Lockon Online Dynamic Campaign

Hey all, well some good news. The campaign engine I have been working on is finally up and running. I wanted to post this to give some general background and to set expectations etc.

1. What does it do?

LODC is a small application (140k) that runs on dedicated lockon servers. The admin first creates a campaign file which contains a list of mission files and victory conditions. The administrator then launches the campaign. LODC monitors the progress of each mission to determine when a team is victorious. When a team wins, the players are given a set time to land before the victorious team advances on the map. If the advancing team is victorious when the losing team can retreat no further, the campaign is won.

2. Where can it be played?

Right now just on the 42SF-Stat dedicated server (max 12 players). It will be on and off a little over the next 4 weeks as revisions are tested. Current victory condition for the test server is a number of ground kills. Both Red and Blue must score 60 ground kills. The first to score 60 ground kills wins the mission. The test campaign has 3 missions only. Starting with a battle for Kerch, with battles for Anapa and Kirov following. This will be expanded as testing progresses.

3. What does it not do (yet)?

At the moment, the mission files themselves are still static. Once the rotation and victory application is well tested and any remaining bugs addressed, I plan to address this limitation.

4. Feedback

Always welcome. Theres a lot of ideas in the roadmap for this little app, but if you see bugs or anything, please PM me or post in this thread.

I know Swingkid has done a lot of awesome work on Skywars. LODC is by no means as dynamic as skywars, but hopefully it will make for some interesting online play. Ultimately it will be dynamic, providing there are no major setbacks in future releases or patches like BlackShark etc.

Swingkid if you're reading, I'd still really like to work with you on these dynamics apps. PM me anytime.

• Like 1

Unfortunatelly my ping to your server is around 450-500ms.

Would you be interested in running this application on 504th server? I'm very interested, but since I'm not its admin, I'll talk to Zorlac and see what can be done.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Just had a brief chat to Swingkid talking about enhancements ED could add that would make apps like LODC much more immersive. Below is pretty much my response to SwingKid. If anybody else has ideas on what could be added, please post here.

------

Hey SwingKid,

Yeah essentially today a campaign is a set of static mission files. The campaign.ini file contains the list of missions and their victory conditions. I don't run any LUA, just process mplog to determine when ground kills are made (which is the limit of victory conditions right now). That could be increased to ship kills and a2a kills easily, but first things first.

One thing I would suggest to ED is making mission objectives log to mp_log.txt or lua local exports as soon as they are achieved rather than at mission end. Additionally the ability to use user assigned objects as objectives. Currently only static objects like bridges or buildings are correctly recognised as being destroyed, and you only get an mp_log.txt entry once the mission is finished. For a system like LODC that is not very useful. If however it logs that the objective is complete before mission completion, then we have a very interesting new set of possibilities. Like having objectives to perform CAP while ground pounders take out some bunkers etc.

Ultimately I'd like to work with the dynamics more so the results of the last mission have a more direct and noticeable impact on the next mission. I've played with the mission files briefly and found I can modify them programmatically, but only when they are sub 64k or so (not much use for online). The OLE compound header is the obstacle, but it could be cracked with a little time. Whether or not they would frown upon that I don't know. It's all in the spirit of increasing game play of Lockon. Good for us, good for them?

In order to enhance the online portion, it would be excellent if ED allowed the server to send team messages to red or blue. Currently LODC sends messages every ten minutes like: Progress: Red(10/20) Blue(13/40). I'd like to create wing command messages from the server. So I can send messages to the single team as if the commander of that combined air force. Gives it more effect.

But probably one of the biggest things I would ask for is the complete the ability for the server to export world data locally without enabling it as export to clients. That would enable all sorts of enhancements.

:)

What do you think?

------

Man, I wish I have more spare time to try your DC. Looks very promising.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

• 1 year later...

Too bad Ed doesn't make the code.. and patch it,, or Paul could make a DCG version for it at: ithttp://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4531011885

:pilotfly:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Would be interesting to know the current status of the project seen as the thread is a little over a year old.......:music_whistling:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Wow, this one was revived from a while back. LODC was up and running perfectly. Goya helped a lot with the testing (thanks G). We ran a few campaigns, but the community was pretty quiet as this was all going down, and there wasn't a lot of interest, so I haven't touched it since.

I have the code still. Since it was prototype, there was a fair few manual things that needed to be done on a server, like making some directories etc. Campaign files are XML and trivial to make.

Since the online community of LOMAC isn't as robust as IL-2's I would think making an off-line DCG (dymanic campaign generator) would be a better idea. No?

Not necessarily better. But the main point is that LOMAC does not provide enough post-mission data to would allow a DCG like Lowengrin's to function. For example, there is no record of AI v AI kills.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed it a lot. Note that I'm a big fan of dynamic campaigns and Storm is still very much in developement. Many of the features are still missing, but things seem to be progressing all the time.

Lock on MUST have a dynamic campaign with multiplayer capability AND toe-brakes on an axis

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/