will recenter in the wrong place and you have to fight it to keep the bird from smashing into the ground.

I've got a FF2. I love FFB feeling. but never experiment such problem.

: for sure when you trim Su27 for level flight your stick is forward but not that much.

for helo : set it to not recenter your stick in "game settings" and without the rudder trim: those fonction are for non ffb user, when you trim it without this option checked, the stick stay where it should be when you trim.

FFB is a must have for Huey - mi-8 and a pleasure on all other DCS aircraft.

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I've got a FF2. I love FFB feeling. but never experiment such problem.

: for sure when you trim Su27 for level flight your stick is forward but not that much.

for helo : set it to not recenter your stick in "game settings" and without the rudder trim: those fonction are for non ffb user, when you trim it without this option checked, the stick stay where it should be when you trim.

FFB is a must have for Huey - mi-8 and a pleasure on all other DCS aircraft.

Which FF stick are you using? Have you experienced the A-10C FF recently?

MS FFB2

a10C : I'll give it a try but last week everything was allright as far as i've seen.

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

Which FF stick are you using? Have you experienced the A-10C FF recently?

Helicopters have an option for 'central position trim' or suchlike. When it is on trimming the stick is designed for non FFB sticks (i.e. centering the stick will keep put the in-game controls in the new trimmed position). Try switching it off and see if that helps.

• 1 year later...
This is also a big problem with the Su-27. The flanker is a nightmare to fly with FF on. I don't even bother. It is impossible to fly. The plane wants to nose up so bad that even with full forward stick and full nose down trim you just can't keep it from climbing.

That's true, it's impossible to keep her level without pushing further forward with full forward trim above ~380-400km/h. Reported that bug like years ago, even with tracks and screenshots but it seems neither the devs nor the mods would even just acknowledge the fact that there is a bug at all. At least I can remember some moderators denying there's a bug with FFB+trim...

The only other FFB issue in the most recent versions is the well known double trim in case of both the MiG-21bis (acknowledged and assigned in LNS bugtracker) and the Viggen (guess they just took over the MiG FFB code and adapted it to the Viggen).

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

That's true, it's impossible to keep her level without pushing further forward with full forward trim above ~380-400km/h. Reported that bug like years ago, even with tracks and screenshots but it seems neither the devs nor the mods would even just acknowledge the fact that there is a bug at all. At least I can remember some moderators denying there's a bug with FFB+trim...

The only other FFB issue in the most recent versions is the well known double trim in case of both the MiG-21bis (acknowledged and assigned in LNS bugtracker) and the Viggen (guess they just took over the MiG FFB code and adapted it to the Viggen).

Yea, I'm a much happier pilot since I just dropped FF from my things to try and get working correctly. I am still using my G940 but when it finally goes I wont be getting another FF stick. Unless of course I get some sound proof they are working to resolve the inconsistency in the modules.

"I like flying the Huey and the Blackshark but good luck because as soon as you engage the AP the stick will recenter in the wrong place and you have to fight it to keep the bird from smashing into the ground."

works like a charm for me with my FFB2 . be aware you have to set special ingame option / Huey or Mi8 / unckeck " the back to center on trim thing"

also don't check "rudder" trim

with FFB2 all binding axes with FFB must be set to "invert X-Y" don't know for your stick.

edit : oops old thread. and ever answered to this one. "to resolve the inconsistency in the modules." : nothing like that on my side ... works like a charm

Edited by snowsniper