Wingman: affirm, rejoin, rtb

paulca

So I have been reading through a few of the wingman issues threads trying to work out if my own issue has been reported, but it's very unclear.

Is there a list somewhere of open AI wingmen bugs?

1. My first issue is this sequence which happens far too often.

Me: 2, Attack armor at my SPI with (anything really) from the South.

WM: 2, affirm

WM: 2, rejoin

WM: 2, RTB

Following this he appears to rejoin and he will still accept new commands. Sometimes repeating the same call sequence and he will operate normally.

2. My second issue is the "False acknowledgement".

Me: 2, Attack armor at my SPI with (anything really) from the South.

WM: 2, affirm

... minutes pass....

Wingman is still flying behind me in formation. Doesn't bother to do what he was asked to. Sometimes repeating the same call sequence works.

It seems that something somewhere is causing the AI to abort the task very early on, after he has 'affirmed' the request. He either panics and goes to "rejoin" and immediately "RTB" but settles on rejoining or he just silently rejoins.

I don't think the issue is my procedures and radio setup as repeating the same command often works to get the wingman to actually run in.

3. My third issue is the never ending attack wheel dance thing they do occasionally. They orbit the target, slam the brakes on start to turn in on the target but turn back out and go to full throttle and orbit round some more. You can watch them do this for ages, I typically recall them again.

IMHO none of these would be 'that' annoying if there was an indication of what was happening.

* Proper feedback from the AI when he can't do something or when he aborts an attack.

"2's off target, lost visual"

"2's off target, no more mavs"

"2's off target, it's too hot", when he spots AAA he isn't ready for

... or when he refuses a task ...

"2, negative, no tally"

"2, negative, no ammo"

"2, negative, too hot"

* Requestable feedback

[2, give me a sitrep]

"2, running in on armor at your SPI with mavs"

"2, in trail"

"2, rejoining 3nm out"

"2, RTB'ing"

It's also annoying that he doesn't respond when you tell him to rejoin when he already is rejoined. There is little way to know he is even there if you can't see him unless you order him to change formation or attack something.

There are other anomalies that I can live with, like shooting a MANPAD with a maverick, fine, but firing another maverick at the comms guy stood beside him... really? "I think you got him!"

• Like 1

I agree there is big potential improvements to be made on the COMs side of things... I guess it will eventually come (with ATC improvements also) but not before they have properly merged the 1.5 and 2.0 versions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

Ever since the latest update my wingman is not responding to orders in the A10C. Also the giant grey box around the cockpit instruments is not helping. Mostly the new update is pretty good, especially for Oculus

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Been having this issue since the beginning. Having such an unreliable AI sure does make it difficult to complete any mission where working with AI is essential to that mission's success.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Any hint on how to solve this?

Not really. I believe ED need to rework the entire AI, and there have been no hints as to when that might happen, at least not that I'm aware of.

In the meantime, it usually helps to be close to the target area before issuing an attack command to the wingman; something like 5 NM works a lot better than 10+ NM. Overflying the target beforehand could also help.

The more general commands "Two, engage air defenses" or "ground units" and so on (without specifying the location or the weapon) also tend to work better than the more specific ones, but it's not uncommon for the wingman to engage that single Igla guy 20 NM away behind a ridge line that the AI spotted in the rear view mirror, rather than attacking the whole bunch of Shilkas that the player is struggling with right at that particular moment... :music_whistling:

• 3 months later...

Same issue here.

Example:

- UHF-Frequency = correct

- TAD = "SPI ON"

- marked target as SPI (TMS forward long)

- UHF/MAIN/WINGMAN/ENGAGE WITH.../STANDARD

- Wingman responds: "affirm", "rejoin", "rtb" but stays in formation

Tried several targets, several formations, several commands to attack (ENGAGE/ENGAGE WITH...).

I watched that tutorial

I followed that instructions/hints and my wingman followed my orders in a self-built test mission, but he didn't in the A-10C-Mission "Hideout". It makes no sense to try to solo a mission while the wingman is doin' nothing...

Any ideas or hints?

