Leatherneck Q1 Development Update - Part I

Cobra847

Thanks for the update!

I was dreading coming to this thread because I thought it was an April fools joke :lol:

-SilentGun

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id love the carrier to be in the base game to help diversify the US naval options in the game. They seem a bit imited currently in the game. Looks fabulous so far though really looking forward to what come sout of this.

Well since we have no US carrier aircraft atm i dont really see much reason for it =P.

And if you buy one of the Carrier airplanes that are upcoming you are likely to get it together with a Carrier.

And the SU-33 would likely not work with a US carrier.

Sure it has the arresting hook so it can probably land on one.

But it cant use a catapult and as such it would be hard for one to take off.

Maby if you use the entire carrier length and minimum of fuel / weapons.

But with a full weapons load even with 50% fuel it would likely not be possible for a takeoff.

holy crapola... 1GB for the paint kit

edit: 2.1GB after unpacking

I think browsing your template taxes my PC more than DCS does. The level of details is insane... photoshop is showing 3.5GB used.

Edited by gospadin

Well money just waiting till your ready very nice update well worth the wait.:thumbup:

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Ok, as the April 1st is finally over, can we get the real update now?

Just kidding :P

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Sounds interesting indeed. While visuals look excellent I am somewhat concerned about the capability in avionics department. Tomcat is complex bird, quite complex. At the same time looking at all the woes and troubles making simplistic MiG-21 gunsight work as expected, I have my doubts.

Sort of...

The Tomcat has a lot of systems, that's true, but many of the components on an individual basis are not so complex.

Part of the F-14A's (compared to the F-14D) heritage is a large number of inherited systems. In particular, the AWG-9 and TF30s were direct carry-overs from the TFX/F-111B project (which date to 1965). After the F-111B project fell apart, Grumman came forth and had a design proposal ready in short order and claimed that it could deliver a first flight and development aircraft in short order. This was partly due to the R&D work they did as a subcontractor for the F-111B and because they planned to use a lot of systems that had already been developed.

They were using the weapon system and RADAR from the F-111B (with only very limited updating), interim engines from the F-111B (the 17th aircraft off the line was supposed to receive the F401 - same core engine as the F100 in the Eagle), the wing was actually the same basic wing used on the A-6 along with the A-6's landing gear. Many of the avionics were new, but not cutting edge. Most of what I've read on the topic states that the F-14A/B's avionics were really 1960s vintage.

Because the Tomcat was to be a 2-crew aircraft, there was less pressure to create novel systems to reduce crew workload. The cockpits were much more ergonomic than the F-4 and included early HOTAS functions, but the USN didn't invest in novel systems the way the USAF did with the Eagle (or Sweden with the Viggen - for that matter). With the Eagle, the USAF was converting from the 2-crew Phantom to a single-crew fighter, so many new systems (including the HUD) were heavily upgraded in the process.

Still, the F-15A had some major man-machine interface problems that were progressively upgraded. The F-15C was a major leap forward in this regard.

Grumman had hoped to upgrade the avionics of the F-14 shortly after it entered the fleet (just like the engines) - this was the planned F-14C. But cost and budget constraints killed the program in the late-70s. The F-14D was approved for production in 1984 and had vastly more sophisticated avionics and systems. It's systems are truly comparable the the F-15C, F-15E, and F/A-18C.

But the F-14A/B...they are complicated (lots of systems), but not necessarily sophisticated.

On the Leatherneck side of the discussion, the MiG-21 is their first module and is still being continuously upgraded, but Leatherneck created an entirely new codebase for it's subsequent aircraft. They have stated before that the new codebase was based on mistakes or limitations built into the MiG-21 (I'm paraphrasing - I think that I have it right).

With the Viggen and subsequent aircraft, they are aiming to significantly improve all parts of the module and sim experience.

We've also spent a lot of time improving every aspect of our simulation with the Viggen.

I would weigh your concerns based on what comes next, which may or may not allay your fears. :)

-Nick

I really appreciate these in depth development reports. Well presented, well lit renders, and the gif was a welcome inclusion. Nice to see we are at a point in sims, where the hydraulics of the wing spoilers are correctly modelled, visually. Impressive. Top points for presentation, it sets a standard for Licensed Third Parties.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sort of...

I would weigh your concerns based on what comes next, which may or may not allay your fears. :)

-Nick

Very fair points, Nick. Hopefully that will be indeed the state of things. I even would not mind paying a few more bucks for V2 version of MiG based on the updated technology. This legendary bird has to be perfect :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

F-5 (oops I mean mig-28!!) and F-14 in 2016.

Top gun scenarios are coming!!

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

Woohoo, she is coming together nicely!!! I love all the fine details in the hydraulics of the spoilers and flaps. I can only imagine what this will look like fully skinned! Keep it up LNS, and let us know if you have any video so we can get a glimpse at how she flies!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

Tomcat will be so awesome that we all will need to buy more powerful PC.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

Quick question. Are you guys planning on releasing the A or the B model first? It appears like (at least from the exterior shots) the renders are of the B model, judging by the engine petals.

Frisco1522

The cockpit as well is the one of the B

The cockpit as well is the one of the B

Actually, the only published renders are of the F-14A cockpit. The two are very similar, but there are a couple of small differences.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2356192&postcount=1

Pilot's F-14A cockpit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=115299&d=1426908908

We plan to release both at the same time.

Glad to hear that. Hopefully you'll also post a few F-14A renders in the not-to-distant future. :)

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213