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Try waiting till your wing-man calls out the threats, then he should engage provided he has suitable weapons.

Rotor57

My Rig; Intel i7 3770K @ 3.5_32GB RAM_GTX 1080 _X55 Rhino Throttle_TM_Warthog Flight Stick_TM Pedals_28" 4K Eyeball Bleeding Monitor::doh:

Take off is optional, landing is not::pilotfly:

FC3; CA; NTTR; P51; Spitfire; F86F; Mig15; F5; KA-50; AJS 37 Viggen; UH-1H; F18C; A10-C;M2000;AV8B-N/A;Christen Eagle;

Try waiting till your wing-man calls out the threats, then he should engage provided he has suitable weapons.

Is there any command to force the wingman to do this or do I have just to wait until he calls out the threats unrequested?

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

Is there any command to force the wingman to do this or do I have just to wait until he calls out the threats unrequested?

The latter.

You can try to guide them as close to the targets as possible, but it's a fair bit unpredictable anyway.

Sometimes they won't attack, or call out, targets that are obviously right in frigging front of them. Other times they're like "SAM, 7 o'clock, for 18". It's hit and miss, really (pun intended :)).

No way. Wingman doesn't work in mission "Hideout". He started calling out targets, I've marked one of the targets at WP 6 as SPI, shared the SPI (DMS left long) and, at a range of ~8 miles and an altitude of ~8.000 ft I ordered him to attack with MAV. Answer: "roger" and after a few seconds "rejoin".

Next try was to let him anchor at WP 5, then I gave the command to attack (any ground target) and he answered again "affirm" & "rejoin".

In the following attempts i tried several commands (several specific and not a specific weapon, several types of ground targets and any taget), but nothing worked to force him to attack.

In other missions and in the campaign "Georgian Hammer" my wingman works properly. That's just frustrating...

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

• 2 months later...

Just did the hideout mission as well. Designate any target in the target area, get the affirm and rejoin. Told him to attack tragets of opportunity, and he flew off into Russia to get shot down.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

• 7 months later...
No way. Wingman doesn't work in mission "Hideout". He started calling out targets, I've marked one of the targets at WP 6 as SPI, shared the SPI (DMS left long) and, at a range of ~8 miles and an altitude of ~8.000 ft I ordered him to attack with MAV. Answer: "roger" and after a few seconds "rejoin".

I've re-tried the mission today, but the wingman-bug is still there. Maybe the bug only occurs in the german language version (I've attached the original mission-file for testing purposes).

It would be great, if someone could share the original (english language) version of this mission here. The mission path for the steam version = {steam games folder}Games\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Missions\Single

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

It would be great, if someone could share the original (english language) version of this mission here. The mission path for the steam version = {steam games folder}Games\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Missions\Single

My request is obsolete - I've got an well working english language version of the mission "Hideout".

Hideout.miz

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2019 at 8:47 AM, baltic_dragon said:

I found that “attack target at my SPI” almost never works. But the general “engage ground targets” etc works somewhat more often. Still, it is a big problem.

A-10C wingman is still broken

Put SPI on target (via TGP), SPI broadcast on, tell wingman to attack targets at SPI - "affirm", 3 seconds pause, "rejoin".

ED, for gods sake, fix this please.

• Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

How do I make the wingman follow orders? This time he even seemed to turn on target.

I have alse been receiving "RTB" when I tell him to rejoin sometimes, though he does rejoin, so thats just a radio response bug.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 6:22 AM, dorianR666 said:

A-10C wingman is still broken

Put SPI on target (via TGP), SPI broadcast on, tell wingman to attack targets at SPI - "affirm", 3 seconds pause, "rejoin".

ED, for gods sake, fix this please.

How do you direct wingman to attack your SPI? No such "attack my target/SPI" item appears in my wingman or flight comms menu options. 

Edited by Nealius

7 hours ago, Nealius said:

How do you direct wingman to attack your SPI? No such "attack my target/SPI" item appears in my wingman or flight comms menu options. 

Here's a short tutorial, just follow the instructions in this video:

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[OS] Windows 11 Pro